My Maltese Is Snapping And Growling At My 2 Year Old

Hi all. I have had an 18 month old Maltese for about 10 days now, and noticed early on that she was aggressive with soft toys, growling, and trying to break their necks. I was a bit suprised, as I didn't see this kind of behaviour in the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels I have had in the past. Since then, I have found that she growls at other dogs and growled and rushed at the cable TV guy the other day like she was going to attack him. Another day, a close friend of ours left her 4 year old with us for a play date with my kids. Our Maltese was growling constantly at this little girl for some time, as soon as she walked in the door, and I didn't know what she was going to do next. Today the dog has started snapping at my 2 year old's fingers, when the dog is on my lap. My two year old absolutely loves the dog, and gently pats her, saying how much he loves her, so I have been shocked when the dog snapped at my son in an agressive way. One of the times, my son wasn't even touching the dog, but had the smell of Ritz crackers on his hands, as he had been sharing his crackers with the dog a minute earlier.

My first question is, are Maltese dogs usually a bit aggressive?

Also, do you think the dog is trying to establish herself above my kids in the pecking order? I tend to have the dog on my lap a lot, and it seems to be then that she snaps at the kids.

Thirdly, will training work, or is this dog just not suitable with young children? She is a lovely dog most of the time, but sometimes she concerns me, and I'm not sure what she's capable of.

This dogs needs a little boot camp treatment.

NO:

being on your lap

being on furniture

allowed any unsupervised interaction with children

one little growl at all at anyone

no undeserved treats (as in the dog is just being fed treats for existing)

start obedience now and the dog has to do something for any treat it receives. As soon as the dog growls sin bin it, be it outside, laundry etc and not let back into the pack until it settles down.

The dog sounds like its just posessive, especially of you, and sees itself higher in the pack then the 2 year old. Be VERY careful because your 2 year olds face is low and if the dog feels challenged it can snap at its face.

I wouldnt be letting the dog up on the furniture EVER until the dogs issues are sorted, even then ONLY when invited and then has to get off when asked. Put a little mat in the room with you and he can sit on that, if he doesnt like it outside. You need to be VERY consistant and persistant with this dog until he realises his place is at the bottom of the rung. Sounds like he's just been allowed to get away with having his way and is slightly spoiled.

Also look up NILIF (nothing in life is free) and check out

http://www.leerburg.com/pdf/packstructure.pdf

The dog needs to be assessed by a professional behaviourist so that an appropriate strategy can be determined that is suitable for everyone involved. Giving advice over the nternet without seeing the dog is not something that i and many others would consider doing with this kind of situation

I have to admit, I have been treating her like one of the kids. If the kids get a snack, the dog gets the same (although I give her snack last), and at times it seems like the dog is getting more time on my lap than my children. This dog really does listen. Today I have been telling her not to get on my lap, and straight away she will go and lay somewhere else. I have thought about keeping her off the furniture too, but wasn't sure if that would be mean. I love to hold her sleeping in my arms like a little baby, but it's not worth it if she's going to snap at my 2 year old. I guess I'm going to have to start treating her like a dog and not my baby. I'll check out that NILIF and link Nekhbet. Thanks.

Please get some professional help as this sounds serious.

Your instincts are correct- the growling and snapping are clear signs that she will bite.

A vet can check to see there's no physical reason why the dog would behave this way.

Then a behaviourist or good professional trainer can help if there's no physical problem.

Be realistic, also, this will cost money and take time and effort. You can be sued if she bites a stranger. A small dog can do significant damage to your children. If your dog does bite, it cannot be rehomed, it may be PTS by council.

Many years ago, I nursed a man who had more than a few fingers partially amputated from a dog bite i.e. dog bit them off! Breed: Maltese. I don't know that they're aggressive as a breed, however. Owners play a great part in a dog's personality, also.

What area are you in? Perhaps someone here can refer you to a good vet and or behaviourist or trainer?

The dog will see itself as higher in the pecking order than a 2 or 4 year old. I'm not sure there's much you can do for this very young age group, but you should all be above her in the pecking order. A professional, after assessing your dog face-to-face, should be able to give you some idea if training will make it safe for the dog to stay with your children.

In the meantime, please keep the dog away from any visitors and children. How would you feel if she really hurt someone? The signs are there she will.

Best wishes :hug:

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Sometimes when people get new dogs, especially rescue, they invite the dog into their homes and give them everything they want. It is easy to completely spoil a dog and baby it but you need to become a leader first.

The dog was probably elevated to pack leader as soon as it stepped into the house. I would do all the suggestions that Nekhbet gave you so you can start to enforce the fact that the dog is at the bottom of the pack.

You have to remember that a dog is a dog first. Only when it is sure of its place can you be less strict.

ETA this is the thoery, but like others have said, you should get professional help to guide you and make sure you are doing the right thing. There may be things about the dog or you that we cant see over the net, so best to speak to a pro.

Edited by jesomil

OMG Poodle W, bit the fingers clean off? I used to do community nursing before I had my kids, and I have to admit there was one lady who had 2 Maltese, and they were scary. I have a feeling that one of her wounds was a dog bite! I've been trying to put that out of my head.

O.K I've started a rule of no dog on the furniture, as well as not on my lap. She is currently in one of her dog beds next to me, instead of on my lap, so I've made headway already. I've booked us into a 9 week course of intensive obedience classes, starting tomorrow night. The classes are run privately, by a couple who also do one on one visits in your home for dogs with behavioural problems. They have been doing it since the 80s and are very experienced. I have discussed my dog with them, and they said that it will be a bit harder because my dog is not a puppy, and has had 18 months to learn bad habits. Still, I am optimistic, as she does seem very smart, and will react quickly to a stern voice. Still, she just heard someone throw our local paper onto the drive way, and hasn't stopped growling.....

Hi Sally,

Good on you for taking positive steps with your new dog!

The suggestions already given are great, and I just wanted to add:

- make sure you tell the trainer at the classes you are going to about the dog snapping and growling, as they will be able to help you with that.

- Boot camp (or NILIF) seems harsh - who wants to have a dog that you cant cuddle and enjoy? - but she will not be in boot camp forever. Once

the ground rules are established, and she is not fighting against them or showing undesirable behaviour, you can start to reintroduce some of the things

you would like to do. (if she ever goes back to bad behaviour, go back to boot camp!)

- some things, you should probably stop all together though. These are (just from what you have said in yoru post):

* feeding her when your children are fed

* treating her as another child or a human family member.

You should find that treating her more as a dog will benefit her, you and your family and you can still have a loving, rewarding relationship with her.

Behaviourists can help immensely by setting out a program tailored to your family and your dog, and help you through it to the point where you are no longer doing anything that seems 'unusual'. I love DogTech here in Canberra - they are in all states though :wink:

Good luck with her (or is he a 'him'?). If you PM me your email address I will send you an article on NILIF. The think I find the best and most successful to start with is a feeding routine that involves the dog waiting for its food, and providing behaviours you request in order to get her dinner.

If i have problems I might:

- serve up the dogs dinner (after the family have eaten). Take the dog and food outside. Put the food where the dog can see it but not get to it (ie on a table or ledge). Go back inside, shutting the dog out. For 10 minutes :hug:. If during this time the dog plays up (barks, scratches at the door etc) they get told off verbally "NO" or "UH UH".

- when the time is up, and the dog is behaving well, go outside, tell teh dog to sit and stay, and move to put her food down. If she does *anything* at all apart from sit and stay, food goes back up on the table and you go inside for 2 minutes.

- repeat the above until the dog sits quietly while you put her food down, wait 10 secs with the food down without doing anything but sitting and staying. (I put the food 1-2 m away from the dog so it is not too hard).

The dog doesnt need to understand 'sit' or 'stay' to do this - they will know it by the end of the night though! Be prepared to go in and out all evening on the first night while the dog works out what is required of it and chooses to do it.

Hope this helps, and remember that if your children are in any danger of getting bitten, get professional help.

At the risk of being flamed, I have yet to come across a Maltese who is good with children. I am sure they are out there, but in all my years of vet nursing and grooming I do find the Malts are very quick to bite. I have a Maltese cross, who was terrible with kids when I got him, but now after a couple of years he is much better. I still don't trust him with my 2 year old (nor any dogs, but he the least) but I have also had to take him down a peg or two. He would lift his lip if on my lap and my 2yr old came over, in which case he was quickly scooted to the floor and has now stopped it - but still licks nervously etc.. so I don't let him jump up during the day. He's learnt that couch cuddles are a night time treat only.

However I have also had to teach Grace not to approach Angus whilst he is on his dog bed as he gives off very nervous body language if she comes near him. It's a lot of supervision, but he is slowly getting better. G. knows not to run near him, be too loud etc... and talk quietly when patting him. She often gets the odd kiss from him these days. A far cry from the snaps and grizzles.

Totally agree with the NILIF, but also see BMP's point of still wanting to snuggle with the little dogs. We went with the NILIF for a while and got to a point where I felt we could loosen the reins a little and it's worked really well for us. You feel a bit guilty in the beginning but the dogs do adjust, I personally believe that dogs need that sort of direction from 'their boss' in order to feel safe in their

pack.

ETA: Sorry BMP, I didn't read your post properly and thought you were disagreeing with NILIF as you couldnt cuddle as much. No time to go back and fix my post, rushing out door.

Edited by Dru

Hi..have a look at this little online book.

Karen has a lot of good ideas and routines.

Well done for trying to sort this out before it gets worse!

Do you know the history of your new dog?

Maybe it has never been with kids, or maybe , if a rescue the problem may have been why its owners rehomed it?

http://www.safekidssafedogs.com/html/online_book.html

Edited by persephone

ETA: Sorry BMP, I didn't read your post properly and thought you were disagreeing with NILIF as you couldnt cuddle as much. No time to go back and fix my post, rushing out door.

Nope - I am NILIF through and through for behaviour problems and use it a lot in general too :hug:. For quite bad behaviour problems I have withdrawn all affection for a period of time, and reintroduced it as a reward for desired behaviour. But generally all dogs in my care get plenty of affection and cuddles. Some just have to work for it and have it on the floor rather than the couch :mad

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

Yes my dog is getting her affection on the floor now, which is harder for me than her I guess. I'll check out this NILIF, it might be worth using it at least to start with. I've always been very loving and affectionate with my dogs and kids, so it is hard for me to pull back, and I feel mean not letting her on the couch etc. but I know it will be worth it.

I'll check out that safe kids safe dogs book too.

Oh dear, better run, my 2 year old is teasing the dog with apple pie.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone!

You really need a Behaviourist consult. If you've only had the dog for 10 days then this behaviour is obvioiusly well established, not your fault, but NILIF and pack stucture training won't fix this- it will help- but your dog probably needs more than that.

ETA: This may sound harsh and I don't want to offend you, but if you rescued this dog and you have major concerns about it's behaviour and kids, then you may want to reconsider whether this is the best home for this maltese. Your kids are the priority here, maybe a young Cavalier would be a better choice if you are going to have lots of kids in your home on a regular basis.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Excellent advice in this thread all round, and I completely agree with this:

ETA: This may sound harsh and I don't want to offend you, but if you rescued this dog and you have major concerns about it's behaviour and kids, then you may want to reconsider whether this is the best home for this maltese. Your kids are the priority here, maybe a young Cavalier would be a better choice if you are going to have lots of kids in your home on a regular basis.

While I think it is a comendable thing to rescue a dog in need, your children have to come first. If you're going to keep this dog it's extremely important that you understand and be realistic about exactly what you are up against. This is not a small problem that can be fixed overnight, it may not be fixable at all. You want your children to be safe and you want the dog to be happy, so long as this behaviour is displayed it is a clear indication that you are not acheiving either aim :D

It's great to see that you have taken steps already to deal with the issue, I only wish all owners were so diligent when it comes to following advice that is in everyone's best interests, no matter what it costs or how much effort is involved ;)

Depending on where you are located someone may be able to recommend a qualified professional who can see the behaviour in person and give you more one on one advice.

The NILIF program really works I have done that from day one with my Maltese and have had no issues with him whatsoever Actually he was reared in my office and was surrounded by children and thus adores them. I guess I am one of the lucky owners of a Maltese.

I am sorry you are having issues I hope you get them sorted.

I'm happy to report that since I've started the rule of the dog staying on the floor (rather than on my lap, or on the couch), plus the dog sleeping downstairs, rather than in our room, she has not been aggressive at all. I'm still closely supervising her at all times, especially with my 2 year old who wants to talk to and pat the dog every few mintues. When I have said the dog has been aggressive, she has either growled under her breath, or snapped at fingers as a warning, without growling. She hasn't bared her teeth, or growled in a way a dog would do if it is going to attack. Still, I want to make sure she is trained in social skills and obedience, so that's why we're starting classes tonight. The dog has responded exeptionally well to the new rules, but it's my 2 year old son that is harder to train. He is always gentle with the dog, but he can be pretty annoying. I'm thinking of making a rule that my son can't touch the dog while she is in her bed, so the dog can have a break.

It sounds like a lot of people are saying the NILIF program works well, so I'm going to make the time to look it up right now. Kanga, your dog is soooo cute.

Sally:

I'm thinking of making a rule that my son can't touch the dog while she is in her bed, so the dog can have a break.

Very wise Sally! Youngsters and sleeping dogs alone would make that a good decision. Not all dogs growl before they bite by the way.. which is one reason you shouldn't discipline a dog for growling.. deal with what provoked it, not the action itself.

take note of all the great advise given here good luck with your dog and some traininga nd hard work ahead,, maybe a crate is in order too crate train him so he does have his won safe haven that 2 year old todler cant get to,.. i know its hard to watch baby and dog every min of the day and hard for the 2 yo to understand he just wants to pat and play with puppy.. haveing a crate would assure you he cant get to the dog while resting or time out etc. if you do a search on crate training if your not familiar with it you will find some very good threads...

Definitely dont leave 2yo with your little dog, thats asking for disaster.

Keep them separate and allow some supervised time together, some little dogs get very nervous around small kids (kids can be very rough unintentionally).

Can you let the dog have a little space in the kitchen/bathroom/laundry away from your 2yo? Maybe a baby gate placed strategically, as you cannot supervise them 14 hours a day.

Good luck with the training too. I can totally recommend NILIF, and always make sure you feed the dog after the humans have eaten. :cry: