Sardines

I have read somewhere in this forum about people giving their dogs sardines.

Is this okay as I have never given them to my dogs, but I am sure that they would like them mixed with kibble.

I was a bit unsure if they would upset their tummies or not.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rofl: Hey anniejack! Our two have sardines about twice a week, mixed in with their other food and they really enjoy them. :laugh:

The kelpie gets about half a tin, while the RR has a whole tin.

I also feed them tinned mackeral sometimes, its cheaper than salmon which I was feeding my previous RR on when she was recovering from cancer.

Any oily, cold sea fish is good a couple of times a week!

RG

I too have to say that I was suprised that any dog would eat sardines. We just got our first dog so we are learning a lot. Joined up here for some great discussions.

Is there any other seafood dogs like/eat?

Dogfish

dogs in fact prefer fish more than cats, the cartoons mixed it up! There are a lot of shellfish that I feed as well but its on a case to case basis. Some are allergic to prawns, others to crustaceans. I've feed abalone and scallops before to no known effect.

My two adore sardines and tuna. I mix each with their Nutro Kibble once a week- they get soooooo excited on sardine and tuna nights. Their coats are really shiny and I'm not sure if it's the sardines, tuna , raw eggs or Nutro. Great stuff - they love it and I love that they love it.

I also feed my dog sardines twice a week half a tin mixed in with dried food and she absolutely loves it, plus of course the oils are good for them. I just buy the no brand name in oil. However I would advise as with any new food introduce them into the diet slowly. I have heard of one owner who gave their dog a tin of sardines for the first time and their dog couldn't digest the new protein or something and had a messy reaction. Although don't be put off as everyone says dogs love sardines!

My two adore sardines and tuna. I mix each with their Nutro Kibble once a week- they get soooooo excited on sardine and tuna nights. Their coats are really shiny and I'm not sure if it's the sardines, tuna , raw eggs or Nutro. Great stuff - they love it and I love that they love it.

Amazingly enough... Scooter LOVES sardines bigtime! And Flame too... I should go out tomorrow and get some more from the local co-op. I have always liked sardines too actually. I have been known to open a can at work from time to time much to the amusement of my colleagues. They assume its some wierd European cuisine! :rofl: At least its not the stinky shark they like to consume in Iceland huh? :laugh:

Sardines are popular here too - except the cat won't touch them perhaps because of the oil?? Angus now recognises the tin and gets very excited!

I learnt my lesson the other day - do not hide the contents of the tin underneath the mince/ rice/ vegie mix in the food bowl as the boofa stuck his nose in and shovelled it all out so he could reach his precious sardines!

Seems like the oily ones are the ones to go for.

Is it ok to give them to pups, and how much does everyone fed their dog?

If you give them 3 times a week how much do they get at a time?

Dogfish

Yes my boys looove sardines or tinned mackeral (both the ones in fish oil) and it helps keep coats lovely and shiny and healthy too!

I am not a great fan of canned food as a rule but feed fish once or twice a week, great when away on a trip.

Never had any problem with runny tums either.

Annie and her boyz

We feed sardines once a week, as every-one says the dogs LOVE them, one of our Deerhounds prefers them in tomato sauce.......

Cheaper than sardines ( we have 5 deeries..... ) is Snappy Tom cat food, the dogs like it just as much.

Lark is a bit miffed as it does not come in tomato sauce..... she still wolfs it down......

Two cans is enough as an additive for 5 deeries and a whippet.