Puppies And Children

kirbydog

It's probably unrealistic to expect your 1 year old to heed your warnings. I've got kids, too, and despite what people say, you can't watch them 100% of the time without going bonkers. The dog will not see her as higher in the hierarchy for years yet due to her size. You can train your dog to be more tolerant, but this may have no effect in the situation as the dog's just woken up.

My 3 year old was quite successful at poking fingers thru a crate. You can buy or make a cover for the crate, however.

Crates are not meant to be used as a cage at all, but as a nice "den" for the dog, with his bedding in there etc. Can also be used for toilet training as dogs don't like to eliminate in their den.

Please make some change as if this continues, you can expect your 1 year old to get more than a nip from the dog :shrug: . Dogs are magnets to toddlers. Ours liked to wake the pup to give him teddies and blankets to sleep with :laugh: .

Could you could put your baby in a playpen when you're not able to directly supervise?

I like the idea of the crate as you can lock it and be sure both human and furry kids are OK. I bought one specifically for the time I thought I'd have to get a babysitter. They're less than $180 for the largest size :laugh:

Its tough and I am sure people didn't mean to seem like they were attacking you........I was shocked at first to read you tugged your pups leg when asleep and it was only as I read on that you didn't mean it as it sounded........

I reckon go to the 2nd hand shop and get one of those big wooden playpens.

It would give him a bit more room than a crate and you can train him to stay in there why your 1yo is most active. Put his bed in there, feed him in there, some toys etc........gives him a safe place to sleep and to be....

then when your 1yo is asleep or in highchair etc.....then the pup can come out and play!

When they are both older they may appreciate each other more!

"tugged your pups leg when asleep" but remember a child watches an adult do this & they just follow .Parents are role modles for kids & if they see adults do something they dont see its as wrong.

I did not do it in front of my child and I only did it once to see my dog's reaction. It was merely a test to see how he would react to me. My concern in my first post was to see if I can do things to build up my dog's tolerance to the awkward things kids do. She did not hurt him at all, allthough I agree with everyone that she should not do it and will be trained to leave pup alone when asleep or eating etc. Not withstanding that I still do not think nipping my child is okay under any circumstance as it is not okay to nip anybody else. This is dangerous behaviour and that is why dogs get put down and given to the pound because owners cannot deal with this behaviour. I just heard another story about a BC that got put down because it nipped a child while playing. As I think supervision is always necessary and I do not trust any dog with my child alone due to these risks I still think a family pet is not allowed to nip family members as a child is not allowed to torment a dog. In my mind this always goes both ways!

Well said kirbydog nipping can not be tolerated under any circumstances I was niped by a BC when I was little I was not tomenting her only feeding her but there was a thunderstom and she used to go nuts during storms it was not a big bite but they have big mouths that can do a lot of damage to a small child

I was told by a breeder that when the puppies are little and resting on your lap or something poke and prod play with it ears put your hands in it mouth ect. Not to hurt them or torment them and not where children can see you and copy but so the dog gets used to getting things done to them

Sound mean and people will be horrified but then the dog grows up much more tolerant not just with kids but when they have to go to the vet

"I was told by a breeder that when the puppies are little and resting on your lap or something poke and prod play with it ears put your hands in it mouth ect. Not to hurt them or torment them "

Must be the only breeder that suggests that & the fact is your are tormenting,whether it be animal or human when we are asleep & woken unexpectedly we all react differently .Humans react out of the norm & so do dogs commensense really.

We have a very simple rule "let sleeping dogs lie" & if you want something to happen awake them first & give them the deceny to be responsive to what is asked .

We in over 20 plus years have never tested the dogs whilst asleep & never ever will & have no issues at all with nipping.

When the dog is alseep & you start to pock about you are disturbing

"Sound mean and people will be horrified but then the dog grows up much more tolerant not just with kids but when they have to go to the vet"

Actually has no bearing at all especially with the vets its all about training which cant be done on a dog half asleep,just like a human driving a car tired your reactions are very different.

I was told by a breeder that when the puppies are little and resting on your lap or something poke and prod play with it ears put your hands in it mouth ect. Not to hurt them or torment them and not where children can see you and copy but so the dog gets used to getting things done to them

Sound mean and people will be horrified but then the dog grows up much more tolerant not just with kids but when they have to go to the vet

Could this just be a way of getting the pup used to physical examination (did they say to do it while asleep or nearly asleep or awake??). I agree with getting a pup used to having it's ears and mouth checked over, as well as feet etc. but this should be done when pup is calm, restful and happy (which I suspect is what Falling_dawn may have meant :rofl: ) - makes it easier when the dog has to be examined at the vet or for grooming issues.

I agree with letting sleeping dogs lie. My dog is deaf and startles very easily, especially when he is asleep - I always make sure to put my hand in front of his nose so he can smell me and he wakes up happily. Don't let my girls wake him though or touch him from behind.

I will be adding a puppy to our family by the end of the year - my youngest daughter will be nearly 2 years old. She has grown up around dogs and cats and while she sometimes tries to pick our new kitten up or hug the other cats too tightly, she also understands 'No' and will (usually :champagne: ) stop straight away. I think she understands that something may hurt them or that if she does it she may get a swipe from said cat - she learns quickly :) She is pretty good with my mum's little inside dogs.

Hope all is well with Kirby and your daughter :cheers:

ETA our new pup will be an inside dog and I have bought a crate mostly as a place for the pup to go as a safe haven away from the constant attention of my girls! I have two baby gates to also create an area for the pup.

Edited by kendall

I was told by a breeder that when the puppies are little and resting on your lap or something poke and prod play with it ears put your hands in it mouth ect. Not to hurt them or torment them

Could this just be a way of getting the pup used to physical examination (did they say to do it while asleep or nearly asleep or awake??). I agree with getting a pup used to having it's ears and mouth checked over, as well as feet etc. but this should be done when pup is calm, restful and happy (which I suspect is what Falling_dawn may have meant :thumbsup: ) - makes it easier when the dog has to be examined at the vet or for grooming issues.

We did the same things with our girls when they were little, for examination and other reasons.. but when they were awake.. never asleep.. and they are great to handle and the vet never has a problem.. that said, the 5YO was certainly HANDS ON with her as well..

Hey... My 2 Year old daughter gets along with my 9 month old puppy but sometimes she gets ruff u tell her no but she keeps goin back for more.. It is hard when he is an inside dog..... Kids are kids you can tell them one thing but i found she dont listen..its like banging ya head against a brick wall... I give him time out some days.. he goes out in his pen with a bone for a few hours to chill... Atm tho he is very sik :thumbsup:

"Kids are kids" would have to be the biggest cop out that I ever hear- and it is constant. You have to train both children and animals and follow up on what you say. That's when they start listening to you. Otherwise get their hearing checked. If I was the OP- I would allocate a safe place inside for the dog to sleep and have time out. Dog outside when you feel you can't supervise and never let the dog/baby unsupervised. Having a dog and baby is not easy- no one would have said it was. Most dogs aren't Lassie; the perfect baby sitter- they will nip, stand on babies, play too rough etc. It's about setting up the dog and baby for success. In this case prevention is better than cure.

Do you go & poke & prod your sleeping kids?

Or pull their limbs when fast asleep?

Of course you wouldnt... dont do it to baby puppies or dogs of any age for that matter.

Puppies & children ca be managed to live together wonderfully, use forethought.

Playpen for child, puppy pen for puppy, fully supervised play time utilising the word gentle for both with soft but authorative undertones.

Nipping can be stopped before it is started if you do not put your dog in a position where it will have to self defend.

Its not rocket science & its not hard, its just practical common sense.

Falling_Down, a dog that is scared during the storm is definitely one to watch, and should be kept in a safe place and kids away. One of mine gets scared of storms, and certainly is going to be in a safe place away from the baby when it arrives during storms. When they are scared and stressed they are not going to be on their best behaviour!

To showdog I belive I said "Resting" Not sleeping !!!!!!!!!!! as in a dog that is relaxed and calm Never would you do this when they are asleep and yes it is to get them used to going to the vet or if you have to check them or somthing

Edited by Falling_dawn

Why don't you teach your child not to grab a sleeping dog? Respect has to go both ways you know. I'd probably bite someone too if they grabbed my leg while I was asleep. If he wanted to hurt the kid, he would have. He was just giving a warning that he didn't appreciate being woken up like that which is fair enough.

As a mother to be with a very big dog I can see that this would be a difficult situation.

At the moment my opinion is that I would more likely teach the child what not to do with an animal rather than reprimand the dog for defending itself.

As human beings we understand eachothers language, animals do not understand us. You can teach a child from a very early age 'no' or 'gentle' which is what I intend to do and of course I will always be watching my dog to make sure that he pays the same respect to my child.

I think that as long as you are seen as the leader in your dogs eyes and the leader in your childs eyes, then you should be able to grow together.

I guess we will see in October when my baby comes along!!!

"Why don't you teach your child not to grab a sleeping dog? Respect has to go both ways you know. I'd probably bite someone too if they grabbed my leg while I was asleep."

Oh please tell me how you teach a 12 month old baby to immediately not pull on things :)

To the OP, do you have another room your dog can rest in? The reality is, you are either going to have to get a crate or play pen for your dog or not have him in the lounge room as much. Border Collies are not shy about having a bit of a bite if irritated and it's going to take a long time before you feel you can turn your back for even one second. I have three indoor dogs and one two year old child, it has taken sooooo much work to teach Grace not to touch dogs whilst on their bed, and even then she often slips up. One of my dogs is a fear biter so when she was around your little ones age it was simply too stressful on all parties to have them in the room together. The dogs either slept in the rumpus or in the play pen. It's taken two years to get to an acceptable level of calm in the lounge area - but even then I am always on the lookout for either dog or child crossing the line.

Edited by Dru