Quarantine

BLOWWY

:confused: hello everyone,

I have some very sad news i lost my 9 week old puppied to the dreaded :madParvo and was wondering how long to wait before i can buy a new puppy. the children are very keen but don't want to infect new life any advice Please

:cry: I'd check with the vet. You may have to get an older pup and make sure it has had all of it's vacc. if you want another soon. Say around 16 to 20 weeks olds. Parvo can live in the soil for several years. I would not risk having a pup around who is not fully vacc. during that time. Please check with the vet though, and maybe an older pup would be advisable ( only if FULLY vaccinated though).

A very dear friend of mine who has been breeding Rotties for many years told me you need to wait about 7 years. However the only way around this is if you disinfect the ENTIRE home and garden with a particular disinfectant. I think White King is the only supermarket bleach which carries the enzyme to kill the parvo virus. You will need to use this around your entire backyard as well....yes it will kill all of your grass and plants!!

If you really want another dog best to get an older pup that has already had all it's vaccinations ie. 5-6 months old.

In my experience I would also say that baby puppies are off your list of possible dogs now, sad but true.

The only dog you can safely bring in to your home is a fully vaccinated dog who is in excellent health and even doing that you need to clean up around your house & yard as much as is possible.

As a rescuer I have had parvo at my place a couple of times but each time it has been with a quarantined pup and we've been able to full bleach the area AND use F10 to clean up. I know that Panlewis have used another product that apparently cleaned up their property though I would be very careful. A committee member had parvo approx 18 months ago at her place and cleaned up very carefully HOWEVER a pup she was fostering 15 months after having no other dogs get sick, after a vet told her she had waited long enough, tested positive for parvo and it had never left her yard.

IMO it is just not worth the risk.

Yes a vaccinated dog can still get it however chances are lower.

Show dog, the thing here is that no one know how long to wait as some people have waited 2 years as that still is't long enough. Even with bleaching you can't possibly do your whole house and yrd, you'd miss little nooks and crannies.

Edited by sas

i just rescued a puppy two weeks ago today, i hadn't heard of parvo before. only having puppies in the country before, and now i am concerned, my pup is getting her second vaccination in 3 days time but im concerned because i have been taking her too the park and just staying away from other dogs, by that i mean running through bushes, property, and houses to escape from these unknown dogs. but i never considered that the actual park could cause issues with her, i looked up the symptoms of parvo and im not concerned, but she has been coughing, well its about 6 short breaths, then a half vomit which once a day or less results in a bubble of saliva. should i be concerned, i'll ask my vet in 3 days but it has made me move her from the floor to my bed with fear.

also i assume that a park would be a playground for parvo considering the huge verity of dog owners going there.. when i got her they told me to avoid going to public parks because of contact with other dogs. i never considered the park.

Most dogs (more than 80 percent) that are infected will show no symptoms.[12] Dogs that develop the disease show symptoms of the illness within 3 to 10 days. The symptoms include lethargy, vomiting, fever, and diarrhea (usually bloody). Dogs with CPV are also at risk for intussusception, a condition where part of the intestine prolapses into another part. After a dog is infected, there is no cure, but dogs usually recover from the viral infection and associated symptoms within five days with aggressive treatment.[12] However, diarrhea and vomiting result in dehydration and secondary infections can set in, causing death even in treated dogs. Risk factors for severe disease include young age, a stressful environment, and concurrent infections with bacteria, parasites, and canine coronavirus.[12]

Due to dehydration, the dog's electrolyte balance is destroyed. Because of destruction of the normal intestinal lining, blood and protein leak into the intestines leading to anemia and loss of protein, and endotoxins escape into the bloodstream, causing endotoxemia. The white blood cell level drops, further weakening the dog. Any or all of these factors can lead to shock and death.

according to wikipedia... i would just hope that if my dog was infected she would be in the 20 percent that do show symptoms.

I took my pup to the park on the weekend for a short time (10 minutes) because we cant leave her home alone while we walk out other dog. she sits at home and squeels REALLY LOUD! I didnt even know what parvo was or what it did till another dog owner explained it to me down there. So i quickly took her home and straight to the backyard! The fast facts i found are puppies are most vulnerable (some breeds more than others), dont take out in public until 7-10 days after 3rd vaccination (some debate this), lives in soil for up to 7 months, water and bleach kill it,most common symptoms are vomiting, and stinky stinky dhirrohea, and last but not least parvo is a dog owners worst nightmare :o

p.s sorry to hear about your loss and i hopefully you can get another puppy really soon :)

i just rescued a puppy two weeks ago today, i hadn't heard of parvo before. only having puppies in the country before, and now i am concerned, my pup is getting her second vaccination in 3 days time but im concerned because i have been taking her too the park and just staying away from other dogs, by that i mean running through bushes, property, and houses to escape from these unknown dogs. but i never considered that the actual park could cause issues with her, i looked up the symptoms of parvo and im not concerned, but she has been coughing, well its about 6 short breaths, then a half vomit which once a day or less results in a bubble of saliva. should i be concerned, i'll ask my vet in 3 days but it has made me move her from the floor to my bed with fear.

also i assume that a park would be a playground for parvo considering the huge verity of dog owners going there.. when i got her they told me to avoid going to public parks because of contact with other dogs. i never considered the park.

You're more than likely looking at kennel cough in this case rather than parvo. Secondary complications can be a problem with young dogs, they can develop bacterial infections and pneumonia, don't stress too much and have a chat with your vet about basic health maintenance strategies.

Most dogs (more than 80 percent) that are infected will show no symptoms.[12] Dogs that develop the disease show symptoms of the illness within 3 to 10 days. The symptoms include lethargy, vomiting, fever, and diarrhea (usually bloody). Dogs with CPV are also at risk for intussusception, a condition where part of the intestine prolapses into another part. After a dog is infected, there is no cure, but dogs usually recover from the viral infection and associated symptoms within five days with aggressive treatment.[12] However, diarrhea and vomiting result in dehydration and secondary infections can set in, causing death even in treated dogs. Risk factors for severe disease include young age, a stressful environment, and concurrent infections with bacteria, parasites, and canine coronavirus.[12]

Due to dehydration, the dog's electrolyte balance is destroyed. Because of destruction of the normal intestinal lining, blood and protein leak into the intestines leading to anemia and loss of protein, and endotoxins escape into the bloodstream, causing endotoxemia. The white blood cell level drops, further weakening the dog. Any or all of these factors can lead to shock and death.

according to wikipedia... i would just hope that if my dog was infected she would be in the 20 percent that do show symptoms.

Our pup had diarrhea the first afternoon, no blood, so I hit him with scourban, thinking gastro.(he had been in our house less than 24 hours)

Vomited three times over night, just bile, no blood.

Had bloody diarrhea the following morning, used scourban and straight to the vets.....

They too thought bad gastro, gave him fluids under the skin, maxalon (for vomiting) and antibiotics.

Vomited four times in two hours, so went to vet hospital a couple of suburbs away (has 24 hour care). Tested positive for parvo. This is six days ago.

Has had two bags of plasma, protein levels have dropped to 2%, on permanent IV with Plasma, saline, glucose, painkillers and antibiotics. have tried various meds for vomiting, though not working. Is being syringed feed with prescription mushy stuff (sorry, don't know what it's called) every two hours. They aren't tube feeding as they said it makes them vomit more.

Xrayed today to ensure fluid isn't building up in intestines or chest - all clear.

Tonight they are sourcing meds from the local private hospital (SAN) from oncology. It's what they give cancer patients undergoing chemo to prevent vomiting. Hoping it works.

My boy is a battler....nothing but skin and bone yet still gets up to vomit.

If he's not giving up neither am I.

I spend as many hours as possible with him nursing him on my lap, talking to him, rubbing him to help his circulation, change his blankets as needed to help keep him clean. He seems more relaxed when I'm with him, and I figure that if it helps it's worth it.

It's a horrible rollercoaster ride, and I'm just dreading the phone ringing incase it's bad news.

You don't even want to know what his current bill is at the vets... :laugh:

Re my house - I think I've become an environmental disaster with over 30 litres of straight bleach on my balcony alone :love:

I consider my house and car off limits to pups or any unvaccinated dogs for two years +.

I'm currently even too scared to let my dogs go out in public lest they spread the disease....I feel tainted, I feel the dogs are tainted. It's a crap feeling.

The irony.....I've done rescue for over two years, pulled plenty of dogs direct from the pound, never had parvo. This pup came from a private residence and viola, parvo...... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Stormy I really really hope he pulls through for you !!

How old is he ? Had he had any vaccinations ?

How many days he he been on a drip now for ?

Also just curious to know why they are still feeding him (or trying to) if he is still vommiting ?

I would have thought that it would be best to just have him on the drip (and adding vitamin C and all the other necessary via it) and not feed him anything if he is still nauseus to let his stomach settle down ?