Jack Had A Grade 3 Mast-cell Tumour

Mooper

Some DOLers and ARFers already know my bad news ... Jack the boofer had a lump checked during his annual vaccination a couple of weeks ago. The lump has been there for yonks, unchanged, so we thought nothing of it.

It came back as a mast cell tumour. A week after that he went in for surgery to have the tumour removed. It was about 15mm across, just under the skin, and was fortunately in a fleshy part between his ribs and hip on his right side.

Today we got the pathology results back ... it was a grade 3 tumour. :love:

We were so sure it was going to be grade 1! He's shown no change in behaviour, his weight is stable, his appetite is voracious as ever ... now, a week after the surgery, he's back to playing with his toys and being a lovable doofus. I just can't believe it.

They say every dark cloud has a silver lining -- the tumour was completely excised so the margins were all clear. *phew*

I'm going to do some reading to find out what we can expect next. Staffyluv and Ollie dog are a tower of strength, and I of course know about the roller coaster ride they've been on. I believe Ollie's MCTs were grade 2, but not completely excised. The vet said Jack's lymph nodes feel good; I'm not sure if there are tests she can do there, but I imagine if the cancer were systemic already, they wouldn't have found clear margins, right?

I know we need to keep checking for lumps constantly, and get them tested as soon as we find them, then removed if necessary. I imagine this can only go on for so long ... Jack will be 8yo in February and is otherwise strong as an ox, but the surgery understandably knocked him about for a couple of days this time.

Is there anything else we should be doing, or expecting? Other than saving up for the next bout of surgery or perhaps chemo, I'm not sure what to expect next.

Here are some pics taken after surgery last Thursday, so you can see how much they chopped out.

And here he is sporting this season's newest fashion accessory, The Dish.

Hi Mooper:)

Sorry to hear about Jack :laugh:

I went through all that with my last dog Jenna (if you can remember?)

Jenna was quite old tho, and it was inoperable in her case (it was found on her rump);)

I have heard of so many positive stories tho such as Ollie's.....whose still hanging in there :cry:

Joey and Renae's breeder is going through something similar with one of her dogs atm (Renae's mother) :cry:

She has been having lots of succesful treatments through a holistic vet here in Adelaide .

The last i heard, the cancer hasn't gone away, but had shrunken heaps, and the dog was doing very well !

All the best with Jack :)

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Moops they can get clear margins on an excision but that is no guarantee that it is the original site - you need to get a buffy coat test done and I would be asking for the lymph nodes to be aspirated (the ones near the site of the tumour) - don't accept they feel OK - get them checked.. You can never be too sure.

Sorry to hear about his grade 3 tumour but good news that it was all removed.

You know where I am if you want chat or a glass of wine...

J

Hi Mooper

My old Boxer girl (13 1/2 now) had a grade II mast cell tumour removed 10/03/2000 and another later that year. She is still with us and has never had any further treatment.

I had a wonderful vet who was took good margins around the sites (5cm from memory). The report stated a pale tan mass 12mm in diameter was removed. The excision appeared complete and the tumour fell around the middle spectrum of malignancy.

They gave a cautiously optimistic prognosis with periodical inspection of the surgical site due to the possibility of local recurrence.

Hope this is of some help to you and wishing you all the best with Jack.

Karen

I lost a beloved greyhound to mast-cell tumours a few years ago. Max had a small lump under his rib cage that was there for years. I didn't worry about it as it never grew. Then one day he came up in a large swelling on one of his thighs. Thought it was a bite of some kind, but turned out to be a mast-cell tumour, as was the lump under his chest. We removed the lump on his hind leg but ampution was not an option given that the cancer had already spread.

We did chemo, but we lost Max about 12 months later. He was not an old dog.

Fingers crossed for your Jack.

Thinking of you, Mr Mooper and Jack in this time :eek: and ;)

I only just got on after coming from a school day and saw the news.......:eek:

Now I'm really paranoid about Oi's lump on her tail cos it's been unchanged for ages. I showed it to Peter Burgess and he says it's nothing to worry about. I have booked Oi in to see Hamish on Monday. *fingers crossed*

I've got my fingers crossed and Orson and Oi their paws crossed for Jack. It's good that they have excised it all..........

My Jake just passed away from it.

Problem with it,is if u operate,the lumps can form inside as well as outside.It comes back with a vengence.

We decided that it was best to no operate after the first major cluster was removed,as the surgery could be dangerous anyway given that he could have renal failure.

Jake lived anouther 2-3yrs since being diagnosed and had perfect health up untill the weekend before her was PTS.

So sorry to hear of your situation...I know how hard it is!

Im welling up just thinking about it..!! Best wishes!

My Jake just passed away from it.

Problem with it,is if u operate,the lumps can form inside as well as outside.It comes back with a vengence.We decided that it was best to no operate after the first major cluster was removed,as the surgery could be dangerous anyway given that he could have renal failure.

Jake lived anouther 2-3yrs since being diagnosed and had perfect health up untill the weekend before her was PTS.

So sorry to hear of your situation...I know how hard it is!

Im welling up just thinking about it..!! Best wishes!

I would like to know who told you that rubbish... (in bold). It is simply not true.

If the cancer is systemic (spread) it will show up in other areas but if it is localised and has not spread and the full tumour is removed with clear margins on the excision, there is every reason to be positive about the outcome.

Two seperate vets and the shelter that i got him from told me this...Jake was already dying of Cancer when we took him on.

When we removed Jakes lumps,they grow around the areas,like warts.

This was true with Jake. Jake had so many lumps that to continue to cut at him would have meant that his last few years would have been in an out of surgery,and recovering.

This is not fair on the dog.

The vets words were simply,dont insult Jake by doing this,just let it be.

I didnt know you were a vet Staffyluv..i have plenty of questions for you in that case!!

ETA-Im adding what happened in MY case BTW..Jake was too far gone wen we rescued him. Sometimes its better to just let the dog be,instead of thinking wjats best for us. A positive outcome,would mean to me,that the dog lived happily until such time he can no longer survive.

Dont you think if there was a better solution for Jake i would have done it? I have had to have therapy over the loss and was put on anti depressants. I didnt make my choices lightly,and i made them with 100% Jakes best interest at heart and not my own! And to be honest i think a 2-3 year extension on life long after cancer was diagnosed IS a good outcome!

Edited by Lewis & Lyn

A few years is wonderful, Lewis & Lyn, and good on you for taking Jake on knowing that you would be managing his cancer issues.

Staffyluv isn't a vet, but has been on a steep learning curve for the past two years of her own Ollie dog's fight against cancer. She's a pillar of strength for me :laugh: And knows the ins and outs of this dreadful cancer as well as her vets (conventional and homeopathic) do.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

i hope i didnt sound pesimistic in my post...

Just to note,My Jake was too far gone to do anything for..

And even then he survived a long time. So im sure all will be ok..dont panic. Deep breaths and one step at a time.

PS. Mooper..more like good on Jake for taking us on.. God bless him..he was that once in a lifetime dog we all have had or will one day!!

Hi Mooper,

My older dog, now 11 1/2 has been living with mast cell cancer for quite a few years now. He has had two major surgeries removing a few lumps with clear margins, and no recurrence at this time. He also had chemotherapy to shrink the last large tumour before removal. My vet is also an oncologist and I have taken his advice at all times.

He is a bright and happy dog and has suffered no ill effects from chemotherapy/surgery.

The very best wishes for Jack's speedy recovery.

Edited by schnauzer