Bought Some Chicken Mince Today.

moggy

I bought some chicken mince for pets today from Leonards, after reading lots of recommendations from other posts in DOL. I cooked up some brown rice, peas and grated carrot, cooled the mixture down then added the raw chicken mince. I will try it on my Chis tonight, but boy I wouldn't eat it. lol. The mince smells vile. I also got some chicken necks to try at a later stage. Still experimenting with different foods to see which ones they really like.

Am I doing the right thing?

Moggy

It shouldn't stink when you buy it...

I find that cooked peas seem to come out the other end much as they went in, same with cooked carrot. Raw (pulped carrot) seems to get digested though...

Strange things, dog innards.

I've bought pets mince from two different Lenards outlets.

One always smells really fresh and they tend to mince the frames while we wait - we now only go to that store. ;)

At the other store the mince smelled terrible, not off, but really strong (perhpas it had offal in it). However I also noticed it had green bits like they use in chicken florentine. So it seems they just minced up anything that hadn't sold either along with or instead of chicken frames. Won't go to that Lenards again. ;)

EFS

Edited by benny123

I am a bit suspicious about it. There are red specks in it, like there might be offal minced in. I will wait and see if they eat it and then how it affects them. If there are any problems, the rest will be going into the bin.

Chicken mince shouldnt smell, although I have given my dogs some rather gamey mince before (so bad that I refused to thaw it because then Id smell it again) and Ive never had any problems with it. In humans, yes Id worry about salmonella but dogs stomachs can handle meat that is starting to go funny. To be on the safe side though I would avoid it, especially if your dogs arent used to eating proper meat.

I would scrap the rice and vegies. Dogs cannot digest the vegies anyway and we now know that grains such as rice arent that great for dogs and can cause problems (up until a few years ago rice was promoted as a really healthy thing for dogs so now nutritionists are frantically trying to re-educate pet owners). Dogs dont need carbohydrates, and the rice is basically a carb overload for their system. Plus, its best not to introduce too many new foods to them at once anyway, dogs stomachs dont handle a great variety like ours do.

I just bought some really fresh chicken mince today, I couldn't see any bone in it like the Leonards stuff. It was a 10kg bag and I came straight home and split it into small bags - no yucky smell at all. ;)

Hubby freaked when he saw the big splash of green die though! LOL

I am a bit funny when it comes to chicken and sometimes find even the human stuff can stink by the time you get it home. Makes you wonder how long it has been ther for....... ;)

Agree with everyone who said it can be dodgy. That why I only go to one Lenards store where they mince fresh frames for me. I think they are franchised so I guess it depends on how the owner values pets. I think we found one that loves dogs.

I get the feeling that some of the stores sell 'human' grade chicken for 24 hours longer than they should (I've had dodgy human grade chicken from at least 2 Lennards stores which was definitely not fresh :laugh: ) so I think that might be the problem. If I don't like the smell of chicken mince when it is raw it goes straight out the door - refuse to feed it if it's that 'off'.

I am a bit suspicious about it. There are red specks in it, like there might be offal minced in. I will wait and see if they eat it and then how it affects them. If there are any problems, the rest will be going into the bin.

It doesn't matter if there's offal mixed in with it, dogs need some of that too. The red specks might also be blood from the bones. Pet mince is usually minced frames so it's likely to have bones in it.