Staffyx Puppy Flexing His Muscles

maxiblack

Bundy, our StaffyX is almost 10mo and he recently became the aggressor over a rawhide bone he was chewing on. Our other dog, Maxi (a dalmation x staffy) is almost 7yo and loiters around when Bundy is eating but usually a couple of metres away. Maxi gets fed first and usually finishes first, Bundy can be a bit fussy and often sits near Maxi's bowl before venturing off to eat his food. Anyway, Bundy was trying to goad Maxi with the bone by growling and wagging his tail and jumping around, he left the bone on the bed behind him and started growling at Maxi and then it was on. Maxi is quite placid (a big sook really) and took off but did defend herself resulting in Bundy losing some fur and she also drew a little blood, we ran outside to try and stop them, Maxi was running away from Bundy so we were each able to grab a dog and separate them.

It was quite frightening for us, they do alot of play wrestling normally but this is the first time that it has gotten nasty and we're concerned that this will become a problem. This morning he growled at her again while eating his breakfast (again, she had eaten hers and he finally decided to eat his so Maxi was loitering), the fur on his back was ruffled and on its end so we put Maxi inside and kept them separated until he had settled.

We are taking him to Obedience School regularly and have been for about 8 weeks, he plays well with others and is a friendly and curious puppy (that chews everything of course) which is why this whole thing has taken us by surprise.

If anyone has some thoughts or advice I would be most grateful, we don't want this to continue and because we take our dogs with us to visit family at Christmas time we don't want it to happen with other dogs.

Separate the dogs when they are eating, have rawhide chews or bones. Even dogs that are normally the best of friends may squabble over food. Your pup is growing up and has decided that what's his is his alone and he is now prepared to defend it. Sharing isn't part of a dog's nature and a lot of dogs are possessive over food although some couldn't care less.

I keep all my dogs apart when they are eating or chewing on pigs ears or bones.

As Miranda said, seperate when they are eating.

When mine have bones it is usually in their crates or outside on opposite sides of the yard when I'm out there too. Luckily once they have finished they dont go near the other one who is still eating, and are really not fussed with fighting over food, but I'd rather be safe than sorry :rofl:

Separate the dogs when they are eating, have rawhide chews or bones. Even dogs that are normally the best of friends may squabble over food. Your pup is growing up and has decided that what's his is his alone and he is now prepared to defend it. Sharing isn't part of a dog's nature and a lot of dogs are possessive over food although some couldn't care less.

I keep all my dogs apart when they are eating or chewing on pigs ears or bones.

Thanks, they usually go to different parts of the yard with bones and pigs ears but Maxi eats alot faster and if Bundy gets distracted she goes and pinches his, likewise if she's distracted (by the postman or someone walking past) he leaves his and pinches hers. We will start feeding them at different ends of the house and see how that goes.

The day after the fight (Sat), they both had pigs ears and there weren't any problems at least until this morning. How should we react when they do fight over food? What sort of behaviour should we exhibit when he growls at her like that?

How should we react when they do fight over food? What sort of behaviour should we exhibit when he growls at her like that?

Feed them separately and it won't happen, as you've just discovered fights aren't pleasant and it sounds as if you were lucky this time and no major injuries were incurred by either of them. All dogs have the right (in a domestic situation) to eat their food and/or bones in peace without being hassled by another dog, your boy is growling as a warning because it's his food and he doesn't want the other dog to have it which is perfectly natural dog behaviour. Your pup is also growing up and may be vying for top dog status, if he is there is nothing you can do to alter this and you'll just have to let them sort it out between them, however it will be a much easier transition if you don't leave bones, chews and food around, to do so would be asking for trouble which can easily be avoided.

The day after the fight (Sat), they both had pigs ears and there weren't any problems at least until this morning. How should we react when they do fight over food? What sort of behaviour should we exhibit when he growls at her like that?

They can't fight over food if you keep them separated when they are eating their dinner or they have bones or pigs ears.

As everyone has said....keep them apart when there's food around and they won't fight. You don't then need to worry about how you should react. The alternative is to keep doing things the way you are now until you have a huge fight on your hands, two injured dogs and a very expensive vet bill. You will probably then have an ongoing problem with them fighting.

You're describing normal dog behaviour.

Your younger dog is growing up and asserting themselves.

My smaller dog will growl until the bigger dog leaves the food for him if I have them together for feeding. No fights, though.

Still, I separate the dogs to eat- feed one first indoors (other dog outside), then swap.

I never leave bones/ pig's ears etc out for them to possibly argue over.

YOU are in charge of all food and dogs should respect this.

Try doing Triangle of Temptation (TOT) http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=64101 with both dogs, but especially Bundy.

You'll have a repeat incident if you don't separate them.

Prevention is better than cure.

Hi, I just wanted to add my opinion, I too had the same problems with Paris and Dante (I even posted about it as well.)

Looking back at it all, It was definaley to do with my dogs testing one another and seeing where they stood in the pack.

I feed my dogs together in the same room, but they are always feed in the same spot, and in pack order.

Like the others mentioned, I wont leave bones or chews around, and will supervise them when given these as they seem to hold a higher importance in there eyes and that's when there used to be troubles.

When given these treats (i am always in the room with them) i wont allow them to growl at each other or to go near one another, and i have had a happy home since the last time i posted about this problem.

So like someone mentioned, I too feel this is normal behavour (although not acceptable) as they are just testing their boundaires and one another.

Good luck with it all.

As everyone else has stated feed separatly.

Another thing, make sure the dogs know you are the leader. You should be able to take the bone from your dogs mouth with no fuss, you need to work on this and/to ensure the dog respects you and understand their position in the pack....at the bottom! :o And it ain't a democratic pack.

Yes, I agree! Dont tolerate the violence. Step in and separate and dont pussyfoot around them. Use your body and act assertive. They must give up their bones and treats to you at any time for their own safety. One day they may have something dangerous in their mouths and you dont want to be chasing or wrestling them to get it out.

I teach this from when they first arrive. Everything is 'mine' but I am not a tormentor. I am a benevolent mistress ! However, it's all on my terms.

So, if theyre fighting over food or treats, separate them and train them separately to give these up upon your command and then train them together. Make them sit or do something before they get food or a treat and do this so they see the other having to comply, as well.

Mine are learning to sit like a little row of soldiers ( lol) - sure someone always 'breaks' but hey they're young still. We will get there!

Id never leave my dogs with anything that theyd fight over when I'm not home - just in case.

Good luck. It is frightening but it's manageable, especially if the dogs get along at other times.

Same as everybody else.. my girls are the closest of dogs.. except when it comes to food or bones.. separate or there will be the need for a urgent and very expensive day at the vet.. My girls had a major spat (over dominance issues) at 10 months and cost me a small fortune for week or two..

Is your dog desexed yet???

• 5 months later...

You don't want a prolonged argument! Penny and a previous dog started fighting one day and it escalated into something truly ugly and scary. In the end, Penny nearly lost an eye and my mother nearly lost a finger and the other dog had to be put to sleep. It's easy to feed them separated and avoid any messyness.

Incidentally, I've come to believe that there is no pack structure as such. Dogs, like any other social species, just try to balance avoiding conflict with getting what they want. Top dogs are just dogs that want things more than other dogs. Dogs with a "dominance" problem are just dogs that want things very badly and have discovered some unpleasant ways to get what they want.

You don't want a prolonged argument! Penny and a previous dog started fighting one day and it escalated into something truly ugly and scary. In the end, Penny nearly lost an eye and my mother nearly lost a finger and the other dog had to be put to sleep. It's easy to feed them separated and avoid any messyness.

Incidentally, I've come to believe that there is no pack structure as such. Dogs, like any other social species, just try to balance avoiding conflict with getting what they want. Top dogs are just dogs that want things more than other dogs. Dogs with a "dominance" problem are just dogs that want things very badly and have discovered some unpleasant ways to get what they want.

No offence But where did you come by the idea that there is no pack structure?

Everything in dog pyschology and the study of their evolution says that they are a pack animal.

I agree with everyone else about seperating the dogs when they are eating.

Edited by Jen Martin

No offence But where did you come by the idea that there is no pack structure?

Everything in dog pyschology and the study of their evolution says that they are a pack animal.

I agree with everyone else about seperating the dogs when they are eating.

Corvus, you need to do some research on the dog species and their behaviours.