Need Some More Opinions From Dolers

pomquest

So sorry Pomquest, I live in Melbourne and don't know any good holistic vets in Brissie.

Maybe post a thread on the General Discussion forum? I do know that echinecea is a fantastic immune booster but I'd want someone qualified to make up a mix for me with the right quantities.

My naturopath swears by homeopathic mixes for her dog (she has a big mal) and apparently when he tore his cruciate ligament it was a herbal mix that got him up and walking where modern medicine failed, so I'd definitely get on finding a holistic vet asap and seeing what you can do for your baby.

Keep me posted please. Prayers for you.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for peoples thoughts and tips here as well as PM's, emails and calls.

We thought we had lost her this morning with her temp down to 36, gums opaque and totally unresponsive. We gave her massive amounts (for a 650g puppy) of saline fluid and glucose subQ and orally and smoothered her gums with glucose. We palpated her all over for 30 mins and after another dose of fluids and more palpation decided to rejoin the world. It was amazing how she went so quickly downhill after only an hour before thinking how bright she was becoming. 10 hours on since she had the bad turn and she is still hanging in there. She has had a program of injectable Vitamin C and VAM, boiled liver juice, Nutrigel, Lectade, Metacam, Echinacea etc etc. If she pulls through we will let anyone know interested what we think did or didn't help. So far by going with SubQ fluids approach and not by IV she has lasted 36-48 hours more than those that have been down the IV path. We were determined not to hospitalise her as the little Pom needs her family around her and a reason to want to live. On the good side she has no diarrhoea and is urinating regularly but she is so so weak and we hope she can stick it out.

Also be very wary of hypoglycaemia - ensure she is getting glucose or honey or something. that will kill her as fast as a virus.

I agee with the Manuka honey - it is very easy for a dog to digest, and I find it excellent for pups which wont eat. And it will certainly help with hypoglycaemia. I presume she is a pom pup, and if so, try to get manuka honey and/or glucose into her 2 hourly to ensure her blood sugar levels don't fall too much.

A couple of years ago, several litters had a parvo like problem - some were just dead in the morning without any symtoms, some had yellowish diarrohea, without the parvo smell. The vet tried Bactrim (sp??) which did work, all pups on Bactrim survived (with supporting treatment). They weren't my pups, I was speaking to the vet about it. He said he had tried everything else, and thought to try Bactrim, which did work.

[quote name='pomquest' date='16th So far by going with SubQ fluids approach and not by IV she has lasted 36-48 hours more than those that have been down the IV path. We were determined not to hospitalise her as the little Pom needs her family around her and a reason to want to live. On the good side she has no diarrhoea and is urinating regularly but she is so so weak and we hope she can stick it out.

I think she would have more chance with IV fluids, she is also two weeks older than the your other puppy so that would make her that bit stronger.

I hope she makes it for you.

Thanks PAX but EVERY other puppy treated with IV has died. Only those SubQ'd have lived. She may be two weeks older now but is still half the size of her littermates as she was the runt of a litter of 7. Huge litter for a Pom I know and she was tubed and put on another bitch to help her survive in the beginning. We hope she makes it too, especially as she could have very well not even made it through her first days of life. I have to say though, runts rule! :)

There is no injectable form of cephalexin, it must be another cephalosporin such as cephalothin or cefotaxime. Most antibiotics are safe and human paediatric doses can be used I believe. Am not as good as I should be on my antibiotics but I think you could be doing better than a cephalosporin. Her viral infection will run its course but could cause a breakdown in the integrity of the gut wall allowing normal gut flora to invade the peritonium which is highly dangerous hence the antibiotic choice being important.

Hi, we were back at the vets this morning and the antibiotic injection is definitely cephalexin with a brand name is rilexine, maybe it is new? The cephalexin tablets we are using are of the same brand name too. This morning he is also moving her on to trisoprim tablets (brand name of tribrissen) which we believe has some sulphur in it to now protect her against potential coccidia problem while her intestinal tract is susceptible even though none have shown up in a stool sample.

She managed to survive the vital day 3 and now hopefully we can get something into her belly today. Our vet has suggested starting with raw egg as it has the highest digestible protein to add to the nutrients she has been getting from Nutrigel and VAM etc which they lack. Does anyone have other suggestions to try and ease back her digestion? We have had farex baby food suggested, any thoughts on that?

My Cavalier was given Rilexine 14 months ago by injection. Unfortunately she had a reaction to it. It caused a quite a large fluid filled lump over her shoulders and she needed drainage tubes. The vet said they hadn't seen other dogs who were given Rilexine shots have this reaction.

I can understand your thoughts on fluids being given sub- cuteaneously as opposed to intravenous but IV is a far more efficient way to re-hydrate.

I can't imagine there is any relevance at all to the other pups living just becuase the fluids was injected under the skin quite truthfully.

I hope your little one continues to hang on.

Oh, how sad for you ...

Our 12 week old B/C was sick (vomit, runny poo) last week for 24 hours and of course, parvo immediatley ran through my head .. he was fine the next day after a trip to the vet and some antibiotics (they're saying it was something he ate?) .. I was scared as hell .. my fingers and toes are crossed for you ..

I can understand your thoughts on fluids being given sub- cuteaneously as opposed to intravenous but IV is a far more efficient way to re-hydrate.

I can't imagine there is any relevance at all to the other pups living just becuase the fluids was injected under the skin quite truthfully.

I hope your little one continues to hang on.

When we say "all the other pups" we are not refering to our own but others Australia wide over a period of months from different litters/breeds. For some unknown reason, they are responding better to the SubQ. One of lifes mysteries :o . Also, we are in constant contact with a Pom breeder of 30 odd years, who has studied Veterinary Medicine and who has proven time and time again that Poms respond better to SubQ than IV. We have elected to go with the odds on this one.

probably because of the poms body size. Our vet here will do a femoral IV for fluids to make sure the fliud gets into the system quickly. If you tried to stick it in the leg - there's no catheter little enough to rehydrate quickly enough. Ask about femoral IVs

Despite all attempts we tragically lost our dear little girl Fairy tonight and she is now crossing the Rainbow Bridge :rofl:

She was only in our lives 3 weeks today and was the most endearing little girl and the most beautiful and perfect Pom.

post-20544-1197891228_thumb.jpgpost-13-1104625257.jpg

Please please anyone with babies or expecting babies please take the most precautions you possibly can as the heartache we are going through is so shattering. This is no isolated event and litters are being affected all across the country so please be vigilant and keep your babies safe from this awful virus.

Bye Fairy, we will never forget you and all our Poms are crying with us :laugh::cry::(

post-20544-1197891165_thumb.jpg

Our condolences to you and Brett, Sandy.... How Heartbreaking for you both when you tried so hard to keep her alive... i think a lot of people on the list would be very interested in knowing about the virus as it takes them away so quickly... Really sorry to hear your loss and we are thinking of you both at this terrible time...

Cassie and Chris