Bones And Maggots

Just Midol

mine don't bury them

to scared someone else will eat them if they don't

had my dachie dig up a sheep when we moved here that was gross with maggots

ended concreting the spot so she couldn't dig it up

in the wild they would eat gross stuff like that so it shouldn't hurt them but i wouldn't want any kisses afterwards

maybe get those dried marrow bones so they don't attract the flies as much

or give them new bones every few days and dig up the olds and dispose before the maggots arrive

dfa

As I have 3 dogs mine go in their crates to eat their bones or are tied up away from each other that way when they have finished I can throw away whats uneaten so I do not have this problem..........also stops them deciding to "fight" over them.

Generally they will eat around 80% of a bone so there is not much left to throw out but enough for them to fight over.

Solution is easy...give bones that are quicker to eat and if they do bury them just throw them out. Mind you our mutt Taz things maggots are extra protein and the more stinky something is the better.

We use things like lamb shanks, lamb necks, turkey/chicken wings, beef ribs etc. Clean teeth good and usually there's nothing left after half hour. We avoid things like marrow bones in summer...they lay around too much and the fat goes off quicker, end up throwing them away

edit:

some dogs have an iron gut they will eat anything and wont get sick

others can be much more sensitive to the rotting meat etc so if you worried then just minimise the big bones and the length of time the dog plays with them

Edited by arby

Now that my boy is an only dog - he will bury them and dig them up later. Yes ... maggots are gross but he just thinks they are extra protein ... they will probably keep the flies company :)

Edited by Tilly

Maggots are gross, but I think they're harmless. Some of the other things associated with rotting meat could make a dog sick. I have Labbies with iron stomachs and buried bones (or rabbit carcasses and road kill dragged in from the bush) don't seem to do any harm .. . but a sensitive dog might get sick. My vet says pups below four months don't cope with Salmonella.

Mine all eat their bones inside the house. Both the Rotties have a a small cotton mat each that can be thrown in the washing machine and they take their bones to their mats.

The Cavs eat their bones in their crates so the big dogs don't steal them.

Yep all bones, chicken frames, lamb shanks, chicken necks.

I am sure he is hungry as if I feed him normal food after he has buried it then he gulps that food down (sometimes, he is a really weird eater) yet ALWAYS buries a bone.

I think I might have to lock him in the laundry to eat it or in a crate, if I let him eat it inside then he buries it in my pillow or under the sofa or some other stupid spot :)

My pup has recently taken to burying her bones, but as far as I've seen she always digs them up later that same day so maggots haven't invaded as yet.

I wouldn't give my dog bones indoors! My friend does that and finds them hidden in her couch amongst cushions, YUCK!

My pup has recently taken to burying her bones, but as far as I've seen she always digs them up later that same day so maggots haven't invaded as yet.

I wouldn't give my dog bones indoors! My friend does that and finds them hidden in her couch amongst cushions, YUCK!

Mine don't bury, they eat them so it's quite safe to give them indoors. They would have them outside if I found bones under pillows and cushions :banghead:

I get a marrow bone cut in half for my two...one day I threw one in the fenced of garden to mow the lawn... My boy decided he was missing out and climbed in.. he got stuck there for an hour or so whilst I was mowing out the front... stupied boof head :banghead:

Edited by Photobull

Maggots are gross, but I think they're harmless. Some of the other things associated with rotting meat could make a dog sick. I have Labbies with iron stomachs and buried bones (or rabbit carcasses and road kill dragged in from the bush) don't seem to do any harm .. .

I think its a lab thing indeed, Taz our mutt is a lab X he will eat anything

From what I know some dogs dont like the smell of "fresh" meat and blood. Thats why they bury it for later, when its more tender and the like. I know of people who would just dip the fresh bones in boiling water for a few seconds, just to get rid of the fresh odour, without cooking the bone itself. I think its the old scavenger instinct in some, if its old and stinky its good to eat lol