Puppies Sleeping On Bed

Bomber

I have two new Jack Russell puppies, a boy Jack and a girl Bella, both eight weeks old. I have had them for a week. Every night they have slept on my bed. They are well-behaved when on the bed. I am also making them wait til I give them the all-clear before they get up and tell them when to get down. Is is ok for me to let them sleep on the bed or is this just going to create trouble later on?

When they're puppies you want to get them into a routine of what you expect of them. So if you want them to sleep on their own beds or in the laundry or wherever later on, then that's where you should be putting them to sleep now. But if you're happy to have them sleep on your bed even when they're older then go for it.

Sophie sleeps with us, sometimes under the covers sometimes on top of the covers. She has been doing this since we got her at about 12 weeks and has never soiled the bed. I see no problem with this as she is a Chihuahua and will always be small. I don't know how I would feel if we had a large dog though. Whatever works for you, but once they get into the routine of sleeping with you it would be hard to break the habit.

Moggy.

I crate train all my puppies NEXT TO THE BED.

I normally get a plastic PP40 or wire crate. This goes next to the bed. I will an old shirt or something that I have warn for awhile in the crate with bedding.

If they want to whimper etc, I can go "ssshhh" go to sleep.. or let them out for toilet in the middle of the night.

They are there with you, they can hear you sleeping, so this will "reassure" them (for want of better word). They are not in the bed, They are learning a routine, I have given them their "own space", they are safe as well.

I love crate training. Some don't like it. It is proving great now, as I have a puppy with a broken toe.. so has to be crated.. The establishing the crate as friendly at 8 weeks has proven a lifesaver at 8 months.

My dogs are allowed on the bed, etc.. On request from me. Some people think that a dog should never be the same height as the owner. I don't necessarily agree with this sentiment. However, the dog should know that you are the boss, they are the dog..

If you are happy with them on the bed then that is fine.. The only thing I would do is make sure they know the rules. JRT can be stubborn and you may have your work cut out for you later if the rules are not set now.

I don't necessarily believe in bringing home a new puppy and sticking them straight in the laundry. Done that and boy did I hear about it.. ALL NIGHT for about three nights. I have found the crate training, and putting the crate next to the bed for the first few nights up to a week... then out in the loungeroom (for me) works best.. you can put the crate where-ever after that first week... I also have mats by the bed... My dogs know their mats and will happily sleep on them..

In the past I have pulled a trampoline bed up against my bed to make it easier for the little ones or the oldies to get up and down.

I have had dogs in my bed since I was around 10. I get really miffed if they choose to sleep somewhere else :laugh:

Diva slept on the bed from her first night at home until about 20 weeks.

We were having a really cold winter (-6 nights) and the Beagles live outside so we decided to let her snuggle with us and we LOVED it, so nice to have a little fat hot water bottle on your neck all night!

She never soiled the bed either and used to wake me up by yawning loudly at about 5 am to go out for a pee, so cute!

Once the weather warmed up she went on with the other Beagles and snuggled with them (easy transition for us because of the other dogs) she never complained.

We actaually think it helped her bond to us as she is a super Show dog and was from day one, always very confident and a very happy puppy!

This pic was taken around the time that she 'moved out' of the house!

1324_p.jpg

I dont mind my dogs on the bed or furniture but only if I have invited them up and if they get off the instant I tell them too without any hassell. By this I mean I tell them once only and they are to get off straight away.

Some nights they sleep on the bed and some in their own beds which is next to me.

I crate trained Orbit and have his crate by my bed. Sometimes he sleeps on my bed, other times he sleeps in his crate, depending on how I feel at the time :eek: . He is happy either way and happily goes into his crate for bed if I tell him.

Even at 30kg now, I still make him wait to be lifting up and down from my bed.... though I think I will get a step for him soon!

Mazza started sleeping on his own cushion bed next to our bed when he was a pup. In winter we brought him up on the bed with us to keep us warm :eek: Now its summer, he has decided its far to warm for such affections and will have a snuggle with us until we turn the lights off and then jumps off the bed and lays on the cold tiles in the hallway...within eyesight of course, in case we mysteriously leave :cry:

If you are happy with them on the bed then that is fine.. The only thing I would do is make sure they know the rules. JRT can be stubborn and you may have your work cut out for you later if the rules are not set now.

I

Never a truer word spoken.

i learnt from experience with my jack.

Shenowis crated but it took a bit of work as she had slept onteh bedfrom pretty much day one cause shewas little and cute.

However if you are makeing them wait until YOU are in the bed fiorst them you may be ok

Nothing wrong with sleeping on the bed per se.

BUT the day the dogs don't get off the bed when you ask, is when they should be turfed.

As long as you train your pups and they respect you at other times, it's not a problem.

My older dog slept in the bed occasionally when Mr PW was away, but when he came back, dog thought he was no.2 in the house.

He needed to be demoted and part of that was getting off the bed! Staying there tells the dog they're high up in the pack order.

At 8 weeks, I'd be expecting toileting accidents in the bedroom (yuck!).