Unwell Rotties

oonga

Kiesha wouldn't eat nothing not at all.. Not even to take her meds with.

She was sick 3 times and was basically the same if not worse than her turn last week.

She stood in the middle of the lounge room staring for 15 minutes and didn't respond at all to us.

I have a feeling that she may be starting to lose sight as Jeff walked over to her and she jumped like he was going to hit her with a baseball bat :(

I called the vet as soon as they opened and they have taken her off the Feldene for 48 hours.

They wanted her to have nothing during this time but i kicked up a fuss and made them think of something else to give her else i wasn't going to comply..

She has enough to worry about without having to deal with the pain.

They have given me injections to give her for pain for the next 48 hours and they finally gave me some Maxalon for the neusea.

They have also organised to get me the Tramadol in, I asked for either the Tramadol or the Codiene phosphate (sp) that you suggested Chell.. I think that they have organised the Tramadol.

The vet here was not too familiar with it so i faxed them all the information on the studies that i have found and i think that he agrees that it is a good thing to do..

So in 48 hours she will go back onto the Feldene and back to only 1/2 a tablet 2x a day until she workes back up to the full tablet and a Tramadol tablet 2 x a day.

However he may change this to 1/2 Feldene morning and 1 tramadol at night but i doubt it as she needs 12 hour medication at the moment.

Jeff had to give her the injection tonight although i nearly had to do it as he was so scared of doing it wrong. We basically helped each other though.

I held her head and patted her and grabed her skin so he could inject it :)

I was so worried that she didn't eat anything and was soo sick that i got a BBQ chicken from the shop and tried to give that to her.

At first she wouldn't eat it and spat it out but after the Maxalon and the injection she ate at least 1/2 a cup of chicken and 1/2 a cup of fresh mince from the supermarket.

We have now made the move to a more cancer like diet and she is on human grade mince and BBQ chicken, salmon, sardines, eggs, goats milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and human grade chicken mince, looks like Diesel will also get this plus he will get chicken frames and bones added in, these she cant have as she is not able to chew on bones anyome.

Funny though Diesel would never ever eat the raw pet mince before that i would get, would spit it all over the floor. I hunted all around for a pet mince with no preservative and he still wouldn't eat it.

I got human grade mince and he scoffed it down like i have never seen.

She is happily sleeping now and has not been sick in the 2 1/5 hours that i have been home and she has finally settled. The next 48 hours is touch and go with the medication and to make sure she doesn't go downhill but i have hope that this will be ok.

Sorry to hear that Kiesha had a bad day :love:

Feldene can cause GI upset. I've used Maxalon from the start with Sophie and the only time I missed one with her breakfast she vomited later on. I haven't missed another one and she hasn't vomited again. Sophie hasn't had any obvious nausea so her appetite has been good all along. Maxalon is working well for her.

Your vet probably wants her off the Feldene for 48 hours to allow her stomach to settle. I'm going to give Sophie 1/2 a Slippery Elm in the mornings before the Feldene now too as she's showing signs of some gastric bleeding.

What are the injections you have? I haven't needed to use the ones I have for Sophie.

Sophie has 15mg of Feldene with breakfast and 100mg of Tramadol just before dinner. This seems to keep her pain under control. She's more active and happier now than when she was on Tramadol twice a day though she wasn't taking Feldene at the time. I did discuss codeine phos. with the oncologist but she said she wants Sophie on Tramadol. Evidently it's compatible with all the other medication she's taking.

We don't use the Feldene and Tramadol together though, only Feldene in the morning and only Tramadol at night.

Sophie gets a full blood examination each time we go to the oncologist so she can tell from that how the organs are coping with the medications. She has urine taken every time too because the chemo drug (I think it's that one) can cause cancer of the bladder.

Kiesha and Sophie are now on a similar diet. I mix Flaxseed oil with the cottage cheese. This was recommended in the cancer diet and Sophie likes it. She's always had flaxseed oil but I used to mix it with her BARF. I get chicken breasts, cut them finely and cook them in a small quantity of water She has the chicken in the broth and manages to eat that without me hand feeding her.

The only raw food she eats is human grade minced beef or lamb.

The oncologist told me to feed her a fatty diet and she's putting on weight. I've always kept her at 42-42.5Kg and now she's up to 45.5kg. I guess she'll lose it quickly enough in time.

I hope Kiesha and YOU have a peaceful night and that she's feeling better tomorrow. I think you'll find the Maxalon will relieve her nausea, she'll feel much better and get her appetite back.

Please let us know how she is tomorrow and I'll try and get on earlier tomorrow night so we can chat.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great to hear about Sophie. Hope Keisha is ok - and best wishes to Zed, Bonnie and all the sick kids. Best wishes to their mums and dads too. Be strong.

Edited by Jed

If the angels are having issues with GI upset, you can use slippery elm tablets from the chemist of health food section - it does not seem to interfere with the other meds Ollie is on (Carafate, maxalon, thyroxine, fish oil, vit C and one other that the name just eludes me at this time of night). I have checked with the holistic vet and our vet to make sure he could take it - it puts a lining on the GI tract that helps with irritation - he takes 400mg once a day. You can give the tablet or break it open and sprinkle it on the food.

So sorry to hear Kiesha had a rough day. I found warm BBQ one of the best things when Ollie was unwell. I also used to make a broth from chicken bones (bones removed of course) and a few veges - add a little rice and serve warm, it is almost like a tonic and easy to digest. I used to offer this a few times a day.

Big hugs to all the pooches and their owners

Jodie

:love: Thanks guys, I'm not really sure what to do.....

I was just woken by Kiesha yelping and not being able to walk :(

I have given her a massage and she seems ok now but i'm so worried now about where this is, I will keep you all updated and hope that she can sleep now she seems to be walking ok now.............

I have given her a massage and she seems ok now but i'm so worried now about where this is, I will keep you all updated and hope that she can sleep now she seems to be walking ok now.............

They get frightened... She does not understand what is going on and if she is losing senses, then that would be even more upsetting for her...

Thinking of you

Jodie

I saw you signed in to msn just after 1am but by the time I opened it you'd gone. You can always phone me BP, you know I'm a night owl. Not that I would be of much help.

I hope Kiesha has settled down and is sleeping now.

BP sounds like you all had a really rough day and night. I hope Kiesha ended up settling after your last post and i hope the meds you got are really helping her.

You know I never seem to feel like I can find the right words to tell all of you with sick kids how much I really admire how much you are all willing to do for them and the care you are taking of them, and everything I type sounds lame but having been thru it myself I really do understand all the emotions and feelings. Sending lots of love to you all from me and the family.

i hope you both got some rest after your last post

thinking of you both and sending lots of love and strength

dfa

BP, i hope Keisha settled for you as well as her.

We are all praying for you

I can't say anything that will help BP, but I hope that Kiesha settled down again for the night and that the whole family got some rest. It must be frightening for her, she would be aware that something is not right :love:

You sound like you are doing a fabulous job, she is very lucky to have both you and Jeff looking after her.

Hugs to all our other sick furry friends, I hope you all have a good day today

Oh Bluepoppy my heart breaks for you and Kiesha.

I am so sorry that you both had a bad day and night.

I do hope that the vomiting has now stopped with the administration of the maxalon.

Good on you for knowing what is best for Kiesha and demanding it from the vet. :love:

Go with your instincts and the research that you have done regarding possible medications for Kiesha.

From what you have said it appears that the lack of anti-nausea medication is the reason for this bad turn.

Baylee loves the lamb and vegie broth that I make her when she is off colour.

You add diced lean lamb (human grade) to 4 cups water with 1 cup barley and simmer for 1 hour.

Grate up your carrots, swede, zucchini and any other vegie that is easy to digest and add to pot.

Chop up celery and fresh parsley and add to pot.

Simmer and serve warm.

You can do the same with chicken and beef.

Please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you and Kiesha, at anytime.

My hopes and wishes for a much better day today for you both

Thanks everyone for your wishes and very kind thoughts for Kiesha and our family.

Unfortunately Jeff and I made the hardest decision of our life last night and Kiesha is now running free of pain, Laid to rest at 3am.

I made a promise to her that when she had too much pain and wouldn't eat and didn't have quality then we would let her go.

She didn't improve last night and lost all her senses and it wasn't fair on her.

I have dreaded coming in here this morning as i knew that you would all be wondering but i knew i had to let you know as you have all been such a fantastic support over the last 2 months and i can't thank you enough.

Most of you i have not even met and you have been a tower of strength to me and all our family, providing information and tips it really has meant alot.

RIP Kiesha (Ammerzen Jayzen Kiah) 25/09/2001 - 05/02/2008

Never Forgotten

RIP Princess Kiesha :):rofl:

Big hugs to You, Jeff and Diesel :love::(

You have shared so much history and so many new first experiences with Kiesha,

the lessons you learnt from her will stay with you for ever,

not forgetting the beautiful memories you have forever in your hearts and souls.

cavNrott

I am sorry to hear about Sophie's gastric bleeding. I hope it is only small and temporary.

It is possible that the vet recommended a higher fat diet for two reasons:

1. To coat and protect the GI lining a little

2. Some drugs, like Vit D, E, A and K, need to bind to fat to be able to be absorpted in the intestines

I sincerely hope that the slippery elm can provide some relief and that Sophie stays her same vibrant self for as long as possible

I wish you both a wonderful day

All our :love: and :(:) to all the sick furkids and their fantacitc, brave, dedicated owners.

BP, Jeff and Diesel sending you my warmest thoughts of Love and support. Your Beautiful Princess will be with you all forever in your hearts and you will have many wonderful happy memories of her. Thankyou for sharing your journey with her with all of us. :love:

Rest peacfully sweet Kiesha.

Bluepoppy

I am so very sorry for you and your family :(

RIP Kiesha :love:

May you now run free and easy the way your family wished.

BP may your hearts remember all the good times that you had together with Kiesha

And I hope that you know in your mind and soul that you did all you could to bring Kiesha comfort and love during the last 2 months.

Take great care of yourself, Jeff, Diesel and family.