Unwell Rotties

oonga

Glad to hear she is doing well Anne :laugh:

With the tablets, I found the easiest way to give them to Jaida was to push them down the middle of a piece of that cruddy dog roll stuff at the supermarket. Not sure if you can give Sophie that though considering the diet she's on?

Thank you everyone for your support and thoughts at this time, it is much appreciated. I miss my girl so much :eek:

Edited by shekhina

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CnR we have resorted to those cheap doggie chocs from woolies to get him to take his tablets - if he takes them, he gets a choc.

We used to use half an arrowroot biscuit until he got bored with them...

It is hard to get them to take so many tablets.

Ollie has four and a half at breakfast, two at 2pm, three and a half at dinner and another three at 9pm every night - so four chocs a day (no wonder he is porky)... but he is good taking them, I just say 'open big' and put them at the back of his tongue and then offer the choc and it all gets swallowed whole - I swear that choc does not even touch the sides before it is swallowed.

The vet was the one who suggested to make it a pleasureable experience - he said if Ollie thinks he is going to benefit from taking the tablets, he would take them easier and so far it has worked.

Jodie, I put them in minced steak because she likes it. I usually call out 'meds' and she runs up and happily takes them. Dunno what happened this afternoon, she took them happily at dinner time. It was the Tramadol for pain relief I was having trouble with this afternoon so she had to take it. I wonder if it was my hands she didn't like the smell of. I wash my hands before and after and I used a new bottle of hand wash...might have been that.

She has no sugars and carbs so I'm limited. Can't put it right at the back of her mouth either. She can't open wide. I hope she keeps taking them in the mince. She likes raw chicken so I might have to try raw chicken mince if all else fails. The minced beef is raw too but I cook her meals now.

She has one at 5am another 7 1/2 at breakfast (9 1/2 tomorrow because it's chemo tablet day) 2 at 2pm and 8 with dinner tonight. She has another 2 with her yoghurt around midnight. No wonder she's sick of them.

So far, so good. I'll put the other two tonight on the spoon hidden in the yoghurt, that should do it. Going to do that now. Thanks for the suggestions.

edited because I forgot the 5am one. That one is to build and strengthen bone and has to be taken on an empty stomach.

Edited by cavNrott

Glad that Sophie got a good report, the natural meds are helping apparently.

The reward after the tab has worked for me too --- with SOME dogs. BBQ chicken skin is good as a roll up too, but some smarties still spit out the tablet - and eat the skin!! Maybe Sophie can't cope with that though, or be allowed it.

Glad that Sophie is doing OK, :cry: Giving her a Huge ((((( HUG ))))

Sinna has also had enough of Meds

No meat or junk food of any kind will

she accept with a pill hidden in it .

So out came the long thin pill popper and that worked , any chance you could use one with Sophie

would save trying to open her mouth wide enough to get your hand in there.

She can have bbq chicken Jed so that's a good idea.

Griff, the pill popper sounds like a brilliant idea. Where would I find one of those?

Sophie's been taking her tablets without issue apart from that one time yesterday. I'm just about to give her another couple so I hope she doesn't give me grief with them.

CavNrott, I use the dried herb. I have brought it bulk from www.greenpet.com.au It is a great site for herbs.

A lot of the large pet stores sell the pill popper, they are great for dogs and cats.

When I have trouble getting mine to take tabs, I hide it in liver bread or some people call it liver cake. Great stuff for hiding pills.

Anne , I purchased mine from the Vet I would say it would be worth getting one

its thiner than a pencil :o maybe try on line - Vet Shed

have to say though Sinna had her 5 pills in a honey ham slice this morning :eek:

:scold: to Sophie

Thanks for the info guys and you well wishes for Sophie. She's been taking her pills without giving me grief...except for the afternoon ones. I wonder why that is.

I'm going in search of a pill popper, I think I'm going to need it.

I don't know if this helps, but I just play 'catch' with any medication, and Spotty thinks it's both a game, and a treat....and before anyone says anything, Dalmatians are NOT stooopid.. :champagne:

:cheer: I was not going to say anything...

Actually my sisters stafford does the same thing (but that is only because she is a major hoover and will eat anything)...

CnR have you tried turkey mince at all? Ollie loves it and woolies sells it for $3.99 for 500g (it says preservative free, so I figured it would be OK)...

We used to use the BBQ chicken but I can't get him to eat it anymore, he just smells it and walks away. I have also boiled sweet potato in chunks and then pushed a tablet into the chunk - he still likes that one...

Hope the girl is doing well today.

Thanks Jodie. Safeway here used to stock turkey mince but it's now a deleted item they tell me. Wish I could find it somewhere.

She's taking her meds without a problem now. I have no idea why the mid afternoon tablet is a problem though. She takes meds 5 times every day and balks only at the afternoon ones.

Sophie is having a very good day, she's happily running around like a nutter. She seems to be very lethargic every second day when she has the chemo tablet.

Haven't had the liver test results from the onco as yet.

How is going Ollie today?

He is good - bored but good.

He is still not happy to put too much weight on his hind leg but the two front legs are great now. There is almost no swelling in his elbow joints and he even jumped up on the lounge last night (he has been standing there and whinging to be pick up and put on the lounge for the last couple of weeks)...

He keeps bringing me toys to play with him but he loves to chase them or play tug with them and both those games are out at the moment.... So he destuffed a couple of soft toys yesterday... :rofl:

He loves to go for a walk but I am not going to chance it yet - I really want to give that cruciate ligament the best chance to heal as much as possible. The thought of him needing more surgery just freaks me out...

Glad to hear she is having such a good day... I hope it stays that way for you...

Sophie's liver test results are in and they show an improvement, much to the amazement of the oncologist. She will do another liver test next visit and see the next results before booking the ultrasound.

Sophie's a bit bored too Staffyluv. Like you, I'm not going to risk walking her either.

Sophie's liver test results are in and they show an improvement, much to the amazement of the oncologist. She will do another liver test next visit and see the next results before booking the ultrasound.

Sophie's a bit bored too Staffyluv. Like you, I'm not going to risk walking her either.

Great news. I think that we underestimate how much they want to stay with us.. :)

Ollie tried to get me to play with his rope earlier and he tossed it across the room - when I did not get up, he went to run for it and has hurt his leg more - it must be so touchy (cruciate). One minute he looks like he is bearing some weight and the next he is not...