What Will Your Dog Work For?

MrsD

Nova: Anything

Loki: Nothing

:rofl:

:shhh: Bit like the difference between Jarrah & Ebony :) . Although to be fair, she does work for food, just no toys.

Last night I trained Jarrah with a piece of screwed up alfoil (it hadnt had food in it or anything) - now that is working for anything! :rofl: Doesnt matter to him what it is - if I have it, it's high value. :rofl: .

Last night I trained Jarrah with a piece of screwed up alfoil (it hadnt had food in it or anything) - now that is working for anything! :rofl: Doesnt matter to him what it is - if I have it, it's high value. :rofl: .

I read this and now I want to try it! :shhh: It would be interesting to see.

Depends on what we're up to. Agility she'll work for nothing because she loves it but I use both food and toys.

Obedience, she doesn't enjoy that as much so we use both high level food and toys. Just nowhere near as exciting as all that equipment to play on and run around :)

Buster really depends, some days he'll do anythign for toys but food doesn't inspire him at all, or else he's mad on food but toys just don't get him moving.

Then there is the odd day like today, when I tried my hardest with food and toys and he just isn't working, so you scruff him up a bit, rev him with your voice and he just goes for you.

Guest Steph & Bam

Bam only works properly for food if he has missed a meal. Show him a ball however and he will do nearly anything for it. Food is a little easier for me to use while training.

Leo:

Food

Toys

Pats/ Praise

Kinta:

Food

Toys

Pats/ Praise

Leo is a food nut and it's the best way to train him at times. To build up drive, toys are great, but he is ball mad and tugging just doesn't cut it all the time. Sometimes he'll have a ball with tugging, other times he won't have a bar of it. I find this hard at times as you can produce a toy for him to play (that he loves) and he will say 'nuh'.... so obviously not rewarding :laugh:. Pats he *loves* on the couch at home, but they don't really razz him up and are definitely B grade rewards :o.

Kinta is awesome in terms of what she works for. Food is the best, probably followed closely by pats/ praise and toys fit somewhere between there. She just loves it all and is so motivated. The only trouble I have had with her is when she is just out of season, she lacks the drive she usually has and the pats/ toys sometimes just don't cut it :thumbsup:.

Xena will work for:

Tuggie,

Food

Praise

:love: Fear of correction :clap: - early trainnig methods shown to us by an old school training 'academy'. Sadly this is now the only thing that works for some behaviours like recall from an exciting situation.

Will not work if a tennis ball is in the equation, unless the work is to retrieve the ball or run through weavers.

CK will work for:

Squeaky toy

Praise

Food

Tuggy

Tennis ball.