Best Things For Maintenance Of Clean Teeth

Blaze is going to the vets in the morning to have his teeth scaled and cleaned.

He's not much of a toy player, or a chewie when it comes to things like pig's ears and denta-bones because Minka likes to steal them and have 2 at once! :laugh:

What I'm interested in is suggestions for foods/bones/treats that are the best for maintenance after his teeth clean. Usually if they get a treat or something, Minka will leave him alone because she's too busy eating hers to bother with stealing his.

Are lamb flaps a good idea for this kind of thing?

I brush one of my dogs teeth - just one side as she has some old injury/surgery problems and won't chew on her blind side. Once she worked out was it was all about she learned to love it and comes running when the brush comes out. That may also be because it is the most attention she gets :laugh:

Guest Tess32

Regular eating of bones (not just recreational bones) is best, but some dogs still get tartar issues just like some humans still get teeth issues despite lots of brushing.

Brushing is the best way.Mine get there teeth brushed a min of 3 nights a week & every night if possible as some dogs no matter how much they chew just dont keep them clean

Agree. With some littlies, nothing but a brush will do the trick. Lily gets a heap of bones but still gets bad tartar on her front teeth. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Blaze is going to the vets in the morning to have his teeth scaled and cleaned.

He's not much of a toy player, or a chewie when it comes to things like pig's ears and denta-bones because Minka likes to steal them and have 2 at once! :laugh:

What I'm interested in is suggestions for foods/bones/treats that are the best for maintenance after his teeth clean. Usually if they get a treat or something, Minka will leave him alone because she's too busy eating hers to bother with stealing his.

Are lamb flaps a good idea for this kind of thing?

For a Papillion I would say things like raw chicken wings would be good. If there are problems with 1 dog trying to take the other dogs food then seperate them - either in crates or 1 in and 1 our while they chew on them. Alternatively supervision - all of mine have learnt after being watched and shooed away a few times from the dog still eating/chewing on something to leave them alone.

I have always fed brisket bones for at least 1 meal a week and usually as a bone treat once during the week as well. I have never had a problem with teeth and Murphy ( poodle x) is 13 years and the oldest pap Frodo is nearly two years old...the vet is pretty happy with them both.

2 yo pap

froteeth-1.jpg

13 yo poodle x terrier

murpyteeth-1.jpg

Murphy has a little bit of buildup on his canine teeth and thats about it really.

things that little teeth have to nibble at to pull at connective tissue, skin, cartilage as well as bone for a variety of gum and tooth massage.....thinking chicken feet, pig trotter (plain and ?maybe halved down the centre to split the skin), maybe cut lamb flap into long narrow strips to encourage getting under back molars)

for recreational and dental I think chewy and time-consuming rather than crunchy

Bones.

I'd separate the dogs for an hour or so to allow them to enjoy chewing in peace.

I separate my dogs for feeding as the little one will steal the big guy's food and was overweight as a result.

I was about to say exactly the same thing. :)

I give my cats chicken necks, wings and drumsticks and they have beautiful teeth although they are old. I do make sure that everybody eats their own thing as one of them would steal from the slower one.

I do the same with my dogs, just give them bigger bones that are frozen. I found that frozen bones work even better for dogs as they spend more time chewing them.

For small dogs, I wonder how dry cat food such as Hills Oral Care, or Royal Canin Oral Sensitive would do as a treat a few times a week? The stuff defiitely keeps cats teeth clean....my cats all have beautiful teeth as this type of food forms the basis of their diet. The pieces, especially the Hills, are quite large and small dogs would have to crunch them up. Might be worth a shot as a training treat.

Is it ethically and morally right to demean a dog by feeding it cat food? :laugh:

:love:

I'm about to go pick him up from the vet now, apparently he's had to have some back molars removed... they looked bad enough for the vet to think he didn't get much use out of them at all! Looks like he is a very lazy chewer!