Very Rough Dry Cracked Nose

Tommy's nose is very dry and cracked, with little pieces of dry skin and a couple of deep-ish fissures.

He went straight from pound to vet, then when we picked him up from the vet after desexing he was very dry all over - dry flaky non-elastic skin, and cracked pads. After a few days of decent food and unlimited access to water, he got his 'drool' back, and his nose got a bit better, but now even three weeks later it's stopped getting better. I only have Stevie and Jodie to compare him with, and their noses are black and moist all the time. His is grey and dry over the top, even though his nostrils are now moist and dark. It's just one little thing that makes him look meaner than he his (he's a sook).

Can I put something like paw-paw ointment on it, or should I just leave it as part of his special charm? Do show people have any tricks to help with this?

I've tried everything for Cassie and nothing makes any difference cos she just licks it off (which makes it drier) :)

See her poor schnozzle 006.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Sorry for the hijack S&J but I am willing to try anything (that I already haven't)

Edited to add.... have tried pawpaw ointment, vaseline and another ointment, I give her Vitamin E tablets and omega oil )

Edited by Springergirl

Vaseline, Bepanthen, even a good lip balm will work. You could even try Paw Paw ointment.

SpringGirl - that nose reminds me of a disease I cant put a name to right now - has the vet investigated?

Edited by Rysup

SpringGirl - that nose reminds me of a disease I cant put a name to right now - has the vet investigated?

I was thinking that too... isn't there a simialr thing in humans where the sides of their mouths are dry and cracked??

I've tried everything for Cassie and nothing makes any difference cos she just licks it off (which makes it drier) :(

See her poor schnozzle 006.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Sorry for the hijack S&J but I am willing to try anything (that I already haven't)

Edited to add.... have tried pawpaw ointment, vaseline and another ointment, I give her Vitamin E tablets and omega oil )

That looks very much like an auto-immune condition with a very long name which I can't remember right now. It can be diagnosed with a punch biopsy and would be worth investigating if only to rule it out. Might be best to have it checked out with a vet.

Wow, great responses, thanks! I was scared to try anything without checking, it's such a sensitive area for dogs.

I've been adding Vit E Oil to Tommy's food sometimes, but it's a hard squeezy bottle so he only gets a few drops! He's been getting fish two or three times a week in his diet (tinned sardines, mackeral, tuna, salmon - whatever's on special and not too dolphin-unfriendly).

I tried rubbing on the Vit E Oil last night and he licked it off pretty quickly. I think some of the cracks are quite deep and might sting a little. I'll try vaso tonight while he's sleeping with his head on my lap, I'll just keep massaging in while he puts up with it.

Good luck Springergirl!

ETA my stoopid work computer has only just let me see the photos of poor Cassie. Tommy's nose is nowhere near that bad thankfully, his nostrils are ok. Ouchy Cassie, that must really hurt!

Edited by Stevie&Jodie

The nose looks like Lupus

I use Pawpaw ointment from the supermarket, it comes in a red tub, works better than vaso

Yes, peibe, you are right. My kelpie has a similar nose.... he has pemphigus which is akin to lupus or psoriasis in humans. The nose is often referred to as "collie nose" as collies have a predisposition to lupus & it is more common in this breed. Ringer is affected in various parts of the body when he is at his worst, but basically all margins where mucous membranes meet skin with hair are affected, including nose, eyelids, lips, sheath, anus & under his nails, the latter causing lameness.

We consult with a homoeopathic vet as well as maintaining a low dose of cortico-steroids, but the up & down nature of this condition is very vexing.

I have used Neocort ointment in the past to relieve the nose, but the amount of steroids being ingested began to worry me. I am now trying calendula cream & massage it in for several minutes to try & get good absorption. I am wondering, however, if I might be better off using calendula oil? I too have tried paw paw ointment but did not get good results.

I would have the vet test for lupus [ discoid lupus erythematosus]

It looks very like it to me, but I am not a vet.

I had a GSD with discoid lupus many years ago, and his nose looked identical.

Thanks for all the replies guys and sorry again S&J for the hi-jack.

My regular vet has seen it and is not at all concerned and told me to try the ointments that I have been doing. We also took her to another vet once we moved here and he also didn't have a problem with it.

So who knows (nose :love::laugh: pardon the pun :hug:

Edited by Springergirl