Dog Coats

I have been thinking about getting some coats for the dogs in winter, but wondered if all dogs really need them?

My two have a full, double coat (they are never clipped), sleep inside and have shelter inside during the day, if they choose.

Do they need an extra coat walks in winter/when it's raining? One seems to love getting out in the rain & mud, the other is not so keen. The breeder of one of my (now passed) terrier was of the view that winter was the time they developed their coat - she was against added protection as it affected the texture she was aiming for. (a harsh coat).

I never coat my dogs, they'd just get too hot. They have long coats, but it's a single coat and they love the cold, they're far happier and much more active and I reckon if they had their choice they'd like the temperature to remain less than 18 degrees all year. I'm in outer Melbourne and sometimes it gets down to zero in winter and it doesn't worry them at all.

Maybe I'm being hard, but I really can't understand the current trend of putting coats on dogs, sure some breeds need them, Italian Greyhounds and Chinese Cresteds come to mind, but I've even seen them on GSD's and Sibes which I reckon is ridiculous. Nearly all the breeds here in Australia originated in the northern hemisphere where winters are far, far colder and when I see people from Brisbane asking about coats for their dogs I'm like :cool:

But this is just my opinion and everyone's different :p

I have a beagle and bought 2 coats for her this winter. I got a polar fleece one and a waterproof one. Both of them only lasted about 3 wears each before she ripped them off and ruined them - chewed up the zip, pulled off the straps etc. So I figured that she couldn't have been THAT cold if she was trying to take them off and happy to run around in the night and in the rain without them.

She has a kennel which she can hide in if she's cold outside, and she sleeps indoors in her crate with a cosy blanket. She runs around and plays in the rain and doesn't seem fussed.

So to answer your question - I don't think all dogs need coats!

None of our dogs have coats, unless the Lhasa's are due for a clip, then I will put a coat on them, because they have to endure a sudden change. But the Amstaffs never get coats and the Kees never need them, they grow their own!

Thanks for your thoughts. I can understand dogs that have been clipped or those with short coats needing some added protection. Some of the articles I've been reading on preparing dogs for winter were starting to make me think that I wasn't being as attentive as I should be.

Jillybean - I can imagine one of mine doing something similar :) I can almost see the look of horror on her face ...."and I'm expected to wear this"

I put coats on the greyhounds but never put a coat on the GSD's.

I don't put a coat on my Goldie but I do on my shepherd. He's only 6 but he's already struggling with arthritis and gets very sore and stiff when he's cold.

It all depends on the individual dog I guess.

My nearly 8 year old BC gets a coat on occasionally on morning walks in winter or if we have an early trial start. Also at agility training/trials in between running agility courses. Mostly as you might have a 30 second turn and then there is a fair amount of sittng around in between.

I coat all 3 of my dogs- 2 lab x's 7 years and 6 years and the kelpie x is 18 months.

They all shiver if i dont and the kelpie x wears pyjamas to bed ( an all in one suit).

Edited by periau

Our 15y/o golden retriever wears a coat in winter.

Orbit has a couple of different coats. As to whether he NEEDS them, probably not, but even when he's inside he likes to sleep right in front of the heater, so obviously he's seeking warmth. So during the night and the early mornings at work he wears his coat. He also wears one after a bath. I don't keep them on all day, though, otherwise they would lose their purpose when its cooler at night.

i dont put coats on my dogs except the greyhound...

Like Miranda, my setters seem to thrive in the colder weather and are quite happy. The Weimaraner does get cold occasionally, but not that often as she is quite active. She does wear a reflective coat on walks but this is obviously more of a safety thing.

I put a coat on my dally at night in winter oterwise she gets onto the bed and shivers violently against you till you wake up. She is also a master at sitting in front of the heater and shivering till you turn it on :(

I never put coats on the borders.

I put a coat on my dally at night in winter oterwise she gets onto the bed and shivers violently against you till you wake up. She is also a master at sitting in front of the heater and shivering till you turn it on

:( a smart Dally then!

Definitely depends on the dog - my ACD overheated just being in the house but on a chilly day you'll find Zig curled up in his bed with the sun streaming in the window and his head over the central heating vent :( He loves his coat and I'm teaching him to touch it with his nose when he wants it on - plus if I hold it up and he wants it on he will put his head through the opening. Not sure that he fully understands the concept of choosing to have the coat on but he's getting there :)