Staffy - Females Worth More Then Males?

su888

I think i'm being taken for a ride, but the other night i was speaking to a breeder and i asked her why she was selling the females more then the males ($750) as opposed to $650. She was a bit cocky about the whole thing, and stated that females were more 'worthy' and capable of breeding. ie they hold the babies - so they are more assorted. I'm not into the whole breeding thing.. but made me think twice about buying from her.

Is there any truth behind this statement?

David

I am not a breeder Im not entierly sure but this sounds really odd to me. When I got my boy his sisters where the same price. Same goes for a number of people I know who have males and females.

Edited by Leena

It's very common for breeders to charge more for females than males. Have a look at the puppy listings on this site for example, and you will see it is quite common. German shepherds and similar working breeds, on the other hand, seem to be the opposite, with males worth more than the females in many cases.

Hmm, I don't want to step on any toes but in my neck of the woods, when someone asks more for their female pups than their male pups it is usually a red flag for a backyard breeder. But it is very common.

Most ethical breeders that I know of require a contract and puppies are either purchased as potential show/breeders or as pets with desexing requirments or some combination of this stipulation. Pet puppies, regardless of sex are usually (but not always)lower than breed/show prospects. Breed show prospects command more money, but doesn't necessarily make them a better dog, rather the pet quality pups have some minor issues that would fault them in the show ring.

Then again, I'm in a different part of the world, but I cannot imagine it would be that different.

Edited by Lynai

I don't sell dogs and bitches for different prices, and I've been breeding Staffords for 30 years. This isn't uncommon with BYB toy and SWF "breeders" for the same reason this "breeder" gave you, but I've never heard of it in Staffords. Personally I'd run - also the prices you quoted a just a small amount below the average price for the breed, which also makes me a bit wary. No, all breeders don't have to sell for the same price but being a bit below the current going rate for a breed is a warning flag. PLUS, you want a pet but why is she so willing to sell her pups as 'breeding bitches' to (apparently) just anyone. Good breeders get very protective of who breeds from their puppies and actually most actively discourage buyers by telling them what could go wrong.

Phone her back and ask her what her dogs' L2-HGA & HC test results were.

run, run as fast as you can ....

The litter as a whole should be of the best quality, consistent prices throughout regardless of sex or colour (the only possible difference for show potential).

If she's made you think twice, then think twice and go with your gut. There are good ethical breeders of Staffords, you just have to look a little harder and be prepared to answer (and ask) a lot of questions.

No difference in the price of dogs or bitches here either. :(

ETA: a desexed pet , be it male or female are incapable of producing anything, so there should be no difference at all in the price.

If you were looking for a bitch from a certain line or mating, then maybe you could expect to pay more but a happy healthy pet is a happy healthy pet, regardless of it's sex or colour

Edited by PPS

If they are an ethical registered breeder they wouldn't be charging different prices for males and females. Go to another breeder as this one sounds like they are only in it for the money.

Are they offering Canine Council Registration papers with the puppies? The Victorian ones look like this http://www.vca.org.au/Content.asp?ID=150

You might also consider a rescue staffy depending on what state you are in. The pounds are overflowing with them.

Thanks for the help guys, i have decided to give this one a miss... the painful wait of finding the right pup is killing me (been looking for over a month)

I asked her about the eye testing last night, and she told me essentially that 'we don't do eye testing', it wasn't the fact that she didn't. But the tone of her voice... i'm glad i held back.

Obviously if i'm paying good money ($800~) for a pup, i would like to be assured that the dog comes from a healthy background.

However, can someone comment on what i should be expecting as a bare minimium (or rank level of important of the below)

L2-Hga

HC

Hip Dysplasia

I'm assuming that the other defects such as Persistent Hyperplastic Primary Vitreous (PHPV), Ectropion can not be really tested. But just a case of good genetics?

Sorry about the endless questions, but i feel the need to ask.

:rolleyes:

"If they are an ethical registered breeder they wouldn't be charging different prices for males and females"

Many ethical breeders do & there stock are well bred & tested ,this comment isnt correct at all

Thanks for the help guys, i have decided to give this one a miss... the painful wait of finding the right pup is killing me (been looking for over a month)

I asked her about the eye testing last night, and she told me essentially that 'we don't do eye testing', it wasn't the fact that she didn't. But the tone of her voice... i'm glad i held back.

Obviously if i'm paying good money ($800~) for a pup, i would like to be assured that the dog comes from a healthy background.

However, can someone comment on what i should be expecting as a bare minimium (or rank level of important of the below)

L2-Hga

HC

Hip Dysplasia

I'm assuming that the other defects such as Persistent Hyperplastic Primary Vitreous (PHPV), Ectropion can not be really tested. But just a case of good genetics?

Sorry about the endless questions, but i feel the need to ask.

:p

Ask Emmark nicely if you can have one of her upcoming pups.... :rofl: I have one...2nd best dog ever. (Don't ask why she is the second best dog) Today we were out and about all day and she was so relaxed and happy to be cruising around. She is the black girl in my sign pic

I waited 18 months :laugh:

I waited 18 months :D

About a year for me :( I don't mean to offend and my comment is not aimed at anyone, just an obsevation, but I find it amusing the amount of people that find waiting a couple of months for a pup is a long time. What happens when they decide to wait on a planned litter, wait anxiously for conformation of pregnancy, whelping and when your puppy is finally picked out for you? Now that is stressful! :cheer:

As for if a female is worth more than a male? I find most people asking for more for a bitch is not ethical. It costs the same to raise a bitch as it does a dog, unless it's show/breeding quality then I wouldn't expect the bitch to cost anymore than her male littermates. To add, just because a bitch is "more 'worthy' and capable of breeding" doesn't mean that she should!

I'm glad you changed your mind on that litter, the "breeder" doesn't sound like she has her dogs health/best interests at heart.

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem when looking for my staffy i only wanted a female and found breeders would only give females out to other breeders or friends. ended up finding 1 and paid $850 for her. so yes i did find breeders charging more for females.

stright up if you dont feel comfortable then dont go with the breeder they should also be offering you a contract stating that you arnt to breed from them which then means that there no real point selling the bitch for a higher price!

Had the same problem when looking for my staffy i only wanted a female and found breeders would only give females out to other breeders or friends. ended up finding 1 and paid $850 for her. so yes i did find breeders charging more for females.

Considering $850 is around the going price for a companion puppy, I can't see a problem.

I wouldn't go through any breeder that had males and females at different prices unless there was a good reason behind it, not just for the sake of it & the girls can breed :(

I was taken for a ride when I was puppy hunting before I got Kyra, the rescue organization sexed my pup wrong and then wanted an extra few hundred because the opposite sex was going for more! yeah, good luck with that as far as I'm concerned.

Good on you for choosing another breeder, from the way you've posted his/her responses to you, they seem quite ignorant. Good luck finding your pup! :(