Penny

Sagittarian

We've just said farewell to Penny.

It doesn't matter if they're old, if they've lived a good life. It hurts to say goodbye.

Earlier this year, she decided she wanted to catch a rabbit, after living on the same property as wild bunnies for more than 10 years. She spent weeks tracking them, then proudly brought me a rabbit as a gift one day. After that, she never bothered again.

She was in love with our children, particular the youngest, who would - as a toddler, climb into the low down fork of a tree and call her. She'd obligingly back under the tree to let him drop on her back, with an expression of utter joy on her face.

After never having a day of sickness (barely slowing down when she dislocated her toe chasing her half sister years ago), she succumbed to bone cancer. She was a treasure until the end, and the end was peaceful.

Never forgotten. Portway Constant Craving, St Bernard.

I'm so sorry Sags :laugh: Nothing can replace the space they leave in our hearts :laugh: Take comfort in the fact that she is free from pain and watching over you and your family. I know she will be a guidance for the pup I lost also.

Rest in peace dear Penny, you were well-loved and will be sorely missed :(

Edited by cassie

Thanks everyone, the kind words and thoughts do help a lot.

Penny and Evie (her niece) slept in our converted garage, and after she'd gone, I took the beds and the houndhouses out and cleaned everything. Evie knows something is very wrong and keeps going to the last place that Penny was. Ian brought home a new houndhouse, which has delighted Evie, as she adores them.

I've just let Evie out and fed her and she is still looking for Penny, but seems okay at the moment. I let her sit in the family room last night for a while - she's not big on being inside but seemed to appreciate the contact with me and the kids. We're going to start taking her to work with us and will get a bed arranged today that she can go to when we have other dogs in.

It's weird. One Saint left. After all these years, and having so many beautiful dogs, it has come down to the little girl who is the ideal one I bred for.

Your thoughts mean a lot to us.

Phillipa