How Best To Treat Early Arthritis

Perry's Mum

Perry is a 5 1/2 year old female Koolie. She is very active and loves sheep and is obsessed with balls - she likes at least 1 hour of ball throwing a day including racing for the ball plus an hour's walk. For the last few weeks she has been limping on and off and the vet thinks it is the early signs of arthritis. Perry was an abused farm dog originally and has been kicked and beaten and may well have had broken bones.

The vet is suggesting cartrophen injections plus Sasha's Blend plus physio.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for treating this?

I would usually start with Cartrophen injections, a joint supplement (I like Joint Guard), fish oil, appropriate exercise levels (possibly easier said that done with your pooch :(), massage or physio (or acupuncture or chiro if it floats your boat).

I would generally recommend radiographs be taken to see whether there is a specific issue as well.

Yep ditto. On a regime here of cartrophen injections first short-term, then to sylvet capsules long-term and all along joint guard and fish oil capsules (one a day - they think they are a treat! :(:love::( ) - and its worked brilliantly - my boy appears pain free and at 9 years is bouncing around like a puppy. Oh and heaps of cuddles and massage of old joints...

Hope that helps

Cheers

Westiemum :p

I would usually start with Cartrophen injections, a joint supplement (I like Joint Guard), fish oil, appropriate exercise levels (possibly easier said that done with your pooch :p), massage or physio (or acupuncture or chiro if it floats your boat).

I would generally recommend radiographs be taken to see whether there is a specific issue as well.

Edited by westiemum

It appears to be in her front lower left leg - it is not swollen but she is favouring it intermittently. I am taking her to physio in the next few days (as soon as we can get in) and will get some Joint Guard tomorrow and some fish oil capsules. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Yep ditto. On a regime here of cartrophen injections first short-term, then to sylvet capsules long-term and all along joint guard and fish oil capsules (one a day - they think they are a treat! :(:love::( ) - and its worked brilliantly - my boy appears pain free and at 9 years is bouncing around like a puppy. Oh and heaps of cuddles and massage of old joints...

Hope that helps

Cheers

Westiemum :p

Just a little hijack LOL

Westiemum, Do you think the sylvet capsules have made a difference or do you think it's the combination of all the supplements?My girl is on Jointguard and fish oil as well as Traumeel for her HD, and the sylvet capsules were suggested by a vet a couple of months ago.

The vet where we go for our acupuncture, also is doing stem cell transplants, which I'm also looking into.

Hi CavsRcute,

An excellent question and the truth is I'm not sure - I do notice a freeing up of my boys movement just after he has his sylvet capsule - so I'm sure the capsules help. Yet my gut tells me the jointguard helps too - my vet says his ACL repaired joint is very solid (in the good sense), so if I was a betting woman I'd say its both the capsules and the supplements - but having said that I can't be completely sure...

Hope that helps... a bit!

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

Yep ditto. On a regime here of cartrophen injections first short-term, then to sylvet capsules long-term and all along joint guard and fish oil capsules (one a day - they think they are a treat! :laugh::):love: ) - and its worked brilliantly - my boy appears pain free and at 9 years is bouncing around like a puppy. Oh and heaps of cuddles and massage of old joints...

Hope that helps

Cheers

Westiemum :eek:

Just a little hijack LOL

Westiemum, Do you think the sylvet capsules have made a difference or do you think it's the combination of all the supplements?My girl is on Jointguard and fish oil as well as Traumeel for her HD, and the sylvet capsules were suggested by a vet a couple of months ago.

The vet where we go for our acupuncture, also is doing stem cell transplants, which I'm also looking into.

Glucosamine every 2nd day, Fish oil twice a week - this will keep the joints nicely lubricated

Pentosan Polysulfate to repair the damage already done - 4 x weekly cartrophen injections, 2 x fortnightly, then once a month, or switch over to sylvet capsules for once/month.

This helped my Labrador, and she just gets the glucosamine & fish oils now, the cartophen/sylvet seems to have fixed the problem.

-WithEverythingIAm

Perry is a 5 1/2 year old female Koolie. She is very active and loves sheep and is obsessed with balls - she likes at least 1 hour of ball throwing a day including racing for the ball plus an hour's walk. For the last few weeks she has been limping on and off and the vet thinks it is the early signs of arthritis. Perry was an abused farm dog originally and has been kicked and beaten and may well have had broken bones.

I have had HUGE success with a combination of Sashas Blend and Chiro. I also swim her in a large tub every second day and keep the weight off.

Cartro is another option, although in my case I was lucky enough that after the intital shot was given, the other methods have been enough to keep the arthritis at a minimum.

Another product I recommend is SeaFlex.

Good luck!

Kyla