• hate it think it is cruel
    • love it and have had it done
    • don't like it but i don't think it is cruel
  2. 2. For groomers

• N/A not a groomer
    • i have colouring available in my salon
    • no but am interested
    • no never would

I offer it at my salon- we use Dyex colour for dogs. It does not harm the dog in anyway and if an owner wants to do it then why the hell should' nt they. One of mine has a pink tail at the moment- result of a slow winters day in the salon and bored groomers :rofl:

How long does it take?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth do you do it to such a short coat!!!???

And how did you get the paw prints?

*gets excited* Must tell and share secrets!! How long did the paws last? Did they smudge?

:rofl:

Ok, sort coat no problem, just rub it in and make sure it is even, you are meant to put foil over it (i think?? I am sure i read it, was a while ago now!) but i just let it sit there for a while, than washed it off.

Paw Prints

Step One: Get a few printouts of paw prints

Step two: Laminate (sp??) paper

Step 3: Stanley Knife and cut out paw prints

Better to have a few, as it is a pain to was between each colour

Step 4: Place stencil on dog, get a paint brush and paint away.

Step 5: Wash dog

The paw prints did smudge a bit :love: we did it in a very rush job, but the bones looked really good.

ETA: We did the same with the logo, that was the hardest part of that, we had to make a few stencils and it was hard work!! Thank god she is such a good dog!

Edited by Terrorbull

I offer it at my salon- we use Dyex colour for dogs. It does not harm the dog in anyway and if an owner wants to do it then why the hell should' nt they. One of mine has a pink tail at the moment- result of a slow winters day in the salon and bored groomers :rolleyes:

How long does it take?

Not all that long really, we usually do just the tail or ears and tail. Before they get a bath we put on the colour using a tint brush and wrap each bit in foil. Leave it on for 15- 25 mins depending on the coat type and intensity of colour desired. We just put them back in their crate and go onto another dog while the colour sets, then just wash it out and groom as normal, very quick the aplication takes about 5 or 10 mins and its easy. Customers love it and its an oppertunity for us to boost out bottom line a bit :rolleyes:

I think it can be a bit of fun from time to time if thats what the owner wants to do, provided they are using the right products, but even though I have a pure white dog i would never dye him, I think a coloured Samoyed would look terrible.

That look says it all...

I don't like it - and think it looks just plain stooopid... but as someone else said - each to their own...

As a westie owner who is acutely aware of looking after my dogs skin, I'd never do it... too worried about colour seeping into their skin and setting off a totally unexpected reaction... I've worked too hard on my dogs skin to muck it up now...

Cheers,

Westiemum :thumbsup:

Blue Bully

(if looks could kill!!)

dogs19th008.jpg

how do you get the dye to work

I tried wit Mitchi with food colouring and it washed out.

What can i use?

Food colouring does not hold in coat, try pet esthe or dyex

Thanks for all your post guy! Good to learn what people think

I use only dyex or pet esthe they are approved for dogs and make the coat and skin lovely.

I love colouring my dog and from her reaction i don't think she minds at all if i like to spunk her up a bit and she loves the attention it gets, all those extra hugs.

I was out and about the other weekend at a dog expo as such and i was surprised to see the kids that didn't want to pat other dogs cause they were a bit afraid but came up to my little pink girl and asked for a pat.

I also had very few bad comments only a couple, but they we more wanting to know if i used safe product so I was happy for that.

I think that if you colour be aware to use pet approved products.

Also be understanding that some people my think that it is cruel and just think when you get a bit upset by that as I have in the past at least they care about dogs.

I think that if you disagree with people that colour there dogs and hey i understand it is not for everyone.

Before you have a bad comment just think would you prefer to see that dog in the hands of some one that never gets the dog groomed :laugh:

I know what I would prefer :rofl:

me too, neither! But that is just me! i don't like seeing dogs dressed up in silly outfits or being pushed around in little prams but it is cute to some people and dogs may like the attention but it doesn't make it a good thing to do IMO.

That look says it all...

I don't like it - and think it looks just plain stooopid... but as someone else said - each to their own...

As a westie owner who is acutely aware of looking after my dogs skin, I'd never do it... too worried about colour seeping into their skin and setting off a totally unexpected reaction... I've worked too hard on my dogs skin to muck it up now...

Cheers,

Westiemum :rofl:

:rofl: He is actually giving me that look because he wanted to go inside, and i wouldnt let him :hug: I have many others with him looking happy, but they are not on my computer

Do you actually think the dogs know they have been coloured? At LOVED the extra attention he got when out walking, he got more when he was pink :rofl:

Cant wait to do something christmassy on him! :laugh:

And, my dogs have no problems with their skin :hug:

Ok, sort coat no problem, just rub it in and make sure it is even, you are meant to put foil over it (i think?? I am sure i read it, was a while ago now!) but i just let it sit there for a while, than washed it off.

Paw Prints

Step One: Get a few printouts of paw prints

Step two: Laminate (sp??) paper

Step 3: Stanley Knife and cut out paw prints

Better to have a few, as it is a pain to was between each colour

Step 4: Place stencil on dog, get a paint brush and paint away.

Step 5: Wash dog

The paw prints did smudge a bit ;) we did it in a very rush job, but the bones looked really good.

ETA: We did the same with the logo, that was the hardest part of that, we had to make a few stencils and it was hard work!! Thank god she is such a good dog!

Hmmmmmmm..... Idea!! :rofl::laugh:

I don't like it but also don't see it as cruel. I also don't like some of the over the top outfits people put on dogs and the whole pram thing just makes me :laugh: , unless it's because the dog can't walk properly, no offense to anyone on here who does it.

IMO..if you want your dog to look pretty or cute then just a cute jumper or something is enough. I wouldn't use colouring on my dogs but each to their own. ;) :rofl:

Haven't done it but saw photos of a puggy that had had it's tail coloured and thought it was cute.

It wasn't this speshal girl, was it?

:laugh:

copy_o27.jpg

ETA Obviously I have no problem with it and will freely admit that I dye Lola just for events that promote my business. She attracts the attention of adults and children alike, who will come over for a pat and then look at my products. I can only recall receiving one negative comment out of thousands.

Edited by huga

Haven't done it but saw photos of a puggy that had had it's tail coloured and thought it was cute.

It wasn't this speshal girl, was it?

:laugh:

ETA Obviously I have no problem with it and will freely admit that I dye Lola just for events that promote my business. She attracts the attention of adults and children alike, who will come over for a pat and then look at my products. I can only recall receiving one negative comment out of thousands.

Lola is so gorgeous!

I think it's pretty stupid - like dressing up a dog - but then as a kid I decided to give our Pom a haircut - problem was I did it with my Nana's pinking shears....he looked quite a sight! Went from being called Snowball to Shithead because he developed a complex from people laughing at him...poor buggar.......

Huga next time I think you should dye pink socks on Lola, and then give her pink stencil hearts!

See the purple streak on her butt in the pic above? I hate to see what damage I would do with stencils and the like :laugh: She just won't stay still.