B&b Left Out Rat Bait

mirajam

:)

We planned a lovely weekend away in Country VIC at a 'pet friendly' Bed & Breakfast in Murindindi

It was lovely - an old school house, converted. The owner met us and our two dogs on the first day, made sure all was OK (blocked gaps in fences etc).

But they left RAT BAIT under the bed in the house!! Our teensy puppy (12 weeks old silky terrier X) got under there, of course and ate some.

We thought she was playing with a cereal box we'd left for her to play with - it was a yellow coloured box of "2nd generation" rat bait . ... This means it lasts about 4 weeks in her system, according to the vet. So she needs 4 weeks of Vitamin K treatment because the bait prevents her liver recycling the Vit K and she could bleed internally/die.

How horrible. Our older dog (Westie X) started acting oddly, and the Vet said she also needs treatment in case she ate some too... So, two dogs on 4 weeks of 2 x daily Vitamin K tablets

The B&B owner is being HORRIBLE about it - told me first that her vet doubted that 4 weeks treatment was needed (said only 5 days). Clearly wasn't told the chemical name on the box - I looked it up, and the after hours country vet's advice (which I confirmed the next day with our regular vet) was correct....

Now the B&B owner says she won't pay vet bills unless we prove 100% that the bait was eaten. Does she want us to wait until the poor soul starts bleeding internally and needs hospitalisation? How crazy is this? :thumbsup:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

We planned a lovely weekend away in Country VIC at a 'pet friendly' Bed & Breakfast in Murindindi

It was lovely - an old school house, converted. The owner met us and our two dogs on the first day, made sure all was OK (blocked gaps in fences etc).

But they left RAT BAIT under the bed in the house!! Our teensy puppy (12 weeks old silky terrier X) got under there, of course and ate some.

We thought she was playing with a cereal box we'd left for her to play with - it was a yellow coloured box of "2nd generation" rat bait . ... This means it lasts about 4 weeks in her system, according to the vet. So she needs 4 weeks of Vitamin K treatment because the bait prevents her liver recycling the Vit K and she could bleed internally/die.

How horrible. Our older dog (Westie X) started acting oddly, and the Vet said she also needs treatment in case she ate some too... So, two dogs on 4 weeks of 2 x daily Vitamin K tablets

The B&B owner is being HORRIBLE about it - told me first that her vet doubted that 4 weeks treatment was needed (said only 5 days). Clearly wasn't told the chemical name on the box - I looked it up, and the after hours country vet's advice (which I confirmed the next day with our regular vet) was correct....

Now the B&B owner says she won't pay vet bills unless we prove 100% that the bait was eaten. Does she want us to wait until the poor soul starts bleeding internally and needs hospitalisation? How crazy is this? :thumbsup:

Name and shame please.

Hope the poor things recover!

Edited by Qute74

Oh how bloody devastating for you!!!

Follow it through. The owners need to take some responsibility.

They offer a service (pet friendly accom) so need to ensure that it really is pet friendly!!!

Ratbait should not be left in an easily accessable area period!!

Take care. I hope your two little ones pull through.

Different types of rat baits need diffferent vitamin K regimes - of course the long acting ones need more time on the tablets! Sometimes it is easy to tell if a dog has eaten bait due to the dye showing up in the poo, but that is only for the one or two after it's eaten the bait.

Speak to a solicitor - chances are her insurance would cover it anyway.

I dunno that theres much you can do you could maybe get legal advice but how much were the vet bills?Consult with a legal would probably cost more than the bills.Not good and I can understand how you feel but you might have to put it down to bad luck and move on.I hope your dogs are ok.

My vet said it should be an easy small claims case - and of course it was reasonable to treat immediately - she even provided her notes etc.

I have enough experience to run a case if necessary... but I would have hoped the owner would just say "So sorry, let us pay the vet bill"!

[edited to remove accommodation name...]

I felt really horrible - sick to my stomach - when I realised they'd left out rat bait. Why would somebody be so careless? My poor girls.... Some of the technical papers say this stuff can stay in animals for months.

They will need blood tests and further treatment if their blood clotting isn't normal even after 4 weeks treatment :thumbsup:

Edited by mirajam

Good grief - and they charge enough, too :) . That's horrendously expensive - double what most places I stay have charged.

I'm so sorry for you and the poor pups - hope they recover well. Lucky for them they have a cluey owner who got onto it straight away.

Bet you feel like putting that info in the guest review on their site.

...I'm so sorry for you and the poor pups - hope they recover well. Lucky for them they have a cluey owner who got onto it straight away.

Bet you feel like putting that info in the guest review on their site.

Thanks all. I'm pretty worried - I'm told some dogs can die without symptoms. The littlest pup is just over 1kg and probably ate enough to kill 10 dogs :)

Once they're out of the woods, then I'll send all the vet bills - two visits so far, and more for the follow up blood tests, even if all goes well.

I'm so glad that I remembered that this stuff is slow acting and got onto it even though she looked OK... probably thanks to this forum for the educatin' !

Mirajam, I hope your bubs are going to be ok, sounds very promising good luck.

As tempting as it may be to write a damning review, I would wait and try and get the money from them first. They will just keep playing hard ball. Did you pay with a credit card? Sometimes some credit cards have an inbuilt insurance with it when you pay for a service or goods with the credit card. Not all cards do, but our citibank card does. (we dont pay extra for that service either) Just keep repeating the phrase "duty of care"........to them

They can probably get a very bad review removed anyway saying they had a vindictive client come to stay, etc etc.......

Oh yes I wouldnt be letting them get away with it, apalling leaving rat bait out!!!! Are they dumb or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Edited by eclecticgirl

:) That is OUTRAGEOUS! Of course they are responsible.

Best wishes for your little ones. I hope it's OK, but I am going to I post this (not the place, just the situation) on another forum as a warning.

Edited by Vickie

How worrying. I hope both dogs will fully recover.

I think "proof" would constitute a letter or a report from the vet, and if you sent that with a letter asking for payment, saying that you found the rat bait under the bed, and found the dogs eating it. That would be sufficient proof. A claim in the small claims/magistrate's court is not expensive in any case. However, once you have provided proof, the B&B owner may well simply pay.

Retailers etc. generally wont pay up on your word alone (probably been taken for a ride before) but most will if you can demonstrate that the problem was their fault. :rolleyes: As this obviously was.