What Do Others Do

Curious as to what others do when walking their dogs.

Do you let them walk at their own pace. ?

Let them Stop, Sniff, Squat and or lift their leg when they want.

Or Heal them and control the walk all the way.

Or a bit of both ??

As we all know it is good to get your dog out of the backyard daily but would they enjoy it as much if you have them healing all the way.?

Ash..

When i walk my 2, it is a mixture of training while out and about and also just social walking. When we are "social walking" they are allowed the full length of the lead as long as they do not pull, they can sniff and pee. When training we do things like, sit, drop on the move, heeling etc, I change directions or stop suddenly to keep them thinking.

What you want from your dog when you are walking is your choice. I persaonally want my dogs to "enjoy" their walks, but i also use that time to proof their commands as well.

:rolleyes:

Walking is my most challenging ongoing training area at the moment. Not that it's bad but mine is only young so I need to keep her focused and reinforcing the training.

Do you let them walk at their own pace? No. I want to control the pace we walk at and keep a fast pace while she's on lead and walking in the streets or at parks.

Let them Stop, Sniff, Squat and or lift their leg when they want. Once she's released some of her initial energy I will let her sniff, squat etc because I have better control.

Or Heal them and control the walk all the way. I'm training her to walk by my side the whole time. If I give her more lead to walk with, she will just pull at the moment.

I don't walk my dog on lead that much. 200m to the park, from the car to the beach, etc.

When I started to type what's expected of him when he's on lead, I realised I need to tighten my criteria to make it clear for him. I'm a bit inconsistant.

I intend to make sure he's by my side - sort of a relaxed heel position. He doesn't need to be looking at me and he doesn't need to be right against my leg.

I used to do alot of heal work with Trix but nowadays she is older, she is very good in lead, I prefer to let her sniff around etc after all I am taking HER for a walk.

I remember one of my NDTF trainers saying that when a dogs sniffs around on a walk it is like them reading the newspaper how would you like it if you where half way through the paper and someone yanked it off you.

I also have Trix off alot on her walks so she gets to wander around and sniff things.

Depends on the walk

Sometimes it is a training walk sometimes pleasure

As my dogs age they get more pleasure walks, where we really only walk for around 45 minutes, but it is a slow meander

Bunches my foster gets a 1.5 hour walk, 45 minutes pleasure, 45 minutes training in 10 minute lots

After a year of attempting loose lead walking with little success, I got a trainer in to help.

I was relieved when the trainer gave me the go-ahead to get her to heel the whole time on our walks- Evie needs a LOT of firm control to maintain her focus on me and this helps.

So she must walk at heel the whole time, with some convenient onleash "free" time (a couple of minutes sniffing time at a tree) at my choosing to relieve any possible tension.

I am very strict on this and our walks are immeasurably better now with the lead loose 95% of the time. Happy owner, happy dog. :)

Im all for other people letting their dogs smell the roses so to speak, but it just does not work for us.

Do you let them walk at their own pace? No

Let them Stop, Sniff, Squat and or lift their leg when they want. No- only when I say so

Or Heel them and control walk all the way.. Depends how far the walk is :) if we are walking into the river, then it's MY rules until we get there- then it's whatever dog wants to do (withing reason) ;)

If it's a longer walk- then it's my rules pretty much all the way..with a break or two for a sniff.

Dog gets an opportunity to relieve before a walk- does it on command- so there is no need to toilet whilst walking :laugh:

Dog gets an opportunity to relieve before a walk- does it on command- so there is no need to toilet whilst walking :laugh:

Wow. Thats impressive! ;)

Never thought to do that!

Actually I prefer she does it when we are out- the yard stinks enough as it is. :)

Curious as to what others do when walking their dogs.

Do you let them walk at their own pace. ?

Let them Stop, Sniff, Squat and or lift their leg when they want.

As we all know it is good to get your dog out of the backyard daily but would they enjoy it as much if you have them healing all the way.?

Ash..

I consider a walk to be their time to do as they please. Mind you they are all pretty good on the lead. However, they are allowed to stop & sniff the flowers if they want to. I don't make them heel during this time. Of course we do follow regular dog ettiquette when walking past other dogs.

Training is done seperate to their daily walk and is done on a one on one basis. I can't train 3 dogs at the same time!!

I look at a 'walk' as an opportunity for the dog to be 'working'.. ie: heeling, thinking, listening to me,watching me... except when I give them some time to check out the scenery ;)

It means that ,at the end of a walk- the dog has had physical and mental exercise-- and a few chances to find out what's been happening in the neighbourhood :)

Dog is usually relaxed, and ready to chill...

I agree with persephone. I walk 3 large dogs at once and letting them dictate me is a disaster waiting to happen!

They walk next to me, never in front and I dictate pace

They go toilet on command - if I let them go the DDB would stop at every pole, tree and bush to cock his leg :) we'd never leave the driveway!

If I need to stop for a reason I say 'stop' and all dogs stop in their tracks, they dont have to sit unless I tell them at a street corner etc

As for sniffing, I have a sniff obsessed Malinois who would walk with her nose to the ground, a DDB who couldnt care less and the rotty is a fruit loop so he would be a complete nufty tangling us all up ;)

individuals are a bit different, I have a release command that lets them have more leash and break a formal heel but I still dictate pace

I agree with persephone. I walk 3 large dogs at once and letting them dictate me is a disaster waiting to happen!

They walk next to me, never in front and I dictate pace

They go toilet on command - if I let them go the DDB would stop at every pole, tree and bush to cock his leg :) we'd never leave the driveway!

If I need to stop for a reason I say 'stop' and all dogs stop in their tracks, they dont have to sit unless I tell them at a street corner etc

As for sniffing, I have a sniff obsessed Malinois who would walk with her nose to the ground, a DDB who couldnt care less and the rotty is a fruit loop so he would be a complete nufty tangling us all up ;)

individuals are a bit different, I have a release command that lets them have more leash and break a formal heel but I still dictate pace

Did/do you correct the Malinois every time it's nose drops to the ground (ie. My pulling up on the lead to keep it's head up?) ?

signed

spaniel owner

:laugh:

If i am walking one or two dogs- generally loose lead walk with sniffing allowed but no pulling. They get called to heel when we walk past others or cross roads. When OH and i take out all 4 together, we generally have them closer (shorter lead) but still not a formal heel unless asked. They know when the lead is shorter that they need to stick a little closer. 2 of our dogs often choose to walk close anyway- even on longer leads. They generally wiat to toilet until they are off lead

Dog gets an opportunity to relieve before a walk- does it on command- so there is no need to toilet whilst walking

I'm so glad I taught this as well!!! Makes walking much nicer and no need to worry about embarrasing poo stops (tho I still carry a yellow bag JIC).

I walk my two separately - I'm not strong enough to hold both should they see a cat etc. Yes, I know, they need more training!

I tend to do both a mix of training/heel work and loose lead walking - no sniffing until we get to the park then they can 'read the paper' to their hearts content.

I nearly started the same topic recently!

I posted this here ...

IMO some dogs need to be controlled to the 'n'th degree. With my dogs, if you give them an inch they take a mile. Our walk is a very important part of strengthening my leadership. If I let them pull on the walk or piss on every gate they think they're in charge, not only on the walk but in everything. I don't use a Halti anymore, I just didn't find it effective, but I do walk my dogs like a drill sergeant. I decide where we go and where they pee. Since "mastering the walk" [as Cesar puts it!] there's been a noticeable improvement in their general day-to-day behaviour.