Death During Routine Desexing

badboyz

How common is it for a male dog to die during a castration? He was only 10mths old. Was healthy apart from being on ivomec for a mild case of mange. This has just happened to a dog I sold. Owners are obviously devastated, thinking they were doing the right thing.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although we consider these procedures "routine" the fact is that any procedure that involves general anaesthesia carries a risk.

The dog may have had a reaction to the anaesthesia agent, it may have had an underlying heart issue, it could have been one of several things.

What a terrible shock for the owners it must have been.

Any animal or person can die under anaesthetic. Young or old, it is nothing to do with health or age. I think it is very uncommon but it just happens and there is nothing anybody can do. Its nobody's fault, its just one of those shitty things. I am sorry. :)

:) I would be asking the Vet"why did he die?".

I have not heard of this in young healthy dogs.

General Anaesthesia of any animal or human carries a risk.

Deaths happen, unfortunate, sad, but a fact.

It is not common, but it happens.

They were told just that all was going as normal then his heart stopped unexpectedly and they couldn't get him back.

The same thing happened to my cousin's GSD..

Upon further investigation, it was found out that the vet clinic stuffed up & over-dosed him :)

Oh how terribly sad. RIP Bobo :)

Did the vet do one of those pre-anaesthetic blood tests prior to putting him under? Maybe something could have been picked up at that point if the test was done.

Edited to add this:

Castration is carried out under a general anaesthetic. It is worth noting that all anaesthetics and surgical procedures have an element of risk although castration is a routine and commonly performed procedure.

A physical examination is carried out to ensure the patient is in good health and that the heart and lungs sound normal.

While it is not commonly carried out on patients presented for castration a pre-anaesthetic blood test can be carried out to determine if the animals’ kidneys and liver are in good order.

The dog is given a ‘premed’, which contains a sedative and an analgesic (painkiller). The premed reduces the amount of general anaesthetic that the dog requires.

Once the premed has taken effect the dog is anaesthetised by an intravenous injection of anaesthetic (this involves clipping up a small amount of hair on the dogs foreleg).

If something is found to be wrong with the dog during the tests then anaesthesia wouldn't go ahead.

Edited by westielover

Sometimes it is not an accident, but negligence on the part of the Vet. I worked with a locum who killed 3 or 4 dogs within as many days due to negligence. Most often though it is just a case of underlying problem or bad luck.

check what they used as a premed (I hope not Dormitor :))

check they actually used a general anaesthetic

check they had his vital stats before he went it

Dogs hearts dont just stop. Hopefully they didnt leave the gas turned up too high after induction and forgot to turn it down. In all the time I've spent at vet clinics you would be suprised when the vet goes 'oops tell the owner X instead'

check what they used as a premed (I hope not Dormitor :))

check they actually used a general anaesthetic

check they had his vital stats before he went it

Dogs hearts dont just stop. Hopefully they didnt leave the gas turned up too high after induction and forgot to turn it down. In all the time I've spent at vet clinics you would be suprised when the vet goes 'oops tell the owner X instead'

Domitor is not a premedicant.

I have heard a few stories of Shar Pei dying while under anaesthetic - there must be a sensitivity there and I would be finding out what type they used. Top bitch is Sydney years ago went in for her Hip X-rays and never came out.