Rimadyl

vk2mpj

The vet had put my Rotty on Rimadyl to relieve his suspected Panostitis, she did not tell me a great deal about this drug, and stupid me did not ask.

After he started going off his food, getting jumpy (nervous) and very quiet / moping, I was wondering what the heck was going on. So I jumped on the net and googled the drug, well, to say the least what I saw convinced me to immediately take him off the stuff. His last tablet was two nights ago, and today he is pretty much back to his old self. He is playful and cheeky, and has eaten all his food for the first time in a week.

Call it what you want, but very coincidental to me, and I will be discussing this with the vet when he goes in for his Cartrophen shots...

Dogs can have reactions to any types of drugs, be it non-steroidals, antibiotics, even herbal remedies. Drugs like Rimadyl (carprofen) can give dogs upset tummies and GI symptoms, just like drugs like Nurofen can with people.

We have many clients with elderly dogs and cats who use non-steroidals with no ill-effects. Seeing that they are so commonly used (most dogs and cats would have them at some point in their lives, be it for post-op pain relief, or arthritis), its not surprising that there will be some reports of side effects. In any case, side effects should be reported to your vet asap so they can re-evaluate the treatment plan.

Inspector Rex - I've not heard of that drug before. Do you mean Dexadreson?

Cartrophen is not related to Rimadyl, you're thinking of Carprofen which is the drug name of Rimadyl

Cartrophen is a very different drug. It is used for arthritis generally, it helps stimulate joint fluid production among other things.

my rotty was very ill on Rimadyl as well. Despite the bloody price of it. He was in pain, vomited, stomach cramps etc and stopped eating completely

go see a holistic vet if your dog has suspected Pano he could need some exercises and massage, and get him onto a proper food like Eagle Pack Giant. Low protein but balanced diet give it a go.

Dexapressen is a cortisone based drug used by Vets when dogs cannot have NSAIDs

It's just that Dexapressen doesn't appear in the IVS, nor can I find anything on it on google. I know that Dexadreson is a cortisone based drug so was just wondering if you were meaning that.

there is Dexafort:

This preparation contains two esters of dexamethasone, a fluoro-methyl derivative of prednisolone, which is a potent glucocorticoid with minimal mineralocorticoid activity. Dexamethasone has ten to twenty times the anti-inflammatory activity of prednisolone.

Following intramuscular injection the soluble ester of dexamethasone sodium phosphate is rapidly absorbed and hydrolysed to the parent alcohol giving a prompt response which is maintained for approximately 48 hours. The insoluble phenylpropionate ester is more slowly absorbed and hydrolysed and its presence extends the total period of activity of the product to seven to ten days.

and

Dexapent:

Action Powerful glucogenic, anti-inflammatory, antistress, antishock activity. Its actions are very similar to prednisolone, but the activity is approximately 5 to 8 times greater. Unlike prednisolone, its mineralocorticoid activity is minimal. Its anti-inflammatory effect is particularly potent, 30 times more than cortisone. Because of its activity, dosages are significantly reduced. Absorption is rapid (20 minutes after intramuscular injection). Its activity lasts about 48 hours, although it is mostly excreted 24 hours after injection.

An old dog I had experienced changes in her Liver numbers on blood tests not long after starting it. She'd had a pre-ana blood test before starting when she was desexed, had the Rimadyl when she knackered her cruciate, had bloods going in for curciate surgery (I was curious to see if changes) and there was a maked difference in her liver enzymes. So when she'd not been on the Rimadyl for a little while checked values again....and they had dropped back down to normal.

I've known of numerous dogs that have had major stomach upsets with it...despite being fed prior to giving it and all the other stuff to line the stomach.

If my dog had Pano, I'd be looking into diet changes and keeping them quiet when lame.

When my dog had HOD she was given a course of Rimadyl. She suffered no side-effects and has had it prescribed at another time for another injury. I think each dog reacts differently to drugs - it works for some and others it doesn't - just like us humans and medications. If my dog was having side-effects from Rimadyl or any other drug I would be back at the vets discussing alternatives though.

I have not seen any ill effects with short doses of Rimadyl or even Metacam.

I have - we lost a beautiful GSD x Collie Rough in less than 2 weeks of being on it daily. Shocking way to go. Took her off the drug but the damage was already done. I was told that she had a bad reaction to the drug. Gee - ya think... (while she had a couple a week she did seem ok but when her pain was too much she had it daily - I suppose that the pain has gone once the drug has killed the dog) I will always blame that drug for her death.. I would be searching for another alternative instead of Rimadyl...

I will never use it again and I am quick to warn anyone about using it.

I know of plenty who are giving it to their dogs who seem ok on it, but they don't seem to live very long after they start the drug.

Andisa- it is a known fact that breeds, like Collies etc( and crosses of the breed), that are Ivermectin Sensitive, are also usually sensitive to drugs like Rimadyl and metacam.( Collie Health Foundation of America is my source there).

One dose of metacam nearly killed our Avatar Collie so i know what you mean(3 days on a drip at the Vet)-NEVER AGAIN!

As I know both our Collies are Ivermectin Sensitive ( had them DNA tested) I carry with me to every Vet consult the list of drugs they CANNOT and MUST NOT be given due to neurotoxicity.It includes commonly used drugs like morphine, ACP and heaps of others

PM me your email addy and I will email you the list.

Any vet worth their salt should know that Collies are typically sensitive to Ivermectin etc... no different to knowing that Greyhounds metabolise certain anaesthetics differently (and faster) than other breeds... it's something every vet should simply know.

Blimey Inspector Rex, that sounds scary. Shame they don't make medic alert bracelets for dogs!

Actually, why couldn't they? The disk could be clipped onto the pet's collar.....

Or included with the dogs microchip details... That way, it does not matter where the dog goes, or who pics it up, a simple scan of the chip and voila!! Plus the microchips cannot fall off or the like

I lost my Ben after 2 days on Rimadyl. 6 weeks of the Vet fighting to save him. The Company which markets this drug practically admitted that it was the cause and apparently there have been court cases over it. My Vet. was convinced it triggered the shut down of Ben's body and now longer uses it.