PomsNZ

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hes still round!

we went out to take advantage of boxing day sales with no ques, and he was waiting for us at the door, tail wagging, holding a bone, wanting to play...

hes eating a tiny bit of fish still, we are so pleased! He still has his lethargic moments but when he is awake he is a lto more aware.

his pee is bright yellow. so we are pushing liquids a LOT more.

we havent been doing the every hour squirt down the throat, but when we noticed his pee bright yellow we are resuming it.

he access to fresh water, but quite often hell sleep for around 3 hours.

Edited by PomsNZ

we havent been doing the every hour squirt down the throat, but when we noticed his pee bright yellow we are resuming it.

Is this what the naturopath gave you.

When you consider his size, this little guy has been knocked down by the double decker bus. Short bouts of fun and activity probably knock him for a six hence the long sleeps.

the naturapath said collodial silver every 6 hours, and a honey mix every hour or so, about 3-5 mls.

we have him on broth, as well, as he isnt eating anywhere near he shoudl be.

yeah, hes only a small boy(well bigger compared to my other poms) so we do know they play hard, sleep hard etc.

He has gone back to chasing the cat, which he never used to do, so cute, hell chase it outside, then jsut flop down... but he is doing so much better we feel

We managed to track down some nutrigel (my old vets said you couldn't get it in nz the idjits)

hes doing ok we think, went up to auckland today and he coped extraordinarily well, i do feel lots better we got the nutrigel though!

PomsNZ, that is great news. I was about to suggest honey water, but the naturopath already has him on it, which is good.

Remember, that if one part of the body is doing something, the digestive system may not be able to work at the same time. The body is healing, which means the blood flow is going to the injured parts, and those parts which are affected, and the dog's innate sense tells him that his digestive system cannot function efficiently at the same time, because the blood flow and energy is required elsewhere.

This is why pre and post whelping bitches and injured will not eat well. Honey is very healing to the insides of a dog, and also provides nutrients and glucose, which is good for energy. Nutrigel should be fine, as I don't think it requires too much digestive effort, but unless he is fading away, don't try to push too many solid foods onto him now. Offer him easy to digest things. I find, at times like this, a little milk with a beaten up egg provides plenty ol protein and energy which the dog's system can easily digest.

Vets often forget the importance of nursing and correct feeding for very ill dogs -- or maybe they don't know, but it sounds as if the naturopath does.

hes doing so great! almost back to normal.. put him on nutrigel, hes started to eat, hes playing a lot more, not so sleepy, prancing all the time, hes great!

drinking eating weeing pooping normally, its been 2 weeks now, hes about 99% there