50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

I will share a few of mine with my new 50mm f1.8 - I'm still getting the hang of it. I think I need to use a higher aperture i.e. f2.8+ as quite a few her eyes are in focus but her nose isn't... there were a few where the focus was deliberately soft ;)

Luna and the long 'brick' road...

DSC_0612.jpg

Camo styling in her bed

DSC_0567.jpg

In the back yard

DSC_0689.jpg

Sleeping in the sun on her pillow

DSC_0706.jpg

And then something random...

DSC_0607.jpg

All these were taken with a Nikon D7000 :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like Luna on the long brick (concrete :laugh: )road but I can see the focus point is in front of her, I dont know if that was deliberate or not, you might have mistakenly focused there or the lens is front focusing. Go back and try it again at the same time of day, I like her shadow, but this time try to make sure the focus point is on her. I like the way she is at the top of the photo and it might mean you actually have to move your focus point to there by tweaking your controls, see how the middle of the photo is in focus? I'm guessing that's where the focus point was.

Edited by Kirislin

I've been following this thread intently, biding my time till I get a nifty fifty and I finally got one for my b'day! cheer.gif( Canon 50mm 1.4)

So I've been practising with my newbie model Harps and here are some shots:

181c1513.jpg

0fb8eb19.jpg

^I love this one, it looks dreamy.

64ca647c.jpg

Need to get used to not being able to zoom. I've only had my kit lens for so long, so it's been a learning curve. Still need to work on getting the pictures sharpest where I want..but I'll gladly practice, practice practice!

• 2 weeks later...

that blossom has to be a nectarine dogfan, I've got one too! I'm looking forward to actually getting some fruit this year too, although I mustn't assume. Every other year the whippets tear the fruit off when it's still tiny and hard and green, they eat it, so it's not completely wasted but I'd love to actually get to sample some myself, so over the years I've pruned the tree in a weird (and totally wrong) way so all the branches point upwards, and hopefully will be too high for them to get all the fruit this year. We shall see, anyway, here are my beautiful little blossoms, with all the promise of summer fruit for me!!!! :D 6107071445_e5f24ff983_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

lovely pics everyone... Kirislin I am the same. I just moved recently into a house which has all these stone fruit looking trees - I am so pumped for summer to see what they bring me!! I want some peaches!!!

I finally pulled my 50 1.4 out of the dust today to do a newborn session.. glad I did. Super sharp!! Taken between f/2.2 - f/2.8, varying SS and ISO around 640.

6213543152_2b751ccabb_b.jpg

Ella by Angela Solling, on Flickr

6213030263_15704f8991_b.jpg

6213029539_702f8d9033_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

I think my 50mm is on the way out, for the 2nd time!!!!!! :(:mad I had it fail just after the warranty expired but after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing of emails Canon agreed to fix it "as a gesture of goodwill". I've now had it just over 3 years and it's started freezing up on me, and then being rather noisy as it grates back and forth trying to focus. I'm so disappointed. I wont be sending it in for repair, if and when if finally goes completely kaput. I'll be looking for another brand to replace it with. :cry: Just had to have a little vent.