Uncle Albers And Great Barko

Clyde

Would someone mind giving me a rundown of this food please?

I'm not good at knowing what is great and what is not. I usually just try food I see recommended on here and see how it suits the dogs. Have just seen both these foods recommended in other threads.

I'm wondering if it is such a good food, why is it so cheap? Or does it have alot of fillers?

I've got a bag of Fresh Mix Maximal grain free Dog Formula coming today. George's poo hasnt been great the last few months on Eagle Pack and he's been getting a few hot spots. But the price of the Artemis was a bit of a killer with 4 other pets to buy for aswell. He's done well on the EP up until now, and Esme is doing well on the EP puppy.

these two foods are not in the 'top' food category by any means... they are cheap, but a lot of dogs do well on them. We use them when fresh meat is scarce, and the dogs hold weight better than other foods we can afford.

an added plus is they are AUSSIE made and owned!!

So maybe a bit fatty?

I have trouble keeping George a good weight. He's very active but gets fat easily or either he is too thin. (I do like a thinner dog though!). He's very much in 'working condition' but I'm thinking he should go off the EP light which he has been on for yonks as I was reading the Light should just be an interim diet. He's 38kgs, once he hits 40 he looks fat :mad It's hard to get a happy medium with him and lately I've had a few comments that he looks too thin. When he's thin he does *look* thin, but his arthritis doesn't bother him and his coat is lovely and shiny.

INGREDIENTS

Great Barko is formulated from a selection of the following ingredients. Cooked meat or meat by-products derived from beef, lamb, chicken, pork, cooked fish or fish by-products, fat, cooked cereals, wheaten bran. Canola and soy products derived from them. Lysine, methionine, antioxidant, bentonite, vitamins and minerals.

Vitamins: A, D3, E, K, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12, niacin, pantothenate, folic acid and biotin.

Minerals: Calcium, phosphorus, sodium, chloride, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc.

from http://www.lauckemills.com.au/dogfood1.html

I cant risk feeding it because of the wheat and cereals. I tried to cut corners one day and my Dogue started losing hair in chunks! So now they get chicken carcasses, veges and rice. Its all we can afford at the moment.

For dogs that aren't sensitive to cereals and are hard to put weight on it is great. I've used great barko and had no problems. Dogs healthy and great coats. But the poo volume increases considerably.

So far I haven't found an increase in poov olume but it is also only about 1/3 of my dogs food, the rest being raw meaty bones and offal so that is possibly why. They only get 1 or 2 meals a week of it. I can tell by colour though which poos are from them having that - much darker. Charming the things we notice isn't it? :mad

The first three ingredients listed on the pack are meat, chicken and fish, which is a whole lot better than some more expensive brands I've seen.

My dogs are doing brilliantly on it, Benson's dandruff has gone and Dusty is maintaining her trim figure. The protein content is less than Pro Plan Selects.

But I'm the same as Piper....they don't have it as the major part of their diet. Mostly raw food here.

Oh, no increase in poo volume here and no increase in weight. Dusty is the one I have trouble with....keeping her slim, but she's been looking fabulous lately.

Edited by GayleK

I was struggling to keep weight on Bakari on EP and it was even worse on Orijen. I was going through $125 (15kg) of EP every 3 weeks. Bakari was eating about 8 cups a day (46kg dog) and losing weight!

Changed to GB a couple of months ago... poo volume has increased but the dogs look great on it!

And at $30 for 22kg and feeding less it's much healthier on the hip pocket too!

The cereals aren't a main ingredient so definately better than some of the other more expensive brands!

I mentioned in another post that we changed over my two Staffies to Great Barko and have no regrets so far. They seem to be doing well on it although we do feed raw as their main meal, Great Barko is more of a breakfast thing.

We still have Eagle Pack left over so still serve up half of each sometimes, then they pick out the Barko and leave the Eagle Pack.

This is the kibble I use. I have had a lot of problems getting and keeping weight on Daegon, so long as he actually eats this stuff his weight is great. No more poop than any other kibble, and I don't soak it because when I did it turned to mush rather than swelled. If Mr Fussy Pants will eat it, it must at least taste alright.

We have used both and found that the UA put weight on the quickest and our British Bulldog loved it.

Sure the pooh volume increased when they first started it but that settled with time.

Having older dogs we have to be careful that too much weight isn't gained and so they are back on the Hills right now.

Cheers,

Lesley

Edited by Lesley

For dogs that aren't sensitive to cereals and are hard to put weight on it is great. I've used great barko and had no problems. Dogs healthy and great coats. But the poo volume increases considerably.

Perhaps it depends on the pooch?

I've only been feeding perhaps a half the amount of Albers then i did if the super premiums because it's so dense and more then that amount and the boys pack on the weight. Hasn't been any difference in the amount of poo with uncle albers vs Euk/Hills/etc.

The view of the food is an obvious reduction in cereals as it's so dense and moist as opposed to the 'fluffy' look some of the kibbles can have. High in protien and high in fat so the dogs need less...but seems to be high in taste as my boys will pick it over other stuff and the cats try and steal it :laughL

The view of the food is an obvious reduction in cereals as it's so dense and moist as opposed to the 'fluffy' look some of the kibbles can have.

Its 22% Protein, 10% fat and 5% Fibre

The cooking process can change the consistancy of kibble, as this one is around 70% cereals. If you are getting increase in poo then you have a great decrease in digestability. The reasonable fat content will keep most dogs looking shiny and well weighted, as well as some canola and soy.

two of my dogs would have to be eating 6 cups a day, the other 4 cups. Thats an aweful lot of poo to be collecting :laugh:

But I', glad it does work well for so many people, its nice to not have to squeeze the wallet until even the moths have all gone too *sigh* I wish the RC was cheaper :rofl:

I noticed a slight decrease in coat shine after a bag of GB. I also need a lot of raw stuff.

Have also been road testing the Nature's Gift kibble. The dogs love this. Doesn't work out as cheap as the biggest bag they sell it in is a 4kg at approx $18.

I have been feeding Keesha and Rossi the Great Barko for about 1.5 months now and I am really happy with it. Their coats are shiny and they love it, the poo has increased though. I have transfered Bailey onto half Eagle Pack and Half Great Barko and it is agreeing with him as well so far.

these two foods are not in the 'top' food category by any means... they are cheap, but a lot of dogs do well on them. We use them when fresh meat is scarce, and the dogs hold weight better than other foods we can afford.

an added plus is they are AUSSIE made and owned!!

After reading all the posts about this food, I decided to buy a bag of Great Barko today. I gave the non-showies a tiny bit tonight with their regular food, and will gradually increase the amount given with their regular dry over the next week or so. They are currently on Bonnie, and are doing well on that. When my OH saw me bring in the bag he asked why did I buy it, that we have had it before and it sprayed out the other end....... Oh well, I can only see what happens... If it has that effect then I guess the magpies will have to eat it!!

My 8MO puppy is on Artemis. I bought a bag and wrote down the date I started it so I can figure out how much it costs me. I reckon I have another few weeks from this bag and it cost me a bit over $80, so I'm pretty happy about the way it works out, so far 4 weeks from the bag.

Rhonda