The "ceaser"/alpha Roll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if your dog gets super excited he may be a perfect candidate for training that involves tugs or food - I get my best work out of Zig when he's bouncing out of his skin :)

I don't like that you were talked into trying it when you were clearly hesitant.

Good suggestion TSD... the dog might be a great candidate for drive training. And you can do it all by distance, you don't have to go to a club.

I don't think his dodgey training methods can be put down to him just having a bad night - maybe he is just a bad trainer and the other ones there are ok.

Have you ever tried doing the triangle of temptation with B? (link is pinned above). I found it made a big difference with Daisy when she was going through her terrible adolescent age.

I do a variation with him ie: he has to sit, stay and look at me for an extended period of time before he gets ok and can eat. I might download it and read again and try to implement it better. Can't hurt. Thank you. :cry:

B has been a challenge and i think will be a challenge until his dying day. Boxers hey! :)

ETA

I don't know much about drive training. Is there somewhere i can go to read about it?

Edited by Melbomb

I do a variation with him ie: he has to sit, stay and look at me for an extended period of time before he gets ok and can eat. I might download it and read again and try to implement it better. Can't hurt. Thank you. :)

B has been a challenge and i think will be a challenge until his dying day. Boxers hey! :laugh:

I think the program works most effectively if you follow it word for word (including starting with the tie out, using the marker etc), to make sure you are recognising the right stages of the dogs drive.

ETA: Mel, you could PM Steve (K9 Force) or have a read of it on his website.

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=tid.html

Edited by huski

I don't think his dodgey training methods can be put down to him just having a bad night - maybe he is just a bad trainer and the other ones there are ok.

Have you ever tried doing the triangle of temptation with B? (link is pinned above). I found it made a big difference with Daisy when she was going through her terrible adolescent age.

I do a variation with him ie: he has to sit, stay and look at me for an extended period of time before he gets ok and can eat. I might download it and read again and try to implement it better. Can't hurt. Thank you. :)

B has been a challenge and i think will be a challenge until his dying day. Boxers hey! :)

ETA

I don't know much about drive training. Is there somewhere i can go to read about it?

You could do a search of the forum.

Also you could have a look at K9 Force Website think its www.k9force.net, but don't hold me to that... :)

I can second the value of drive training. My drivey stafford x kelpie has been much much improved since we have been doing it and the TOT. :laugh:

ETA: huski beat me to it and the correct address too!

A couple of people here have done the distance learning packages too, Melbomb, if you are interested. Shoemonster is one, she has staffords. :)

Have you also thought about a one on one consultation with a trainer just to set you on the right path, someone might be able to recommend someone in Adelaide??

Some clubs seem to be very archaic in their thinking, I have found that with a couple I have enquired of in my area.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

Whereabouts are you located, Mel? Someone might be able to recommend you a club you feel more comfortable with.

I'm in Adelaide. The thing is this club actually came really highly recommended, so i feel like maybe it's just me and that particular instructor was maybe just having a bad night?

Hi Melbomb, not sure which suburb you are in but take a look at the following link for Canine Behavioural School in Trinity Gardens :laugh: Positive reinforcement and reward based obedience training, which I've found effective for my two...and definitely no alpha rolls there! :)

Canine Behavioural School

cheers

Surely there are other clubs in your area other than the one you attended?

Yep there's atleast one other one that i know of off the top of my head. We went there to start with (and completed what they called basic obedience) so i might look into them again. Also might talk to the OH and see what he says. He was there last night watching and was shocked at the alpha roll part, and that i wasn't crying my eye's out when we left. :) Maybe it might be necessary to seek out a different club.

Quickasyoucan, we've had a private trainer come to our home once before. He said to us that we needed to be firmer and gave us some ideas on how to do that, which we have since implemented. But didn't seem to think that we had that major of a problem. :)

I've just bookmarked K9's website so am going to have a good read of that when i get a chance. :laugh:

Thanks so much everyone. This has really gone off topic hasn't it :)

Have you talked with anyone else at the club - other instructors, committee members etc?

The problem with volunteer instructors is that sometimes they do their own things in classes that may not be supported or approved of by the club.

Bear.

Thank god some DOLers put me in the right direction :laugh: because confronting an over confident dog like Daisy just made the situation worse and her behaviour could easily have escalated.

Asking out of curiosity in case I ever experience the same thing with a future dog (Beagle or not) - how did you overcome this? I wouldn't know how to deal with something like that :)

Thank god some DOLers put me in the right direction :laugh: because confronting an over confident dog like Daisy just made the situation worse and her behaviour could easily have escalated.

Asking out of curiosity in case I ever experience the same thing with a future dog (Beagle or not) - how did you overcome this? I wouldn't know how to deal with something like that :)

It wasn't too difficult once I approached it from a different angle. Instead of confronting her, I taught her the 'off' command and I made obeying my command and getting off the lounge a pleasant experience. Instead of trying to force her to obey I made her want to obey :) So I guess instead of setting her up to fail I made the situation one where I knew she would be much more likely to succeed. I am lucky because she is very food motivated so it was easy to make getting off the lounge a high value experience.

I also bought a crate so that I could offer her an alternative, so if she got on the lounge I could tell her the off command and then command her to get 'in the crate'. She loved the crate instantly, I think she liked having her own space.

I did have a behaviourist that helped me out enormously too, now I look back and think how differently I would have done things from the start!

ETA: Now she is older she is allowed on the lounge sometimes, but she gets off when I command her to and I can also pick her up and move her with no issues :)

Edited by huski

Have you talked with anyone else at the club - other instructors, committee members etc?

The problem with volunteer instructors is that sometimes they do their own things in classes that may not be supported or approved of by the club.

Bear.

I haven't spoken to anyone else yet. I'm going to go and speak to someone face to face on Sunday. I'm not sure the "boss lady" is there any other day.

And your spot on, they are volunteer instructors hence why i don't want to condemn the whole place too quickly.

Sighthounder-I checked out the website you posted and they look good. Thanks for the suggestion, although i'm not 100% sure where Trinity Gardens is. :laugh:

I have never seen CM do an alpha roll on a dog.

The closest I have seen him do was one show with a Bulldog that was completely out of control and he did roll him onto his side but then he held him with his hand around the dog's neck there til the dog calmed down.

I don't know if that is was CM alpha rolls?

But I wouldn't suggest showing a group of average dog owners unless the trainer is very very good and can get the point across.

Edited by Ci

I have never seen CM do an alpha roll on a dog.

The closest I have seen him do was one show with a Bulldog that was completely out of control and he did roll him onto his side but then he held him with his hand around the dog's neck there til the dog calmed down.

I don't know if that is was CM alpha rolls?

But I wouldn't suggest showing a group of average dog owners unless the trainer is very very good and can get the point across.

He mentions doing them in his book :laugh:

ETA: What you described with the bulldog, and rolling it onto its side, is basically an alpha roll.

Edited by huski

Hey Mel :thumbsup: I read that you had a private trainer come out once to give you a few tips etc. Just wanted to let you know that if you need a GOOD recommendation for a different private trainer, then I can happily put you in touch with one :) And I know for a fact - and experience with him - that he will not just "ignore" (for want of a better word?) that you may have an issue with B, like you said the other trainer seemed to do. The guy I'm talking about, he helped me out a hell of a lot when Zephyr was a crazy bouncy adolescent who I had barely no control of, and well you've seen how he is today, a good boy! :)