Omg! What Are These Sores On My Dogs?

snr

I have just noticed my 2 dogs both have these sores all over them.

Alot on their Bellys, But also on their necks and other places.

They seem to be wet and pus like to start with then they dry up and become scabby sores.

I am so upset for them it must be so uncomfortable.

So a vet Visit tomorrow.

But I was hoping someone might know what is going on?

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/s.../Picture112.jpg[/img]

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp160/s.../Picture109.jpg[/img]

my pup had the same sort of this on her belly, mine got it becasue she played on the freshly moved lawn, you vet will show you a chart of plants that cause that sort of rash and you should take them out of you yard,

there is one that appears after a decent amount of rain fall, not sure were you live but its been raining the past few weeks here in syd so i had to do a garden check.

My cocker occassionally gets these on her belly. She used to get them when the goomer used to shave her underarms (she doesn't anymore), she gets them from certain doggy shampoo's (i know use aloveen), if she's been to the beach more than twice in a week or if she's been rolling in freshly cut grass. She has very sensitive skin.

Definately go to the vet though.

Good luck

Allergic reaction. How long have they been there for?

Looks like more of a contact allergy then anything else. Vet will probably prescribe cortisone. I would be more inclined to give some antihistamines for a few days to see what occurs. If it doesn't improve then they could have turned into staph infections that will need antibiotics.

Do you have any medicated creams at home?

My previous Golden Retriever came out in the same thing - welt like bumps. I remember finding a big spider in her bed and she always came out in that same thing when bitten by spiders but it was really bad.

This is a close-up of the reaction she came out in which extended from just above the desexing line, inside back leg and right down to just above her girly bit. It was incredibly itchy and she was biting and scratching them constantly. We took her and got some cream for it which didnt really help very much, but i tried some human cream someone told me about that i use on rabbits and thought it might give some relief. It was called A'kon Pure Emergency Gel. It gave her alot of relief.

post-21332-1235457130_thumb.jpg post-21332-1235457593_thumb.jpg

I have an appointment with my vet first thing in the morning.

My girl has these horrible scabby sores all on the top of her neck they feel like bumps all under her skin then when you pull the fur back it is all scabby and wet. HORRIBLE!

I just had a thought you know those mushrooms that grow after you have had heaps of rain. Could that be the problem maybe? Oh well I will find out tomorrow morning.

He was the worst yesterday now she has them terribly all around her neck and side. Thanks everyone for your comments. I will let you know what the vet says. Thanks again

Our guy got something similiar.

He had red sores and then scab things on his back

It was from certain plants/weeds in the garden.

It's hard to keep them down as the are weeds and keep growning back.

Vet told us to use antihistamines(child strenght) and they were gone in about two days.

He hasn't had them since

Plant allergies ie Wandering Jew (Transendentia (sp?)) causes reactions like this. I have just had a infestation of this appear from nowhere, so I have fenced off that area with chicken wire 'til I can totally eradicate it. Also the white sap from Moon Flower vines affected one of my pups but not the other (brothers) or any of the other dogs, so I removed this from where they liked to lay in the shade. Cortisone cream cleared it up pronto, after a bath with Malaseb.

Plant allergies ie Wandering Jew (Transendentia (sp?)) causes reactions like this. I have just had a infestation of this appear from nowhere, so I have fenced off that area with chicken wire 'til I can totally eradicate it. Also the white sap from Moon Flower vines affected one of my pups but not the other (brothers) or any of the other dogs, so I removed this from where they liked to lay in the shade. Cortisone cream cleared it up pronto, after a bath with Malaseb.

My golden retriever, Buck developed places like thatafter he got into my fenced flower garden and laid in Lantana. I had to get a special shampoo from my vet and also a cream. He was also given antibiotics because his were so nasty.

Could also be a flea allergy. Doesn't necessarily mean that the dog HAS fleas, but it could have been used as a launch pad en route to another host. I had an American Cocker who was SOOOOO allergic to fleas that even walking across a showground where a dog that had had fleas had been was enough to bring him out scratching. And then he'd scratch himself raw and get scabs and sores very similar to the photos.

Contact allergy is a likely cause, plants like Plumbago and others that are mentioned. Although it is to be noted that Contact Allergy is the least common allergy, food being the more common one.

However it is always worth eliminating to the possiblility of Contact Allergy first, since that is environmental and you can control the environment to some degree.

A typical Contact Allergy starts with small red spots and a red rash, and is commonly seen on the belly or armpits, like with your dog. The small red spots then develop into pustules, within hours, or overnight. The pustuels (like a pussy blister) then break and a scab remains for a while.

There can be a secondary bacterial Staph infection develop.

So keep in your medicine chest a tube of 1% Cortisone Creme ( available non-prescription over the Chemists Counter). As soon as any red spots appear, apply the cream, rubbing well in for at least one minute. You can do this 3 or 4 times per day. Make sure your hands are very clean and washed, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards.

You can also check at your next visit to the vet about adminsitering an anti-histamine such as Claryntine, you will want to check the dosage with the vet. So keep a packet of that in your medicine chest.

Once it has reached the scabby stage, you could try applying some Savlon, to prevent Staph infection. If the scabs, sores and redness do not improve within a day or two of the above treatment, definitely take the dog to the vet.

If in any doubt at all - take your dog to the vet.

This can also be a Flea allergy, so take all the steps for flea prevention and removal. Flea allergy causes great discomfort, because everytime a flea bites, all the other places where fleas have bitten in the past can flare up in some cases.

If steps for flea control and contact allergy strategy are not getting any results then it could be a food allergy, and will need further investigation at the vets.

Pork and the ingredients in some treats such as Shmakos can sometimes cause reactions, so try the dog on a diet of raw chicken necks, wings or drumsticks.

Just got back from the Vet..

My poor babys, They have a bacterial skin infection.

And my girl has a bad case of Hotspots on and around her neck.

They were given an injection of cortisone each. They are on anti-biotics

And I have to Bath them in Malaseb 2 times a week. My vet said to wash my girls hotspots with warm water and salt twice a day, making sure to pat dry properly. She was also clipped back and sores were washed and antiseptic cream was applied. I was not told to buy any cream for her though. I feel terrible I should have noticed earlier then they wouldn't be so bad. Thanks everyone for your help. Oh and forgot to say The vet seems to think they have picked the infection up at our local Dog wash up at the BP servo.

Apparently they have had 5 dogs in the past week come in with the same thing as my 2. And they all had bathed their dogs up there within a week of getting the infection. So won't be going there agin.

Edited by snr