The Official March Challenge Thread

ruthless

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Montall, Iridescent is great...spiders always seem to turn out overexposed regardless of whether you use flash or not, I wonder why that is.

Wags, love your sunset, the quality looks fine. The rich oranges and red are gorgeous.

CM, Under is too cute :laugh: Wave is absolutely adorable, too, and Xandi is seriously divine. What do you do for work?

Lea, absolutely love Innocent, s/he's gorgeous! One of yours?

Love the photos guys! What camera is everyone using? I actually went to Kings Park today and took some photos will see if I can post any here tomorrow after some editing.

I'm using a 40D :) Have just added you on Flickr also!

ETA: Darien that cake is brilliant! What is it made out of? Aside from the obvious marshmallow :eek: Gorgeous galah shot, too.

ETA 2: Kirislin - rofl, she does! I love your Ibis shot, the light shining through the wings creates a great effect.

Montall, thanks very much :thumbsup:

Edited by iltby

Montall, Iridescent is great...spiders always seem to turn out overexposed regardless of whether you use flash or not, I wonder why that is.

Wags, love your sunset, the quality looks fine. The rich oranges and red are gorgeous.

CM, Under is too cute :eek: Wave is absolutely adorable, too, and Xandi is seriously divine. What do you do for work?

Lea, absolutely love Innocent, s/he's gorgeous! One of yours?

Love the photos guys! What camera is everyone using? I actually went to Kings Park today and took some photos will see if I can post any here tomorrow after some editing.

I'm using a 40D :) Have just added you on Flickr also!

ETA: Darien that cake is brilliant! What is it made out of? Aside from the obvious marshmallow :o Gorgeous galah shot, too.

ETA 2: Kirislin - rofl, she does! I love your Ibis shot, the light shining through the wings creates a great effect.

Montall, thanks very much :thumbsup:

Your photos are amazing! Thanks for adding me :laugh:

Because unless you are spot metering or metering manually, the camera will try and meter for the 'average'. The spider takes up a small amount of space and the background is usually darker. Camera meters for the background; spider comes out over-exposed.

In Montall's case, the spider was being hit by direct sunlight but you would find that the background was in the shade, hence the spider looks like it's glowing.

:)

lea - I think "quaint" is brilliant! Love how the texture matches the wire fencing :)

CM, Under is too cute :o Wave is absolutely adorable, too, and Xandi is seriously divine. What do you do for work?

thanks, I work for Quarantine Active Detector Dogs :laugh:

Because unless you are spot metering or metering manually, the camera will try and meter for the 'average'. The spider takes up a small amount of space and the background is usually darker. Camera meters for the background; spider comes out over-exposed.

In Montall's case, the spider was being hit by direct sunlight but you would find that the background was in the shade, hence the spider looks like it's glowing.

:o

This may get long-winded but I feel the need to explain how I work with my predominantly white dog to avoid the whole over-exposure. Obviously I use manual exposure, and I mostly use evalutive metering but I also use the "manual AF point selection" (you know the squares that you can select where the focus-point is taken from) and I rarely use the center-point, but say I've got Chester in the sun and I want to take a pic of his darker nose in focus, I'll half press the shutter and meter at the whitest spot, probably on the top of his head, adjust to the correct exposure then re-focus to his nose and shoot, once you have metered correctly you can shoot away at different points of focus as long as the light remains stable :eek: That didn't sound as bad as I thought it was going to :thumbsup: I've also found this useful with Texas and Jamie specifically around their muzzles which are a lot lighter than the rest of them, early-on, maybe 6-8 months ago I kept finding I'd over-exposed their muzzles, with this method I don't make that mistake as often. I've found that generally the results tend to be an overall darker pic, but if you choose the right times of day, and/or lighting situations - still learning with that - you can get light (correctly exposed) images without overexposing :o

Ash - that's probably why I wasn't having too much success with Av priority mode earlier this month - as I wasn't able to make the adjustments according the the brightest spot in the shot - I kept getting overexposed bits in my shots ;) ... would this generally be an okay method? I mean it's worked for me, but would you consider it a good way to do it, or would I be better using another kind of metering method?

I really should learn more about the different methods of metering...I had a read in my camera manual about them but it was pretty useless :laugh: So I haven't ventured away from the default.

Ash, I haven't actually tried M yet :) We're heading to the Everglades today so I'll be brave and give it a go then :eek:

CM, that sounds pretty exciting :thumbsup: I think Poocow does something similar...

Edited by iltby

This may get long-winded but I feel the need to explain how I work with my predominantly white dog to avoid the whole over-exposure. Obviously I use manual exposure, and I mostly use evalutive metering but I also use the "manual AF point selection" (you know the squares that you can select where the focus-point is taken from) and I rarely use the center-point, but say I've got Chester in the sun and I want to take a pic of his darker nose in focus, I'll half press the shutter and meter at the whitest spot, probably on the top of his head, adjust to the correct exposure then re-focus to his nose and shoot, once you have metered correctly you can shoot away at different points of focus as long as the light remains stable :D That didn't sound as bad as I thought it was going to :vomit: I've also found this useful with Texas and Jamie specifically around their muzzles which are a lot lighter than the rest of them, early-on, maybe 6-8 months ago I kept finding I'd over-exposed their muzzles, with this method I don't make that mistake as often. I've found that generally the results tend to be an overall darker pic, but if you choose the right times of day, and/or lighting situations - still learning with that - you can get light (correctly exposed) images without overexposing :D

Ash - that's probably why I wasn't having too much success with Av priority mode earlier this month - as I wasn't able to make the adjustments according the the brightest spot in the shot - I kept getting overexposed bits in my shots :laugh: ... would this generally be an okay method? I mean it's worked for me, but would you consider it a good way to do it, or would I be better using another kind of metering method?

:confused:

You've got the right idea. That's what we sort of do ;)

We will walk right up close to the subject, do a meter reading and see what the camera says (eg, camera might show f8, 1/250th, iso 400 )... then set the camera to manual and put in the settings f8, 1/250th, iso 400. Step back and shoot. You're background may be slightly under or overexposed but your primary subject should be correctly exposed.

There are more complex tricks for shooting entire scenes that are predominately black or predominately white but I'll go into that at another time. ;)

CM, that sounds pretty exciting :) I think Poocow does something similar...

for anyone who ever asks I always say: "I was made for this job" ... in all seriousness, I love my occupation :thumbsup:

thanks for the reply ash :thumbsup:

"Y" is for yellow - this photo isn't that good but I want to get to "Z" and then re-visit a couple of the others

3371303891_4d8d3f1e90.jpg

"Z" - this idea was inspired by this photo :)

3372130744_1464a47776.jpg

:)

well I looked through 24 pages and didn't see one pic of a tin of alphabeti spagheti titled S for smartass!

Did anyone do it in the remaining 8 pages or am I going to have to go to coles tomorrow?

COULD YOU PICK ME UP SOME CHOCOLATE WHILE YOUR THERE. :thumbsup:

CM Z is very cute. The pic it was inspired from was very cool. I find flickr incredible to look through and some inspiring work. You find some amazing work and then look at the camera used and it's some 5mp point and shoot. Really shows photography is not all about having the best gear and perfect picture. A lot more talent/creativeness to it. :thumbsup:

My texture entries. Since he is getting picked on in flickr for this one..... :) he might be disgusting but he is a great subject. :)

Slinger

3371464179_13dd534672.jpg

Greetings

3371464457_7d27b56d39.jpg

Howdy, All! Looks like you've been busy! I'll try to find some time this week to have a look-see :thumbsup: Life is insanity right now and I'm running 20 different ways each day. Ah well ...

K is for King Fisher

P3080039.jpg

L is for lip licking goodness

IMG_1357.jpg

M is for Maternity

IMG_0417.jpg

N is for Naptime

IMG_0475.jpg

CM, that sounds pretty exciting :) I think Poocow does something similar...

for anyone who ever asks I always say: "I was made for this job" ... in all seriousness, I love my occupation :thumbsup:

"Y" is for yellow - this photo isn't that good but I want to get to "Z" and then re-visit a couple of the others

"Z" - this idea was inspired by this photo :rofl:

:mad

That's the way a job/career should be IMO, hehe.

Z is fabulous :D

I have been admiring everyone's photos for a few months, now I have dragged the camera out and here is my first

L - for Lensbaby 2.0 that I purchased at the camera market today and might give me some inspiration to finally take some photos again - went along with a friend and had no intentions of buying anything but a Lensbaby has been on my 'one day' list for about 2 years and someone was selling all his Cannon gear and it was too good to resist, only used once.

3375176106_654a97c96c_o.jpg

Edited by helen