Dry Dog Food Suggestions

Hi there everyone,

Just wondering the best dry food on the market that others are using, and I know the supermarket blends aren`t the best, so advice on what others use and why would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie

If you check out the "Dry Food -the good, bad, and ugly" thread you will get an idea of how to pick a "good" dry food.

Its quite a personal thing, if your dog does well on a particular one - stick to it! Its a matter of trying different ones til you find one you and your dog are happy with!

Good luck :laugh:

Rat

I used to use Royal Canin but my dog didn't go great on it. She was farting a lot and had huge poops. My other dog didn't like it at all.

Now I mostly feed them raw diet but if I do feed dry, it's Artemis Maximal Dog.

Hi

I tried:

RC medium dog - wouldn't touch it

Supercoat - wouldn't eat it

Orijen - loved it but........

Vitalife allergy one - cheap no wheat (made by Enduro so AUSTRALIAN Made) main ingredient - kangaroo meal - did well

Now using Bonnie Complete and Bonnie Puppy for the worlds fussiest whippets - look good, great poo's minimal farting. Not to mention very cheap.

None of my dogs like Iams or Eukanuba.

Most of them like Optimum from the supermarket.

The best food I've found is available from www.pricelesspets.com.au, it's the only food they sell and comes in 15kg bags. I've never had a dog turn their nose up at this food, it costs around $75 and is really good for dogs with skin/ear/eye issues.

Sorry BonnieK - I thought the thread was a bit more in depth :love: .

And now her I am about to ask a question about dry dog food......................

Neats - what are ingredients (just the main ones) in Bonnie?? I had a look at their website, but they dont actually have a list per se, just mention the meats they use??

I would be interested in changing dry food if I can find one similar in ingredients, but a tad cheaper than what I use at the moment.

Rat

I use Eukanuba, never just plain, and always with other stuff. I give them a dollop of yoghurt, or some vegies or cheese with it.

I have been told good and bad stories about it, but am happy with it.. No smelly farts, normal hard stools and good condition.

I am about at the end of my first bag of Uncle Albers and Benson, who has always had an itchy, scaly patch on his back, has never looked better. His coat is thick and soft, his skin is clear and healthy and he looks fabulous. Dusty has just had a massive coat drop, so she's now a whippet and not an Australian Shepherd, but I expect when it grows back it will be as nice as Bensons.

Kibble makes up a very small portion of my dogs diet...maybe 2-3 meals out of 14 per week, so I'm surprised by the impact it's had.

I feed Great Barko, it is about the only dry food my two will eat (same manufacturer as Uncle Albers).

We were feeding Eagle Pack but it was a struggle to get them to eat it.

We do feed BARF for dinner, the dry food is just a filler when required, but it hasn't done them any harm, their coats actually looked shinier after being on it for a couple of weeks.

I agree Jules....The best dry food is what works best for your dog.

We have been using Eukanuba for the last 7 months (made by Iams) and havent had any problems with it. The dogs seem to enjoy it. Its abit big for Nooki (she is missing a bit of her tongue so smaller is better) but she gets it down slowly.

Heres my probs with it though.

It is really expensive. We pay $104 per 12kg bag :D yep, in a bid to get some weight off Asher, we paid that much. So we are going to give Great Barko a go (the DOL'ers reviews convinced me) as soon as we have finished our bag off.

Heres my biggest problem.

I dont know all the facts, but I saw all I needed to ......

Iams test on animals. I saw a video which was taken by an Iams executive while visiting the factory where the testing was happening. I wont go on about it, but because of this, I will not buy their products anymore. Eukanuba is Iams.

Remember that what works for your dog is what is best, just so long as it isnt Chocolate Cake for brekkie, cooked bones for lunch and onions garnished with Wandering Jew for Dinner!!!

So far I have tried-

Science Diet- She was on this when I adopted her from the RSPCA. She seemed to do ok on it but after doing some research I wasn't happy paying top dollar for (what I consider) a food full of fillers and crap.

Artemis Puppy- She did quite well on this but had a bit of an itchy back on it. She wouldn't scratch herself but if I gave her a scratch on her back (in the centre) her leg would go like mad. Money got tight and on good reviews here I tried...

Great Barko- I like that it put a little bit more weight on her BUT she is now reactive itchy nearly all over. She doesn't scratch badly nor have any visual signs but if I scratch her belly/chest/back her leg goes into hypermode scratching at air.

I am now looking at going to BARF but have a LOT more research to do so in the meantime I am looking for a dry food that won't make her itchy all over...if I cannot find anything I will go back to the Artemis.

I too feed Eagle Pack Holistic. Find my guys go really well on it and even the vet said they looked fantastic and asked about their diet.

Used to use Eukanubra but it didn't seem that special for the price.

Have also used Advance and although the dogs love it, they definately do better on the Eagle Pack.