Cesar Milan And Apbts

sandgrubber

I've been watching Dog Whisperer DVDs (can't afford foxtel). Cesar Milan has a few APBTs in his pack and claims fondness for the breed. But, in various cases, he comes out and says that the breed is exceptionally strong and has tendencies that need to be managed correctly, lest individual dogs become a danger.

I'm curious to know how Pitti-lovers feel about this? Is he pandering to the press? Or is his assessment, and management, at least partly on the mark?

I agree with his assessment and most pitty lovers will. In saying that though I don't believe it is any different to a lot of dog breeds. Alot of breeds have certain traits that their owners are aware of and manage accordingly. Doesn't diminish their love for the breed.

Lets not go looking for something that is not there!!!Lets just take Cesar in the exact context he means.He is just telling it as it is.Good on him!!

What he is saying is right.There are many on this site that would not handle my Dogs. Tony

I don't have pittys... and would never, altho I love the look and temperament... I am a huge DADDY fan!!!

but it sounds a fair comment to me :confused:

With a lot of 'trendy' dogs.. pups are often purchased by people who have not the resources to handle the particular coat type, or strength, or exercise needs...

So- with a gentle 'warning' coming from Cesar.. some folks may realise that a pitty is not for them.

I cant say I have watched a lot of his stuff so dont really know what he says, but

he comes out and says that the breed is exceptionally strong and has tendencies that need to be managed correctly, lest individual dogs become a danger.

I agree with this, and I dont know any who would dispute it.

Anyone that loves the breed would say that.

Theres nothing to hide here our breed is great and where proud of it. He's talking about responsible ownership isnt that what its all about, no matter what breed you own you have to stay ontop of it.

We have the problem amongst APBT fanciers where people deny facts in what they think is in the dogs defence. We dont need lies they are undermining us. Rottweiler people have the same problem.

"Using bad information can never be justified, even in the persuit of a noble cause. It only gives ammunition to those seeking to undermine your case"

many of his pitbulls are from fighting backgrounds, not pet/work that we see more commonly in australia

He SHOULD tout the bad side as well as the good. Irresponsible idiots owning the breed (and other breeds that need more knowledge and control) is what caused problems in the first place. If he didnt love them he woudlnt own them - is you see his episode on behind the scenes you will see how his dogs are kept on a fine balance within the pack

I've only just become a Cesar fan. I haven't seen any of the footage but I've surfed his site and read 'Be The Pack Leader' and I would agree with what he says.

Cesar honestly believes that there are no 'bad' dogs...just bad owners.

Haven't we dog people been saying this for years?

Well done to Cesar and also to Daddy who has proven that breed does not automatically mean stereotype.

Any true breed fan is not blind to the more challenging characteristics of their dog of choice.

Cesar, Dianne Jessup - no "breed blindness" there. Good on them. Every breed needs supporters like that.

I totally agree.

There will always be challenging aspects on most breeds!, I think It's great that cesar tells It how It Is :laugh:

The more people know about their chosen breed the better equipped they are to handle them.

I absolutely adore Daddy :D :o He Is so precious

Yeah i think its awesome!! The majority of his pack are pitbulls he has rescued from illegal fighting and it just goes to show what you put into the dog is what the dog will become and his dogs are truly excellent ambassadors for the APBT (I love Daddy too :D how can you not?!?!)

He is honest in saying they are not a dog for everyone, but he also explains that with every breed as well. I just think it is so awesome how he shows people that its the owner that makes the dog and it works for all breeds. He opens a lot of peoples eyes. I love him and his pack and am a humungous fan :laugh:

• 1 month later...

I agree too, there is nothing wrong in being really educated on the Breed..Same with Amstaffs, my girl has jaws of steel compared to my boy. She is stronger...

So being Educated on the breed is excellent..Less accidents that way.

I don't see any problem with what he has to say about APBT's either.

After all no one would argue with a working dog person who highlights their dogs natural abilities and needs.

Don't forget Daddy now has a sidekick, Junior! :hug:

I actually can't believe Daddy is 14 years old. He is a bit stiff but apart from that he just looks fine.

I don't see any problem with what he has to say about APBT's either.

After all no one would argue with a working dog person who highlights their dogs natural abilities and needs.

Don't forget Daddy now has a sidekick, Junior! :hug:

I actually can't believe Daddy is 14 years old. He is a bit stiff but apart from that he just looks fine.

I know he's just gorgeous isn't he..I LOVE him..

I think he has a very valid point. I see it in the same way as me telling people the bad side of sibes. yes, they're beautiful, yes, they're great dogs but they're a massive handful and can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.

ETA: Another Daddy fan here! Have you all seen the photos of the new Daddy in training, Junior? :)

Junior and Daddy:

junior01.jpg

And growing up:

junior02.jpg

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Who could not love Daddy everytime he comes on the show I cry out DADDY!! What a magnificent dog he is. Yet to see Junior but Daddy will always be number one. Cesar has given me new respect on pit bulls he is doing a wonderful job he is ACE in my terms.