Bloat

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fingers crossed for her

Can i ask, is this cause intestines to twist? (i dont know anything about it, sorry if it is a stupid question)

Not sure if I understand your question teebs, but here is a quote from the link on page one of this thread, hope it answers your query:

"The gastric dilatation is one part of the condition and the volvulus or torsion is the second part. In bloat, due to a number of different and sometimes unknown reasons, the stomach fills up with air and puts pressure on the other organs and diaphragm. This makes it difficult for the dog to breathe, and compresses large veins in the abdomen, thus preventing blood from returning to the heart. Filled with air, the stomach can easily rotate on itself, thus pinching off its blood supply. Once this rotation (volvulus) occurs and the blood supply is cut off, the stomach begins to die and the entire blood supply is disrupted and the animal's condition begins to deteriorate very rapidly. Not all dogs that have a gas buildup and resultant dilatation develop the more serious and life threatening volvulus. However, almost all dogs that have a volvulus develop it as a result of a dilatation. GDV is a very serious and life threatening condition. Understanding the signs, prevention, and need for prompt treatment will help reduce the risk of mortality if your dog develops this problem."

AFAIK.. the stomach fills with gas, and twists on its axes....

like if you look at a sausage- or a lolly wrapper... twisted to enclose the bulge.

This quickly cuts off circulation.....and the expanding gut puts pressure on vital organs :confused:

My Kieran died from bloat/torsion years back now.... horrible.

slow typing- much more detailed info got there first :vomit:

Edited by persephone

AFAIK.. the stomach fills with gas, and twists on its axes....

like if you look at a sausage- or a lolly wrapper... twisted to enclose the bulge.

This quickly cuts off circulation.....and the expanding gut puts pressure on vital organs :vomit:

My Kieran died from bloat/torsion years back now.... horrible.

slow typing- much more detailed info got there first :D

:confused: not fast typing darlin', fast copy/paste !!!

Your description of a lolly wrapper is a very good one, much easier to understand.

fifi

Fingers crossed for you!

I have had two dogs with successful GDV surgery, assisted with the first one because it was 4am and no vet nurse was available. It is not a simple surgery, but I was better off being there and helping than sitting outside panicking.

Recovery was very slow for the older girl, not so bad for the younger one - my vet recommended charcoal tablets daily for life afterwards to help prevent any gas buildup. Good nursing is essential, as they are very sore and sorry for themselves afterwards. Can you get hold of any homeopathic Arnica to give orally for the week or so after the op to help minimise bruising and soreness?

Both of mine went on to live perfectly normal lives afterwards.

Yep, two successful ops here too, And I had to assist with both two !

a slow but uneventful recovery for the older girl, but due to surgery not going to plan on the younger girl - very prolonged recovery.

I'ts one of those ops where the post surgical care is almost as critical as a good surgical outcome.

crate, rest, crate :-)

fifi

Sending many good thoughts your way. Recently one of the ladies on one of my golden retriever forums went thru this twice in just days with her golden, Daisy and surgery had to be done both times. The 2ed time Daisy was in such bad shape Jo Ellen was thinking of letting her go. But she urned around and is doing great.

One thing, Daisy loves to fish''she can stand in shallow water in their litle private lake and actaullyu catch small fish. And she loves to swim. However, the vet just told Jo Ellen to keep Daisy ou of the water as she does swallow lot of water doing boh of those activities. Her stomach was actuallyu "tacked" in place, but the vet is worried there was damage from bloat twice wihin days (and it had happeed once before) and he thinks a lot of water could cause problems.

Also, there was a study done at the University of Florida on bloat and it appears it can actually run in a family of dogs. One lady who raises Saint Bernards (I think it was that breed) actaully lost a grandfather, a father, and a son to bloat and she fully believes it is in that line.

I am so sorry! I am so relieved to hear the outcome was good. If they can catch it early enough to have the surgery, usually they do quite well afterwards. I see prayers were answered she is going to be fine.

By the way- this condition can happen so fast! One of my shepherds out of no where bloated also. We took her to vet immediately, and the vet said it was a gastric upset, gave her some meds and said take her home. I hate to tell you the outcome the next morning. The vet totally missed it, and the medications sedated her enough you could not see any further signs of distress. The view I saw that morning was positively gut wrenching! I still see her face in my memory after all these years.

Since then my dogs are on such a schedule of what they eat- when they eat- what was exercise before and after- everything on a time clock. But even still- bloat can occur without even the warning signs you know. ( ie no exercise two hours before eating etc... ). I use elevated feeders as if nothing else its easier to eat for my tall dogs. However- some thoughts are elevated feeders do not help to prevent bloat- I guess the jury is still out on that one.

She is actually the reason I went to feeding raw. Most kibble swells in the gut- possible cause. Due to her death, my dogs have been on raw feeding every since. At least I know what they eat will not swell in the gut. What little kibble I do feed I do " the water test" - add a little warm water to a cup of kibble, and watch how long it takes to dissolve. Also if it swells.

My thoughts and prayers. Remember she will not look well when you pick her up- but neither would anyone having abdominal surgery. Just remember as the days progress she will get better and better... {{{{hugs}}}}}

Any more news this morning on Millie ?

Borzoimom, yep ours are on strict timing regarding feeding, excercise, rest, ect. but my Tamsyn bloated on just water. And Navarre bloated once on two chicken frames !

I agree with the famililal inheritance or at least pre-disposition to GDV.

I hope we hear good news soon, Weisnjacks.

fifi

Sorry fifi, it was a long night waiting up for phone calls.

The vet has been just fantasic. Millie stayed down here and he stayed, checking on her and doing bloods during the night. He called with each update. She is doing really really well. He took her for little walk this morning and she went to the toilet. He has sedated her a little more to keep her quiet. He gave us the option of going in to see her this after noon, not sure if we will just yet as it might just upset her.

It come on so quick yesterday, mum was down at our local obedience club as usuall and she was fine all morning, she came home to wash the dogs and noticed Millie was not herself and started gaging.

Great news ! thank you for the update.

You have a wonderful vet too by the sounds of it.

I understand those long nights !

Thank goodness your mum was vigilant & acted straight away.

Wishing Millie a smooth recovery :-))

fifi