Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

Sooooooooo, today in the GAWLER show in adelaide.......Group 4 Hounds Leo won Best Minor Puppy in Group! :D :D :D

Then I completly lost it and mis handled him for Best Minor Puppy in show....but all in all the judfges were LOVELY and it was a great experience...

thanks for all the info everyone :)

Ohh my gosh congrats!!! :thumbsup: Well done :D

thanks! :D he was (is) amazing

Seeya Thursday night! I will remember to rug up *brrrrrr*

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THis is probably a silly question but my bitch was born on the 4th of the month. If I enter shows that are on the 3rd of the month, will she still be in the same class?

Yup for the 3rd. If the show is over a weekend eg Saturday 3rd, Sunday 4th then you would enter her in different classes.

• 2 weeks later...

could anyone tell me the next show in adelaide i could take my boy to,he will be in the puppy clas.

Ive got the guide but i still dont know what we can go to as it doesnt say much!

What do i need for his first show? A show chain and leash? What do i wear for a puppy class?

Sorry for all the questions,i just have no idea!:laugh:

Hi Sutton :)

Have a look at the show schedules - under classes it lists the classes on offer. If your puppy is 3-6 months it's baby class, 6-9 months is minor, 6-12 months is puppy, 12-18 months is junior 18-36 months is Intermediate and 36 months plus is open, state bred (if bred in the state you are exhibiting) or Australian bred (if bred in Australia). Not all the classes are offered all the time, but most of the classes I listed above are usually offered.

What breed do you have? Can your breeder give you any tips for the type of show lead you need, grooming tips etc? Depending on the breed, there are various ways you need to prepare fora show. A short coated breed generally needs a bath and make sure ears are clean and their nails are short. For coated breeds, is usually breed specific show preparation which you might need to learn from someone else.

I think there is a larger show in Adelaide this weekend... maybe on their website? why don't you go down and watch your breed, see what kind of lead they have and watch how they prepare their dogs. watch them in the ring, too, to see how people handle and what the judge asks them to do. i'd also look into show handling classes so hopefully someone from adelaide will come along soon and advise on what classes are on offer.

I went down to saca park today and had a look. There were a lot of people today! He was scared at first,then he loved it.

I had a lot of help from some great people also. So we will hopefully be entered into our first show in no time!

:thumbsup: Now i need to read up how to fill in these entry forms! lol.

I have a cane corso,and his breeders are in nsw. And i have only ever seen two other corsos in person, so theres not much info on them really. But i think were almost ready! Thanks

sutton the catalogue lists all the dogs entered for the whole show. again, on the show schedule, you will see how much they are charging to buy a catalogue. Just put that into the cost amount on the entry form if you want to buy one.

Ask your breeder which type of show lead you shoudl purchase for your breed.

Sutton no question is a bad one - and not everything is that obvious to the new person when entering their first show. If it helps, the show schedules and the entry forms do not vary much from state to state, so it might help the situation if you gave your breeder a call and asked them to help you through some of the questions. Write a list before you call and then write down the answers for future reference. things like Show preparation, leads and collars, dressing for the showring, footwear etc can vary from breed to breed.

Show Handler Class: Held on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month at 8.15pm, cost $3.00 at the Rotweiler Club of SA the CBD near adelaide high school.....it costs $3 for a 45 minute lesson and not very many people are there. They also spend alot of one on one time with new show people and puppies.

http://www.rottweilerclubsa.com.au/

Good Luck :):thumbsup:

Edited by Diesel's Mate

• 1 month later...

Hi, another new newbie =]

I'm a bit late getting into showing (still deciding whether to do conformation or agility, my partner and I have different opinions).

My girl is 6 months in October (when I hope to first show her, at a very small country show - expect more questions around then lol) but there is a bigger show this weekend that I am just going along to get a feel for (agility is on as well, same day/same time/different place) my question is:

As a hopeful future exhibitor, with a main registered bitch + a member of DogsNSW is it out of place/rude/wrong to bring my pup along? I wasn't going to take her, but if it IS ok, the chance to bring her out with us on sunny 30 degree day would be nice.

Thanks, I've gone through a ton of threads but haven't yet stumbled across this question other than "members of the public bringing dogs along". :)

I'm a bit late getting into showing (still deciding whether to do conformation or agility, my partner and I have different opinions).

My girl is 6 months in October (when I hope to first show her, at a very small country show - expect more questions around then lol) but there is a bigger show this weekend that I am just going along to get a feel for (agility is on as well, same day/same time/different place) my question is:

As a hopeful future exhibitor, with a main registered bitch + a member of DogsNSW is it out of place/rude/wrong to bring my pup along? I wasn't going to take her, but if it IS ok, the chance to bring her out with us on sunny 30 degree day would be nice.

Thanks, I've gone through a ton of threads but haven't yet stumbled across this question other than "members of the public bringing dogs along". :)

As long as your pup is well behaved, on a leash and not getting in the way there is probably no problem.

BUT..... you knew there was a but didn't you? :)

If this is the first show you have been to, then you may want to leave her at home this time. If you are going to get a feel for what happens at a show it is probably better not to have your pup because then you can concentrate on what's going on without having to worry about your pup.

HTH

Bear.

As long as your pup is well behaved, on a leash and not getting in the way there is probably no problem.

BUT..... you knew there was a but didn't you? :)

If this is the first show you have been to, then you may want to leave her at home this time. If you are going to get a feel for what happens at a show it is probably better not to have your pup because then you can concentrate on what's going on without having to worry about your pup.

HTH

Bear.

Thank you,

I had those exact thoughts running through my head; If I'm concentrating on Cleo, I wont be focusing on what I'm there for!

You've helped make my mind up - thanks again :)

Me again, after my very fun day at the show on Sunday, I've decided that its for me, but I would just like to ask/confirm something. I have a pup that will be 6 months by her first show, and she's a dal so non sporting....

When I see this in the gazette:

Ring 1: 6-12 mths s/stakes, gundogs, working dogs, utility, non sporting, general specials

does this mean I could do the S/stakes first, then wait and be one of the first in non sporting as I will be minor puppy and then if I win that, general specials?

That's what I've surmised from reading this thread so far...please tell me if i'm wrong!!

yes you can enter the sweeps which will be in early .

Then you will have to wait for the other 3 groups to be judged before non sporting.

You will then show in breed ,if you are a winner of either age class of breed or Best of breed you will compete for the Non sporting specials either for age class or best in group if you win either then you compete in general specials

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i have a new show pup. whats the process for starting to show him when i already have cccq membership and have been showing my other dog. Just can't remember if i need to register the new pup who is from another state with the state i am in.

• Troy unpinned this topic