Do Fussy Dogs Eat Eagle Pack?

Hi, I have two poodles who have been on a soft food diet which I dont think has been agreeing with them.

The new pup was on advance kibble but lost interest and the older dog was on hills sensitive stomach which was ok but because the pup wasnt eating hers I felt bad and gave them both wet food.

They have had some runny poos and and upset tums this week and are just on chicken and rice now. I really want to get them both on something quality with real ingredients, not byproducts.

I am leaning towards eagle pack but was wondering if anyone with smaller, fussier breeds has had any success?

I have noticed a lot of people who give eagle pack the :) have larger breeds or are working dogs, gun dogs etc.

Any input would be great.

:thumbsup:

I feed Eagle Pack and my dogs love it but saying that they are big boofy hounds and I cannot remember them ever refusing any food whatsoever :)

I did try and talk my mum iinto feeding it to her Border Terrier and gave her some to try ... but the little madam wouldn't touch it :thumbsup:

I feed eagle pack hollistic giant puppy to my young lad.He ate it well but his coat was awful on it.I have now switched him to my preferred diet after growing.

We swapped our little dogs from Euk to eagle pack power formula & they love it & are doing wonders on it.

I find with the hollistic they can be prone to getting the runs.

They dont do small bags in the power formula though

I have recently put the poodles onto Eagle pack, the first one we tried was just the standard aduly formula, the standards and mini were quite happy with it but my toy wouldn't touch it. I have now brought the holistic anchovy and sardine, none of the dogs like it, luckily I mix it with fresh and cooked meat, sardines, egg etc otherwise I don't think they would eat it. two of the dogs have also lost condition.

Once this bag runs out I won't be buying it again.

Dory got itchy feet and a dry coat on the Holistic Duck...so she is now back on the Anchovy one. She does enjoy it...and I have discovered she is a grazer!!! Unless I stick and egg on it or nice schtincky sardines on it...she won't eat smoked salmon the heathen.

Not even my cats were grazers.

Dory got itchy feet and a dry coat on the Holistic Duck...so she is now back on the Anchovy one. She does enjoy it...and I have discovered she is a grazer!!! Unless I stick and egg on it or nice schtincky sardines on it...she won't eat smoked salmon the heathen.

\\She isnt agarzer you have just enabled it :p

The more you allo wthem to graze the worse they become

Fussy dogs will eat just about anything if they are hungry enough.

Do you feed them twice a day? If so, reduce that to once and offer them food half an hour after they've had a long, vigorous walk. If they don't eat after 15 minutes, pick it up and offer NOTHING until 24 hours later. No treats.. nothing. They won't die.

They will be better off if they eat what you wish to give them, rather than what they wish to have. Fussy eaters really complicate their lives and yours.

Edited by poodlefan

my mum feeds Eaglepack to her cavaliers, think the light chicken one.

She has two cavaliers, one that would eat anything, the other a very fussy eater and both love it.

I'm not sure what Eaglepacks are but I would love to see an image of the packaging.

My 9 month old Cavalier is sending me in circles, the whole time I've had him he has just turned his nose up to almost everything I feed him, I find something he'll eat and within 2 weeks he doesn't like it anymore.. :p

my mum feeds Eaglepack to her cavaliers, think the light chicken one.

She has two cavaliers, one that would eat anything, the other a very fussy eater and both love it.

I'm not sure what Eaglepacks are but I would love to see an image of the packaging.

My 9 month old Cavalier is sending me in circles, the whole time I've had him he has just turned his nose up to almost everything I feed him, I find something he'll eat and within 2 weeks he doesn't like it anymore.. :p

You're being played. Don't cave into it. Reduce the amount and frequency of feeding and see if that makes a difference. Up the exercise too.

Edited by poodlefan

Thank-you Poodlefan..

In the past 2 days I've cut out treats all together (my partner is struggling I can tell) and I've noticed a huge difference in him already, I didn't think about getting played!! Why would he play me? :p

he's really got me wrapped around his dew claw..

\\She isnt agarzer you have just enabled it :rofl:

The more you allo wthem to graze the worse they become

:rofl: Not in this house! I don't have a lot of patience with that sort of behaviour. I only discovered this when she was left alone with the housemates overnight. I fed her before I left, when I came home there was still half a bowl and the housemates said they hadn't topped her up. When I'm home it gets picked up...Dory has learnt....eat or hunger.

She still controls me over brekky though. :p The bugger. She buries half and saves it for when I don't give her any when she is on a diet.

Eaglepack is a brand of dry food (and cans) from the U.S.

Stop pandering to your dog, you are actually exacerbating the problem by changing his food all the time, he's learned that if he doesn't happen to fancy what you put in front of him you'll give him something else. Give him his meal, leave it down for 10/15 minutes and if he doesn't eat it take it away. Give him absolutely nothing until the next mealtime and then offer him exactly the same food, if he doesn't eat it follow the same procedure as last time. Keep this up until he gives in, it may take a couple of days, but in the end he'll eat it and he'll also learn that if he doesn't eat what he's given he'll go without. It won't hurt him to go without food for a day or so, no healthy dog will starve itself to death.

Chloe is a very fussy eater, would never dare eat dry food on it's own... But happily ate any Eagle Pack I gave her - first time I've seen her not turn her nose up to dry food on it's own.

But I have to feed her a prescribed Science Diet and that's the only reason I didn't keep feeding it to her. My OH's old GSD loved it too and she did really well on it.

I think they play us so they can just get the good stuff that they DO feel like eating. For example, if a child won't eat for a while all the good vegies or similar, some might cave and feed Macca's just because 'at least they are eating something'. They've just been played... :p

Eaglepack is a brand of dry food (and cans) from the U.S.

Stop pandering to your dog, you are actually exacerbating the problem by changing his food all the time, he's learned that if he doesn't happen to fancy what you put in front of him you'll give him something else. Give him his meal, leave it down for 10/15 minutes and if he doesn't eat it take it away. Give him absolutely nothing until the next mealtime and then offer him exactly the same food, if he doesn't eat it follow the same procedure as last time. Keep this up until he gives in, it may take a couple of days, but in the end he'll eat it and he'll also learn that if he doesn't eat what he's given he'll go without. It won't hurt him to go without food for a day or so, no healthy dog will starve itself to death.

I must say I am a bit of a sucker to him, but he is my first ever fussy eater so I have freaked at times.

I did get the advice of 15 minutes down and than pick up empty or full bowl and it seems to be working well.. Lets just hope he stays that way..

You're being played. ...

Admittedly, that is commonly the case. However, it isn't necessarily always the case. I've found that out with my own boy with whom I'm experiencing health/digestive issues with. He'll be ok on something I haven't fed for a while, and then not. At this stage of the game (we're still working on getting him right) we believe he has stomach ulcers and whilst he is hungry, he begins to feel nauseous as he begins to eat. Add to that is a 'guess' that the memory of the food causing him to feel ill might have a bit of an affect as well ..... this latter is only a surmise and not a certainty.

But if your dog's stools are good and there's no other outward signs of trouble, then yes, there's a good chance you're being "played" but just wanted to point out that this isn't always the case even though it sometimes might seem to be.

Edited by Erny

You're being played. ...

Admittedly, that is commonly the case. However, it isn't necessarily always the case. I've found that out with my own boy with whom I'm experiencing health/digestive issues with. He'll be ok on something I haven't fed for a while, and then not. At this stage of the game (we're still working on getting him right) we believe he has stomach ulcers and whilst he is hungry, he begins to feel nauseous as he begins to eat. Add to that is a 'guess' that the memory of the food causing him to feel ill might have a bit of an affect as well ..... this latter is only a surmise and not a certainty.

But if your dog's stools are good and there's no other outward signs of trouble, then yes, there's a good chance you're being "played" but just wanted to point out that this isn't always the case even though it sometimes might seem to be.

Yeah thank-you..

When I got him he was a fussy eater from the start, and I put it down to that his breeder only feeds her dogs/pups the very fresh food, she cooks all her own chicken and vegs and has a proper roll press, So i put it down to that.

After speaking with the breeder I was told tonsilitis is very common with Cavaliers and I had this confirmed with another breeder and they both thought it was this and to give him puppy milk with a drop of iodine for 10 days. I did and to be honest he was quite happy eating his cookies so I highly doubt it was tonsilities cause those cookies went down quick.

I'm pretty sure your right in saying I'm getting played, I'm good and don't give into treats but the OH isn't so great, I do recall hearing myself ask him sternly if he had feed Oscar any treats before I got home and I got a No but he's not an animal person so doesn't really understand.

I'm pretty sure your right in saying I'm getting played, I'm good and don't give into treats but the OH isn't so great, I do recall hearing myself ask him sternly if he had feed Oscar any treats before I got home and I got a No but he's not an animal person so doesn't really understand.

My OH spoils the dogs rotten, it doesn't matter what I say he's always slipping them treats and he gives them all a piece of toast when he has breakfast and some of whatever he has for supper at night. They're not fussy eaters so it doesn't make them picky about their dog food, but I do wish he wouldn't do it. Still I'm glad he loves the dogs, not all OH's do so I guess I'm lucky :p