I Wonder Why ...

I can get a 20 kg frozen slab for $35 here in Western Vic. Took me probably 2 hours to separate them out and then chop them up into daily sized portions, but I paid $2/tail today for some relatively small tails 1/2 tails.

Looks like I need to work out a safe way of defrosting them, they won't fit in the fridge in that sized block. It was the defrosting/separating that took so much time last time.

Have to say I have no issues with Darcy farting on roo, but on lamb :rolleyes: phewie!!!

Would love to get it cheaper, but I think the only way I would find it any cheaper in country vic to is to shoot and cut it up myself. Tempting given the price of it lately. :laugh:

Jess where are you? those prices are much better than what I can get in the S/E suburbs..

What to go a hunting - I know a good spot. :laugh:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jess where are you? those prices are much better than what I can get in the S/E suburbs..

Warrnambool Prime Petfoods :thumbsup: They also sell frozen bunnies for $5.50 which I feed occasionally by the half as something different.

What to go a hunting - I know a good spot. :party:

Ahhh I know plenty of spots, plus a few spots where you can get feral deer as well. Seen one crossing the road in broad daylight the other day. So quick though, barely realised what it was before it was gone. If you're really lucky might even find a few feral cattle :thumbsup:

Warrnambool Prime Petfoods :thumbsup:They also sell frozen bunnies for $5.50 which I feed occasionally by the half as something different.

What to go a hunting - I know a good spot. :)

Ahhh I know plenty of spots, plus a few spots where you can get feral deer as well. Seen one crossing the road in broad daylight the other day. So quick though, barely realised what it was before it was gone. If you're really lucky might even find a few feral cattle :wave:

Bugger - just googled them:

Prime Petfood Warrnambool

50 French Street, Hamilton, VIC 3300

Bit far out of the way - normally I don't worry about that - but think I need to draw a line here...

Anyone going to Hamilton soon??? :party:

Well the bunnies over this way are $10 - $12 each :thumbsup: I am living on the wrong side of the City.....

I feed roo tail when I want to drop weight off the dog.

5 pieces for $5, each piece gets cut in half and each dog gets a piece. So $1 a day for the sibes.

Montu gets a roo tail and a chicken frame though so it's not as cheap to feed him on roo... I think yours is a Ridgie so you'd be feeding more than I feed to Montu?

Where do you get  roo on the Sunny Coast?

Aussie Pet Foods, Morayfield road, Caboolture .

Edited by MTD

Bugger - just googled them:

Prime Petfood Warrnambool

50 French Street, Hamilton, VIC 3300

Bit far out of the way - normally I don't worry about that - but think I need to draw a line here...

Anyone going to Hamilton soon??? :laugh:

Well the bunnies over this way are $10 - $12 each :) I am living on the wrong side of the City.....

I go to the one in Warrnambool itself, they must have a store at Hamilton as well. :rofl:

Edited by Jess.

I was given a whole kangaroo frame for my guys ages ago, i knew someone who was hunting (licensed) and he asked did i want one... was great.. but i Kaos wont touch it!! ARGH!!! So now i just get a tail now and then for Atlas, and get her a beef bone

King River International in Canning Vale Industrail Dist. sells chopped roo tail bones at $3 for a 2 kg bag (frozen). They also have great prices for export grade roo meat, for the humans that is.

SG do they do human grade roo mince? My IBD boy gets human grade roo mince everyday and at $7.30/kg costs me a bloody fortune from the supermarket!

SG do they do human grade roo mince? My IBD boy gets human grade roo mince everyday and at $7.30/kg costs me a bloody fortune from the supermarket!

Out of desperation (and lack of time to go hunting around - no pun intended) I've been purchasing roo mince from my local WHOLESALE butchers. They only now supply the human TOP grade roo ............... at between $13 - $15 per kilogram :rofl:. Mandela's been eating a couple of kg per day over the last couple of days. And he had the audacity to turn it into black diarrhea!!! :laugh:. And to add insult to injury, my investment in the food for him has paid dividends in the way of rotten farts. :)

Edited by Erny

Out of desperation (and lack of time to go hunting around - no pun intended) I've been purchasing roo mince from my local WHOLESALE butchers. They only now supply the human TOP grade roo ............... at between $13 - $15 per kilogram :rofl:. Mandela's been eating a couple of kg per day over the last couple of days. And he had the audacity to turn it into black diarrhea!!! :laugh:. And to add insult to injury, my investment in the food for him has paid dividends in the way of rotten farts. :)

Ouch and I'm complaining! My boy has the most sensitve tummy on the planet. The Macro Meats brand (1kg vacuum sealed bag) from Coles/Woolies etc is totally agreeable to him, all other brands I've tried have been far too rich. Perhaps give it a go? No roo farts in this house!

• 5 months later...
Only just found this thread. Not sure if you are still looking Ravyk but I know you can get Roo Tail from the Mt Barker Fodder Store and Roo Back Bone from Mt Barker Pet Cuisine.

Rural Pet Foods at O'Hallorhan Hill used to stock it to. It's way out of my way so I haven't been there for a couple of years. If I were down south I would use them all the time though. Their range of bones and prices used to be great.

:laugh: I had forgotten about this thread but since it's been brought up again I may as well update.

Kei has been on roo meat for the past 6-8 weeks or so and is doing extremely well on it. We get roo meat chunks and mince for only $3 per kilo and big bags of leg bones and spine/tail bones from the butchers in the link Persephone gave me below -Thanks Persephone! :heart:

It doesn't make Kei fart (Thank God :( ) But if he has too many spine/tail bones it does seem to be a bit rich for him and he occasionally gets an upset tummy, therefore he gets them sparingly. Leg bones are fine though- he tears off all the meat and then eats the knuckles off either end :cheer:

I have been assured that all meat is thoroughly checked and cleared for tapeworm/hydatids on processing.

secretKei..

HERE :cheer:

Only just found this thread. Not sure if you are still looking Ravyk but I know you can get Roo Tail from the Mt Barker Fodder Store and Roo Back Bone from Mt Barker Pet Cuisine.

Thanks! Will check them out next time I'm up that way.

Rural Pet Foods at O'Hallorhan Hill used to stock it to. It's way out of my way so I haven't been there for a couple of years. If I were down south I would use them all the time though. Their range of bones and prices used to be great.

That's around the corner from me, I might check it out next time I'm out.

Hi Erny,

They sell roo tails at Maroondah Produce in Ferntree Gully. From memory you get two 2 ft long pieces for $4.50.

Thanks Stella. I was sourcing them from Porky's in Cranbourne, but from the first time I got them the price rose from $2.25 to $3.25 (approx) for one length (approximately 1 foot). Also, there is a minimum purchase limit of 20kg. I might give the Ferntree Gully place a try, although it is considerably further away from me so I need to factor in the petrol and travel time element as well.