I Wonder Why ...

How come they don't sell "Kangaroo Bones" for dogs? Maybe they do, although I've not heard of it. Save for things such as "dried roo tails". But I'm talking about just normal raw bones, like lamb shanks etc. etc. Is there something wrong with giving roo bones to your dog?

Just wondering.

Edited by Erny

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erny - you can get fresh roo tails but they are expensive, I was able to get them in bulk ages ago so will see if I can get them in again, if so would you be interested? Once I contact the supplier and get a price I will let you know. I have seen them sell for a rip off price of $4 + each so will not buy them at that price from the shops.

Hopefully I will be able to get other parts too.

Edited by Andisa

At this stage of the game (you know I'm still being experimental with Mandela's diet and trying to find what specific food ingredient he seems to be reacting to), yes .... I would be very interested, thanks Andisa. It will take a few weeks of experimentation to determine if all is well with roo meat, but if it is, I wouldn't mind trying a roo bone. Assuming there is no health risk (other than the usual health risks any dog can have with any bone) that would be specific to roo bones? If you get some, I can always freeze them in my new freezer until I'm ready for them :wave:.

Edited by Erny

Our local butcher sells Kangaroo tail bones for $2 a kilo. Unfortunately Shar's stomach doesn't like them ( :wave: ) so I don't buy them anymore, lol.

I am having trouble buying anything other than roo in our town for dogs bones though so I have the opposite problem, lol

Jodi

Ok - this is where I used to get them from - not sure if they still stock them or how much..

Lilydale Pet Foods

Phone: (03) 9739 6434

Street: Fact 11/ 478 Maroondah Highway

Town/City: Lilydale, VIC

jodi1981 - where are you - I think everyone in here would love to get fresh roo tails for that price - I know I would..

What a shame your dogs can't eat them..

Edited by Andisa

Our local butcher doesn't sell them because he believes that people have a 'bad association' with roo meat and that it's low quality so he wont have it in the shop :wave:

I have been told that a butcher in another town sell bags of roo bones though so it must be out there, I just dont want to drive half an hour to get it :rofl:

Our local butcher doesn't sell them because he believes that people have a 'bad association' with roo meat and that it's low quality so he wont have it in the shop :wave:

I have been told that a butcher in another town sell bags of roo bones though so it must be out there, I just dont want to drive half an hour to get it :rofl:

I drive over 40 mins just for goats milk and about the same when I went to Lilydale, anything within 30 mins is a bonus even though I have a great butcher in the next suburb that I go to all the time to fill the freezers up.

If I want it bad enough I just go and get it. :(

Bonnie Parker - free roo bones - bugger - wish I could get it free.... :)

Edited by Andisa

I drive over 40 mins just for goats milk and about the same when I went to Lilydale, anything within 30 mins is a bonus even though I have a great butcher in the next suburb that I go to all the time to fill the freezers up.

If I want it bad enough I just go and get it. :(

You're right, I probably don't want it badly enough... may have something to do with the freezer I have which is already overflowing with various other types of dog bones :) Well that and the fact that I'm not the most confident driver and wont drive on the highway on my own :) I'll have to make the effort to grab some next time I'm up that way.

Bonnie Parker- I've been offered free roo too, but free roo for me meant roo shot in someones block and then dumped in the back of the ute. Makes me a bit squeamish knowing that :)

meant roo shot in someones block and then dumped in the back of the ute. Makes me a bit squeamish

That's exactly how all the other roos are obtained too :wave: Except , instead of one... the shooter may get 50 a night!

How come they don't sell "Kangaroo Bones" for dogs? Maybe they do, although I've not heard of it. Save for things such as "dried roo tails". But I'm talking about just normal raw bones, like lamb shanks etc. etc. Is there something wrong with giving roo bones to your dog?

Just wondering.

Hey Ernie,

There is a lady who has a pet food shop at the south melbourne markets. She has roo tails most days. Our staffy LOVES them. Lots of meat and a huge bone to chew on afterwards. Sorry cant remember how much they are.

That's exactly how all the other roos are obtained too :o Except , instead of one... the shooter may get 50 a night!

Ooohhh, dont tell me that persephone. I want to think that if it comes from the butcher it's killed humanely (if there is such a way)

I was concerned that wild roo would be full of tapeworms though? I remember something about it being mentioned during puppy class.

Thanks for the link :)

We carry fresh roo tails in a vac sealed 2-pack, just weighed one at 2kg. They are very meaty and a decent size. $4.50 a pack. Fresh or frozen. :)

Sags

Where are you located, Sags?