New Puppy On A Budget

IggiePiggie

No, I don't think you appear 'penniless' ... I think the general gist of your thread is a great idea in this economic climate, even though some of us may have liked to spend our Krudd $900 on dog stuff !

We're in Sydney and just figured we're chucking out the stuff anyway, but may not be worth the price of the postage ! Feel free to PM if you want to follow up.

Thanks!

I am getting an italian greyhound so chances of any of your pups gear fitting.

But thanks BOZTHEPUP, so generous.

I will post pics when he comes, whether it is in 3 weeks or 4 weeks

Edited by IggiePiggie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive never had a problem, and either has anyone else i know, so each to there own.

I seem to recall someone on here describing an incident where their pup inhaled beans and ended up in intensive care.

As for toys for the OP - dont stress. Truth be known your pup is going to enjoy toilet rolls and empty plastic drink bottles just as much as an expensive toy.

If people knew how much spare cash I had on hand for vet bills, I would be howled out of DOL forever. You dont need to be rolling in cash to own and care for dogs properly.

I feed a kennel of 10 dogs for around $150 a month. I buy flea and worming treatments online, doing my homework. When it comes to non emergency vet stuff, I shop around there too. I've travelled as far a 1 1/2 hours to get a good deal. Of course I've also had to use the emergency vet where it is $100 to walk in the door. I get old towels & blankets from various sources...friends, family and the op shop. I dont use a lot of toys. Rather get some big meaty bones for the bored kids. The one who loves toys has 3, and he only has those at shows anyway. The Reject Shop often has good quality, but cheap bowls/leads/toys/chews. When I see them stocking raw hide chews, I stock up, because they are far cheaper than any other place you can buy them. Always buy things that will last - eg stainless steal bowls rather than plastic.

There are plenty of ways to economise on dog stuff.

And the OP's cash issues are temporary, as is normal life, I can't believe some are questioning whether they can really afford a dog.

If people knew how much spare cash I had on hand for vet bills, I would be howled out of DOL forever. You dont need to be rolling in cash to own and care for dogs properly.

I feed a kennel of 10 dogs for around $150 a month. I buy flea and worming treatments online, doing my homework. When it comes to non emergency vet stuff, I shop around there too. I've travelled as far a 1 1/2 hours to get a good deal. Of course I've also had to use the emergency vet where it is $100 to walk in the door. I get old towels & blankets from various sources...friends, family and the op shop. I dont use a lot of toys. Rather get some big meaty bones for the bored kids. The one who loves toys has 3, and he only has those at shows anyway. The Reject Shop often has good quality, but cheap bowls/leads/toys/chews. When I see them stocking raw hide chews, I stock up, because they are far cheaper than any other place you can buy them. Always buy things that will last - eg stainless steal bowls rather than plastic.

There are plenty of ways to economise on dog stuff.

And the OP's cash issues are temporary, as is normal life, I can't believe some are questioning whether they can really afford a dog.

Well said Rysup!!

It would seem that people are too busy giving each other pats on the back or outdoing each other. Mind you, in-between the assumption making and 'one up man ship there has been some awesome suggestions that actually addressed the question asked.

Personally, apart from a Kong, I have shopped very thriftily on all the pup toys I've bought.

I have also found tuff dog toys in shops like the reject shop and Flash Harrys for $2 - $5 that retail in shops from Big W to pet & produce stores for up to $20 MAX. - I will keep keep my eyes open for the raw hide chews from F/Harrys also.. :eek:) -

My friend has a pup that loves rolling around a Milo tin that has rocks in it..lol - Its very noisy, perhaps that's why the pup loves it!!

Probably, like children, dogs will have fun, and find enjoyment with anything that is given to them with love. My son, who's 1 ESPECIALLY loves a toy that was made 4 years ago for my 1st son. A coke bottle with rice in it...LMAO~~ He loves it! :confused:

Edited by Puppy2009

stainless steal bowls rather than plastic.

The Warehouse (also called Sams Warehouse in some places) have fabulous stainless steel dog bowls for around $5 each....the smaller ones are even cheaper. I have about 8 of them in the kitchen, 2 permanantly in the car and one on the balcony for when the dogs are vegging out with me. I've had plastic ones in the past, but they split and go powdery, the stainless steel ones just last and last. I wash them every day in the dishwasher, so the dogs always have clean bowls and they are a very good investment.

If you sew, or know someone who does, or even just pick up cheap remnants in a fabic store, you can make really cheap tug toys from tightly plaited polar fleece fabric strips. My dogs LOVE them and they last for ages.

stainless steal bowls rather than plastic.

The Warehouse (also called Sams Warehouse in some places) have fabulous stainless steel dog bowls for around $5 each....the smaller ones are even cheaper. I have about 8 of them in the kitchen, 2 permanantly in the car and one on the balcony for when the dogs are vegging out with me. I've had plastic ones in the past, but they split and go powdery, the stainless steel ones just last and last. I wash them every day in the dishwasher, so the dogs always have clean bowls and they are a very good investment.

I agree, Sam's Warehouse has really good priced bowls and other doggy things! :rofl:

Also, buy your worming and flea products etc from here...http://www.pricelesspets.com.au heaps heaps cheaper than anywhere else I've looked!

Edited by Shellectra

HI!

So I had all my puppy plans set out.

I get paid monthly so i was to go buy all my supplies this weekend for when the puppy get here in 3 weeks.

However, as it goes in my life, my car broke down with major problems last week and i had to spend most of my puppy cash on fixing it.

SO

I am trying to do puppy preparation on a budget.

I had been looking at puppy pens online to buy for leaving the puppy inside when i got out. However they were almost $120.

I looked around the forum and saw the bunnings compost cages.

$26 - DONE

Another thing I found when i was on here was some DOLer with whippets had used a box as a crate and cut a whole in the fornt and filled it with blankets.

I am looking for more ideas i guess.

They dont have to be permanent as I get paid a week and a half after he gets here.

Ijust thought it would be a good place to share some ideas...

:laugh:

That was me!! :eek:

HI!

So I had all my puppy plans set out.

I get paid monthly so i was to go buy all my supplies this weekend for when the puppy get here in 3 weeks.

However, as it goes in my life, my car broke down with major problems last week and i had to spend most of my puppy cash on fixing it.

SO

I am trying to do puppy preparation on a budget.

I had been looking at puppy pens online to buy for leaving the puppy inside when i got out. However they were almost $120.

I looked around the forum and saw the bunnings compost cages.

$26 - DONE

Another thing I found when i was on here was some DOLer with whippets had used a box as a crate and cut a whole in the fornt and filled it with blankets.

I am looking for more ideas i guess.

They dont have to be permanent as I get paid a week and a half after he gets here.

Ijust thought it would be a good place to share some ideas...

:laugh:

That was me!! :eek:

on ebay theres a shop called petproductsontheweb there flea, heartworm and worm treatments are the cheapest i've found and they have free delivery!!!!!!!!!! i've used them for the past 6 months

I personally dont bother with pet insurance as such as i am dubious as to wheter or not it would cover what my needs were.....

INSTEAD I asked my vets for their bank details and deposit an amount each week under my account name/number.

I have found this to be a great saver...it can be used on ANYTHING and I also found that should you have a higher bill the vets are more likely to give you some leeway as they know you are a regular payer.

You will be surprised how quickly $10/20 a week can add up when your having a good run of no sickness :laugh:

Also handy for wormers vaccs etc.

FBC we have quiet a few people at work who do this & if I wasn't working there i would do the same thing, it can add up very quickly as can the bills, it is a great idea.

Good luck with your new baby, cant wait to see pics

If you sew, or know someone who does, or even just pick up cheap remnants in a fabic store, you can make really cheap tug toys from tightly plaited polar fleece fabric strips. My dogs LOVE them and they last for ages.

Good idea GayleK :cry: :p This is going to be my weekend project now :p

Thank you OP for starting this topic! I have gotten so many good ideas. We don't get to pick up our puppy for another 5 or 6 weeks, but I am slowly buying all the supplies etc as I see them on sale as I can spread out the initial cost a bit.

Dh and I went to Bunnings yesterday and had a look at the compost/dog crates. We will be buying 2 of them and making a proper crate for our new pup (so it will have a panel each for roof and floor).

I also have some old cotton toweling bathmats, so thanks to whomever suggested cutting them up and making chew toys with them. I thought I would sew a long piece of towel bathmat into a good tube shape, then use 3 different colours and plait them together to make a good, sturdy, and cheap chew toy.

I thought I would add another cheap option into the mix that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Children's flip-out sofas make great dog beds. My kids are older now, but we still have one in the family room as our old dog has declared it to be his bed. While they are not cheap to buy brand new, sometimes you can find them cheap at op-shops, or on freecycle.

I personally dont bother with pet insurance as such as i am dubious as to wheter or not it would cover what my needs were.....

INSTEAD I asked my vets for their bank details and deposit an amount each week under my account name/number.

I have found this to be a great saver...it can be used on ANYTHING and I also found that should you have a higher bill the vets are more likely to give you some leeway as they know you are a regular payer.

You will be surprised how quickly $10/20 a week can add up when your having a good run of no sickness :thumbsup:

Also handy for wormers vaccs etc.

I agree with you about insurance.. I think there's way too much small print with them and I know it would be just my luck to get something they don't cover and not only have to fork out the money for the insurance (which when you look at it per year is really hefty) but the cost of the vet bills as well!

I also do a similar thing to you but in my own bank account which is perhaps something you want to consider.. do your research and find a low fee one with as high interest rates as possible, at least that way you are earning the benefits of the interest not your vet (though admittedly with rates the way they are atm its not so great)! The money does build up and should a situation happen then at least you'll have no probs paying the vet or at least giving them some of the money. I set it up automatically so I don't miss the money from my pay. All animal health expenses come out of this account :)

I would be getting insurance for sure!

I have an insurance policy, for my lab puppy, which costs around $450 a year. In the last 6 months I have made around $6000 worth of claims. To me insurance is well worth it and there are lots of good insurance policies around.

I think insurance is good, I have mine for big accidents, broken bones, snake bites, and I hope I never use it!

Stainless steel bowls, I have some I got 15 years ago and they still look fantastic.

I use polar fleece blankets that I picke up over time from Woolworths, thingz, reddot. They wash and dry really well

Buy your flea/heartworm products online as it is WAY cheaper. ABout $35 dollars a packet for me!

One of Rommi's favourite toys is plaited polar fleece.

If you can, sew your own dog coats, but for an Iggy a sleeve cut off a jumper and then trimmed for size will probably work quite well.

Buy one or two really good strong toys, say a Kong, but then try to create SAFE alternatives from readily available things from arount the home!

Oh and yes please for puppy pictures.

Hey -

not sure if anyone is interested but I got some soft toys brand new at Coles for 75 cents each!! They are an assortment of soft dogs.....15cm tall and although it says $5 they are scanning at 75 cents....Bargain....no beans in them either. Happy to post a pic as my daughter took one of them all lined up. I got 10 for my boy to put away and 10 for a friend :thumbsup: did not look odd at all I am quite sure.....a trolley loaded with 20 soft dogs :cheer:

bec

I know this is a bit dorky, but I'd been telling my sister about all these great cheap ideas.

Anyway, her and my best friend surprised me today and told me they are throwing me a puppy-shower!!

ahahah

It is so great because it was really the little things that i was having trouble with...

SUCH A NICE IDEA.

SO FUNNY.

V. CUTE.

So obviously i am stil v happy since they told me.

I am making a list of little things ask for like a nice bowl, or a kong etc

Sorry, I was so surprised and happy when they told me, honestly, cutest thing ever.