The New Puppy Has Arrived ....

Tilly

The new GSD puppy (red sable) arrived last night ... and he absolutely stunk. The smell was the worst I have ever come across. He has messed in his crate and it was caked in him.

Regardless of the time last night the first thing we did when we got home was run him through the hydrobath. He still smells a little but no where near as bad - I was trying to get it done as quickly as possible so we could dry him off. He will probably get another bath today when it is a little warmer.

He was also extremely thirsty and slightly dehydrated. He had a drink when we picked him up and polished off almost 2 bowls of water that night once home. He was trying to lick the walls of the hydrobath. I gave him a small quantity of food and he wolfed that down. I swear he has doubled in weight overnight - I had given him a couple of hard biscuits which I thought would give him something to nibble on - he was chewing on them for most of the night.

And unfortunately he is a very vocal little boy ... even when he is sleeping he is whinging. His loud whinging last night was upsetting our other GSD - who is supposed to be taking things easy with his leg.

He cries every time I leave the room and then only way he settled last night was with me sleeping beside him. I understand it has all been a big experience for him but how do I get him to understand he doesn't need me there 24/7. I don't really want him crying loudly because of our other GSD.

He has now been toilets and feed and is sleeping in the bottom of his crate ... and whinging at the same time.

I will try and post some photo's later when I catch up on some sleep.

He is a terror on 4 legs. He cries when he is eating, he cries when his food bowl is empty ... and all the times in between :thumbsup:

He had his vet check today and got a clean bill of health - he tipped the scales at 6.5kg. We then went and got him a new collar and some Royal Canin (which he loves) ...

I haven't got many photo's yet because he doesn't sit still long enough.

The first two are of his first hydrobath - because he was a major stinker ... and a short moment of peace and quiet.

post-1668-1243322158_thumb.jpg

post-1668-1243322394_thumb.jpg

post-1668-1243322443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tilly

Ha ha! I know all about vocal puppies!! My little guy (now just over 4 months old) is very keen to tell me his opinions on anything! He was really bad when alll his siblings left and he was the only one here (I bred the litter) but now after a month he has calmed down a little but will still sit out in his pen and bark for quite sometime before he shuts up!

I had heard GSDs were vocal, and my girl sure was when I first got her 4 weeks ago! She whined randomly, cried and shrieked like she was being skinned if I went out of her sight etc. This has DEFINATELY eased up over the 4 short weeks I have had her, shes much more independent now (probably has to do with the fact she is home alone for 9hrs 5 days a week and is used to the routine already) and she will hang outside by herself for a bit now too.. which I thought would never happen!

I think when they settle into their home environment they become less vocal too because they lose a lot of their initial anxiety. She knows the ins and outs of our home now, and even for example we have a barrier up so she cant get into the bedroom, and when I initially started going in there and she would be left behind in the lounge, she would do her screaming/crying thing... now that she knows I go in that room, and do return, she will sit/lie patiently at the barrier or go off and chew a toy :) same applies to when we leave and come from work.. initially she would scream and scream and scream, it was bloody awful. Now, she knows when we are departing she gets a tasty kong, and thats all she wants, lol, she doesn't care we are leaving!! And when we return she used to be crying already, but now she stays silent and will jump on the door as we try to open it (yay no more shrieking like a banshee!)

Hopefully your guys vocality eases up :rofl: He is very very pretty!

Oh he is gorgeous :cheer: :cheer: :rofl:

I to was blessed with a vocal GSD. I almost took her back before we got home cos she screamed so badly. My mum likes to remind me how I rang her from the car on the way home in tears because the puppy was so loud, I seriously doubted I had made the right choice. It was heartbreaking, she seemed so sad to leave her littler mates.

She settled down after two days though and was quite happy. She was still vocal though, and still is to this day, though no where near as bad.

I have vague memories of sneaking off to have showers when she was asleep, otherwise she screamed the whole time.... GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

We thankfully had a good night last night. We went to bed at about 8am (after a big play and toilet). He slept through until about 11:30pm when he started to cry. I picked him up out of the crate and took him outside immediately - no play, talking etc. He went to the toilet immediately so we went back to bed and he slept through until about 5 or 5:30 am (my eyes where not fully awake).

We still get a bit of screaming and whimpering but it is settling down a lot. He is currently snoring softly in his crate at the moment.

I moved him from the lounge room to my bedroom so he can still see me when I am in bed but when I leave the room he is getting better - I can close the bedroom door when he gets noisy and he is learning that I do come back and there is no need to cry. Not bad after 2 days.

Well ... pup has now got a name ... Kaine.

My brother decided to take the pup for the day (he is shacked up with the girlfriend) ... first he called to say the pup does nothing but sleep. A hour or so ago I get a call to come and get the pup - it won't go to sleep and it is chewing on absolutely everything. It told him to play with it, feed it, toilet it and then put it back in the crate ... he did but it doesn't want to sleep and it just sits in the crate whinging ... and he can't stand it whinging any longer. Told him to get used to it and I will see him in the morning ... now for a nice long sleep :wave:

Actually I am having trouble sleeping ... I kind of miss the little brat :rofl:

Edited by Tilly

My brother decided to take the pup for the day (he is shacked up with the girlfriend) ... first he called to say the pup does nothing but sleep. A hour or so ago I get a call to come and get the pup - it won't go to sleep and it is chewing on absolutely everything. It told him to play with it, feed it, toilet it and then put it back in the crate ... he did but it doesn't want to sleep and it just sits in the crate whinging ... and he can't stand it whinging any longer. Told him to get used to it and I will see him in the morning ... now for a nice long sleep :wave:

Actually I am having trouble sleeping ... I kind of miss the little brat :rofl:

I am not sure that leaving "it" with your brother for the night was a good idea.

In your previous post, you said that Kaine is just starting to get better with his whinging after 2 days.

This is because he had started to settle into a routine.

He was getting to know you and his surroundings.

Now you have disrupted this by sending him to another strange place, with strange people, who don't even really want to have him there, just so you can get a nice long sleep.

Not really fair on the pup, in my opinion.

New puppy owners should be prepared for some sleepless nights. It comes with the territory.

Julie

Well actually the pup belongs to my brother and normally he shares the house with me.

The main problem is we have a 7 year old GSD with a crutial ligament injury and he is upset by the puppies crying - he thinks there is something wrong and desperately tries to get inside to the pup - and in the process has hurt his leg again.

My brother thought he would help out by taking his pup and spending some time with his pup ... the pup had his crate and all his familiar things with him. I don't want him bonding completely with me - he has to bond with both of us.

The pup was quite happy playing with my brother and my brother kept up the "normal" routine ... only problem was my brother was not used to the pup's crying when the pup is crated. My brother thought he would play with it, feed it and toilet it and then it would go to sleep nicely in the crate.

Pup has to get used to changes in its environment and sleep in various places with various things going on around him.

My brother decided to take the pup for the day (he is shacked up with the girlfriend) ... first he called to say the pup does nothing but sleep. A hour or so ago I get a call to come and get the pup - it won't go to sleep and it is chewing on absolutely everything. It told him to play with it, feed it, toilet it and then put it back in the crate ... he did but it doesn't want to sleep and it just sits in the crate whinging ... and he can't stand it whinging any longer. Told him to get used to it and I will see him in the morning ... now for a nice long sleep :scared:

Actually I am having trouble sleeping ... I kind of miss the little brat :crazy:

I am not sure that leaving "it" with your brother for the night was a good idea.

In your previous post, you said that Kaine is just starting to get better with his whinging after 2 days.

This is because he had started to settle into a routine.

He was getting to know you and his surroundings.

Now you have disrupted this by sending him to another strange place, with strange people, who don't even really want to have him there, just so you can get a nice long sleep.

Not really fair on the pup, in my opinion.

New puppy owners should be prepared for some sleepless nights. It comes with the territory.

Julie

I must admit I agree. Maybe your brother could have arranged his schedule to spend more time helping puppy settle in his new environment. We know in advance (usually) when we are getting a new puppy and a few days hard work in the beginning is worth hundreds further down the track.