Meeting A Breeder- Gilbert Is Home!

Cosmolo

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the name Gilbert :champagne: .

Can't wait for pics. Is the breeder not keeping a male to run on? If she is not keeping a male to run on you could probably pick at any time but I would leave it as late as possible if you can because then you have more chance of picking for personality than you do for looks. It is hard to bypass those super cute looks no matter how much you know you should. I'd also ask the breeder as she will be watching them each and every day. She might be watching a pup over the weeks and thinking it could be the one for you only for it to be quiet as a mouse the day you turn up - 'cause I figure you want one with lots of oomph :birthday: .

• 3 weeks later...

Just came upon the more recent events in this thread, Cosmolo.

Congratulations on the pups being born. What a lovely start to the New Year for you :cheer:.

PS I like the pup in the photo where 2 of them are being held. The pup with the dark muzzle. :vomit:

I have to say I don't envy you in making your choice, they are just the cutest little puddin pies. I'm pretty sure its a girl, so not what you are after, but that little one at the front of them sleeping is just squeezable. She truly looks like a planted teddy bear.

So the question is, for those of you who have done this before- how do you choose? We haven't really done this before- OH chose Jessie because she was the only one in the litter with a tail, I chose Cosmo because i had to get a girl (because of who i was living with) and she has symmetrical markings :laugh: and Dexter and Georgie were from the shelter- Dexter as a lone puppy and Georgie as an adult.

Of course we will consider their temperament of the pups- but given their lines and how they are being raised, i think they will all have great temps. They are all gorgeous- great markings and likely rough or broken coats.

We are going to see them on Friday and will take more photos- they will be 4 weeks old with the other litter 2 weeks old.

Smoothie girl- i think you should get one too!

So the question is, for those of you who have done this before- how do you choose? We haven't really done this before- OH chose Jessie because she was the only one in the litter with a tail, I chose Cosmo because i had to get a girl (because of who i was living with) and she has symmetrical markings :laugh: and Dexter and Georgie were from the shelter- Dexter as a lone puppy and Georgie as an adult.

Of course we will consider their temperament of the pups- but given their lines and how they are being raised, i think they will all have great temps. They are all gorgeous- great markings and likely rough or broken coats.

We are going to see them on Friday and will take more photos- they will be 4 weeks old with the other litter 2 weeks old.

Smoothie girl- i think you should get one too!

I haven't read this whole thread but assume you are looking for a very trainable dog. If possible choose one that makes eye contact with you when you talk to them. You can teach this to a puppy but some are just born that way and they are so wonderful to train if they have that natural inclination. You will find as they grow that while the temperaments may be similar the personalities will all be different. Always choose a compatible personality, not on marking or any other cosmetic feature. The choice is best made at about 6 weeks or later and take notice of anything the breeder observes in their behaviour.

No idea if you are looking to show or not, but if you are, conformation has to be the most important point.

Yes definitely trainable- what makes it tricky though is that all of the breeders dogs are lovely- they are all different in terms of temperament and we would be happy with any one of them so if the pups have similar temperaments to the adults (different but all lovely) i don't know how we'll choose. I think we're almost too flexible with the temperament we're after. The breeder is great and said we can wait till 8 weeks to decide and we get to choose before anyone else- which i think is really amazing.

No we are not looking to show so we just need sound conformation.