Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Troy

Why is Dogs Victoria allowing the breeding of blue to blue to continue?

I don't think it's up to Dogs Victoria to decide, this would be an ANKC issue I believe. And the reason it is allowed to continue? Less kind people would say it is all about the registration fees. Me, I think it could be because there is no scientific data to prove there is an inherent health risk to the majority of pups in this practice. Risk to the quality of the breed, absolutely, but an actual universal health risk, no proof.

And allowing the inflated price?

We live in a democracy. ANKC Dogs Vic, SBT Club of Victoria - none of them have any control over what price people ask for their pups. It is absolutely no business of anyone except the buyer and the seller what the final price is. People are allowed to ask whatever price they like for "goods" and consumers are allowed to accept or reject that price as they feel is best. It is up to the consumer to determine the worth of the "goods" being offered. People research the prices of TVs, Fridges and Cars but apparently don't bother with puppies.

Yes I am one of the many that stupidly did not do my homework in regards to blue staffords. I was purely a buyer, thought I was doing the right thing in buying a 'Registered' Dog. In purchasing a papered dog you assume you don't have to do your homework.

Uh huh. So if you are buying a TV or a car you don't check out the features or prices either?

Sorry you feel you have got burned, I hope your pup is a lovely pet for you and your family regardless of your mistakes and lives the long and happy life it deserves.

Edited by Sandra777

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question to settle an arguement, for any staffy people, There is a stafford in at the kennels I work at which is like a dilute of a fawn? It is a fawny colour all over, with a "blue" grey muzzle. We are all wondering what the correct colour term for this staffy colour is? Is it liver? Or Isabella? Blue fawn? Or something completely different? :laugh: I know the same colour in Cane Corso is called "Formentino" but have no idea about staffies. Thanks.

Edited by boxagirl

Quick question to settle an arguement, for any staffy people, There is a stafford in at the kennels I work at which is like a dilute of a fawn? It is a fawny colour all over, with a "blue" grey muzzle. We are all wondering what the correct colour term for this staffy colour is? Is it liver? Or Isabella? Blue fawn? Or something completely different? :laugh: I know the same colour in Cane Corso is called "Formentino" but have no idea about staffies. Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I googled what the "Formentino" colour is in the Cane Corso and I believe they would brand it a 'Blue Fawn' in a stafford.

• 2 months later...

Staff

It just seems you have alot of hatred to the breeder due to your missfourtune and mistake in judgement. You have alot of unused energy that needs to be released and becoming a keyboard ninja on here bad mouthing your breeder is not the way of doing it. I agree with the above posts....

Contact the Canine Council

Contact a Lawyer

From a buyers view you will have some rights if you signed a sale agreement with inclusions reguarding the health and safety of the pup.

Naming and shaming a breeder due to your horrible situation is not the way to go about it.

Need to release anger....??? I hear boxing bags work a treat :)

Edited by murmarstaffs

People are constantly warned about what is known as the ''Nigerian Scam'', but, despite the warnings, many are still lured by the thought of easy money & they get severely burned.

I wonder if staff has fallen for the same ''easy money'' scenario.

Breeding blues for bucks could be better termed the ''blue scam''.

Sucker bait.

No sympathy staff, you knew the risks, you ignored the warnings, you pay the piper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all

I can't seem to find the answer to this elsewhere but I was interested in finding out about the average health of SBTs excluding the diseases/conditions that can be tested genetically. Are they pretty robust or do you find you spend alot of money/time at the vets? Are they a breed where you've found you've ended up in emergency frequently? I don't know if chronic diseases like diabetes are more common in certain breeds?

I realise this may be a bit difficult to answer generally so looking more at your experiences with the breed. Asking because we pick up our girl Fri and I'm still undecided about if we should purchase pet insurance...

Thanks

Personally I have not owned a Stafford with a chronic health problem, and I have owned them in multiples since 1980 (and singly since 1978).

SOME Staffords have chronic allergy issues and this I think would be the biggest problem in the breed as a whole.

Demodex would be the second biggest problem in the breed as a whole.

Both these are strongly linked to the immune system so it is essential you question the breeder very closely about the occurance of allergic reactions to grass, food, pollen, carpet cleaner etc in the sire and dam and the grandparents.

Apart from this I would say the tendency to act without thinking is the next biggest problem in the breed and especially with a young dog (up to 2 or 3) you will often find yourself rushing to the vet for stupid and embarrassing things.

Ate a mobile phone

Ran through a glass door

Fell off a log and landed on head (despite common belief, you can hurt a Stafford by hitting it on the head :laugh: )

Sliced almost completely through a front pad playing with a edge cutter lawn-thingy

Burned nose trying to catch a fly that landed on the BBQ

These are a few things just one of my little treasures did in the first 5 years of her life.

I think between my mother, sister, brother and myself we have had about 15 Staffords.

There were 2 with skin allergies and both were environmental... Wandering dew found in the yard.

My old boy had a lot of stuff going on when he was older. Diagnosed with kidney stones when he was 6, then mast cell cancer when he was 8. Pancreatitis kicked in and he had a few stints in hospital after he was 12.

He was also allergic to bees and had to have adrenalin a couple of times as his curiosity got the better of him...

He lived until he was 14 and a half. He had a good life despite what he went through and up to the day before he was given his wings, he was still playing under the sprinklers and going for a walk every day.

I think on the whole they are a pretty robust breed, health wise...

It would be more the silly accidents like hurting legs from jumping or running like a loon. Chasing bees or snakes or running into glass doors etc like Sandra suggested that get you to the vets more than illness..

Thanks Sandra and Staffyluv, thats a big help

Oh dear Sandra :eek: that's quite a list of accomplishments for one little girl to achieve in only 5 years :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sorry to hear of all your boy went through Staffyluv but it sounds like he was loved very much :flower:

Yeah I thought they might be accident prone more than anything :laugh:

I checked on allergies back in my first talks with the breeder after reading about it here and there was no history of chronic allergies dam, sire, grandparents. There hadn't been any history of any skin allergies in her line (dam, grandparents) until earlier this year when they all got a mild tummy rash which she thought was from all the damp grass around at the time but that cleared up easily and hasn't reoccurred. So thinking thats ok.

Thanks again... 1 more sleep :happydance2:

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, I am new to the sight and relatively new to the Staffordshire world.

I had two beautiful English Staffordshire's until recently our female was bitten by a tiger snake. Our male is nearly five and has been with the female since he was one.

I understand he has lost his best mate and will grieve for her but does anyone know approx how long?

He has suffered from separation anxiety as a pup hence the our decision to find him mate. They were inseparable.

Our dogs have been very involved in our family tripping across the countryside wherever we may go.

My main concern is that he will never be the same. He does not want to leave our side, he will howl and cry if he can't see us, sleeping all the time and laying where she passed.

What are others experiences if any and how did you help your companion.

Hi Everyone

Im new to the site, but slowly finding my way around and figuring things out. :D

I do have a question tho,

HOW MUCH SHOULD YOUR STAFFY WEIGH AND HOW TALL SHOULD IT BE?????

I own a 4 year old Brindle Boy and 3 Year old Red girl

i dont have their exact measurements or weight on me (at work, i will get them tonight)but i seem to see staffys that are MUCH BIGGER or chunkier than my two??

IS IT TO DO WITH WHAT YOU FEED THEM?

Both of them go for a 45min to 1 hour walk every morning (if we dont there will be trouble when we get home) and they get another 45min to 1 hour in the afternoon! could it be they get too much exercise to get big??

We are always seeing bigger staffs with wider heads and what just seem to be chunkier all over!! Both of them are pure breads we purchased them from QLD and had them flown to us here in Perth. Health checks are all clear.

Our Female still looks like a puppy!!!!!!! :confused: people are always asking how old is she when we say 3 they are in complete shock??? We did have one breeder ask us whilst doing the RSPCA Paws Walk if he could breed from her...aparently he said her size was perfect??

Should we expect our dogs to get chunkier or wider with age or is this it.!!!

I do not wish for my two to be anything more than what they are now but we see so many big staffs i just dont get why ours seem so little???

Could it be maybe because we see them everyday?? i dont know ? lol

Here is a pick of both of them :) i will get their measurements and weights tonight!

HOW MUCH SHOULD YOUR STAFFY WEIGH AND HOW TALL SHOULD IT BE?????

The breed standard is in the first post of this thread.

Sizes: Weight: Dogs 13-17 kg (28-38 lbs)

Bitches 11-15.4 kg (24-34 lbs)

Desirable Height: 36-41 cms (14-16 ins)

(these heights being related to the weights)

However, just like people they can be bigger or smaller than "normal". Height is measured to the top of the shoulder (withers)

Also, the weights in the standard are really intended for dogs in show condition, not pet condition.

Honestly, as long as you can easily feel their ribs they are a perfectly good healthy weight.

Some people deliberately breed for bigger dogs and this is wrong. If you have a look at the puppy pages here you come across adverts boasting that the sire weighs 25 kg and the dam is 23 kg. Either these dogs are seriously obese or just plain too big.

Do you have ANKC registration papers for them?

Edited by Sandra777