Show Coats

If you are using a good quality shampoo etc you shouldn't have any problems - at least I don't. I use the plush puppy range. If I have a show one weekend after the next, I don't do the full wash and dry each week - just keep my boy clean (and yes, he is cream!) and boof him up before we go on. Has worked fine for us thus far.

My boy gets washed weekly for shows. I add a tin of sardines in oil to his food a couple times per week, and I also supplement with Megaderm. I try to alternate shampoos and use something mild (eg Aloveen) every other bath.

My boy gets washed weekly for shows. I add a tin of sardines in oil to his food a couple times per week, and I also supplement with Megaderm. I try to alternate shampoos and use something mild (eg Aloveen) every other bath.

Miss B how on earth do you keep him white. Most of the time he has a weekly bath occaisionally in this weather its 2 a week. I use fidos puppy on him then one in 4 a whitening shampoo but tis week I noticed he has a little staining on his legs from chewing??? so I wondered weather an oil supplement is worthwhile. I have tried sardines but he doesnt go nuts for em. Goes mad for tuna in olive oil when I eat it for lunch maybe some of that instead??

Miss B how on earth do you keep him white. Most of the time he has a weekly bath occaisionally in this weather its 2 a week. I use fidos puppy on him then one in 4 a whitening shampoo but tis week I noticed he has a little staining on his legs from chewing??? so I wondered weather an oil supplement is worthwhile. I have tried sardines but he doesnt go nuts for em. Goes mad for tuna in olive oil when I eat it for lunch maybe some of that instead??

He's pretty good at keeping himself white, one of the joys of owning a self-cleaning breed :laugh: The dirt just dries up and falls out, and he will lick himself clean like a cat.

I use a whitening shampoo before shows to get him really sparkling, sometimes with a squirt or two of Bluo added in. My boy is indoors 24/7, which helps to avoid yellowing of the coat in the sun. When he starts spending more time outside I will use a spray-on sunscreen in his coat. Add a little Apple Cider Vinegar to your boys food each day, it may help with the stains on his legs (worked for my boy). A little trick I learnt from a fellow DOL'er (thanks AM :)).

Thanks guys for sharing I am going to pick up apple cider vinegar tomorrow :laugh: My pup gets off the makeshift grooming table and runs for the backyard where he'll find a damp spot lay down and look at me (I swear he laughs too).

Human shampoo I thought for some reason it was too harsh, might have been an old wives tail? A particular brand?

Bec

Yep a lot of old wives tales running around.

Most of us show people depending on the breed will shampoo weekly.

Some with coated breeds will shampooed twice a week.

Also depending on the breed some owners may oil there dogs.

Some may only oil feathering.

Sometimes when you get home home from a show that was on a real dirty ground you might start bathing again for the next days show.

Always use a GOOD quality shampoo and conditioner.

Shampoo's are made in most colours to suit the dog.

Same are made to soften and some are made to make the coat harsh.

If you wish to human hair shampoo's and conditioner again make sure it's a good one

NOT the plain label one.

Also dog shampoo's and conditioner's can be rather expensive but are worth their weight in gold when you get onto the right one.

Yep a lot of old wives tales running around.

Most of us show people depending on the breed will shampoo weekly.

Some with coated breeds will shampooed twice a week.

Also depending on the breed some owners may oil there dogs.

Some may only oil feathering.

Sometimes when you get home home from a show that was on a real dirty ground you might start bathing again for the next days show.

Always use a GOOD quality shampoo and conditioner.

Shampoo's are made in most colours to suit the dog.

Same are made to soften and some are made to make the coat harsh.

If you wish to human hair shampoo's and conditioner again make sure it's a good one

NOT the plain label one.

Also dog shampoo's and conditioner's can be rather expensive but are worth their weight in gold when you get onto the right one.

Well I have the fidos puppy, some plush puppy and a dazzel dog :laugh::) I do wish they would do sample sizes though so you could have a wash or two to test first. Toby akready has more hair products than me and more brushes too :laugh:

Yes, they get fish oil and vit E in their diets with extra fish oil when undergoing a coat change to help grow healthy coat.

I use plush puppy products mostly and use a rinse with the seabreeze oil after shampooing. I find it helps replace some of the oils, protects the coat and reduces staining. This has to be my favourite product.

Edited by espinay2

I recommend Lhasa Apsos in show coat be bathed twice a week. I use human shampoo & conditioner on them a lot, depending on the dogs coat type.

I would only use an oil in the diet on a dog with a dry coat. I have a bitch here with an oily coat, and I tried her on an oil. Well she would go less than a week before her coat was an oily rag.

We found if we used a conditioner it would help alot especially as we were using a strong shampoo for white coats.

An oil with all 3 Omegas in it i.e. 3, 6 & 9 is ideal if you don't feel your dog is getting enough from its' diet.

and use a rinse with the seabreeze oil after shampooing. I find it helps replace some of the oils, protects the coat and reduces staining. This has to be my favourite product.

I also use Seabreeze Oil as a leave in conditioner between baths. My dogs are bathed regularly and I don't use any supplements, but their coats are lovely.

Has anyone tried Dazzle Dog? My orange roan Cocker has some staining on the feathering on her back legs which is difficult to remove (I'm guessing its urine stains). Thanks in advance.

Black/Brown mud is OK on white coats.

Red mud is bad bad bad.

For 2 day shows I, at a minimum, wash faces inbetween or simply rewash the entire dog. I don't suppliment their food at all, just make sure I use a really good conditioner to keep the hair hydrated.

On a white dog chewing is a no-no. Repeated licking of an area is a no-no. Blood, urine and saliva stain the coat. My dogs are not allowed to chew or scratch. If blood hits them anywhere it's straight under the tap.

I let them play and get muddy though ;)

Muddy -

HeidiDirt_0436.jpg

Heidi_0792.jpg

Clean -

HeidiKA_0120.jpg

Muddy -

BumBumDeck_0417.jpg

Clean -

BumBum_1015.jpg

theyre cracker photos :laugh: such lovely little lions :laugh:

I hadnt seen him chewing/ licking I am assuming thats what it is and watch him closely now. I thought maybe he was chewing from the reg bathing? I just got a plush puppy shampoo (a conditioning one) to use instead of the fidos for reg washing. Hopefully it works.

And yeah hes a boy! likes to jump off the grooming table outside for a run. We walk when its when and muddy but home for a clean up.

Do you guys bathe them the night before or morning of a show?

Edited to add.....I am never gonna get him to stand like that!!

Edited by angelsophie

theyre cracker photos :laugh: such lovely little lions :laugh:

I hadnt seen him chewing/ licking I am assuming thats what it is and watch him closely now. I thought maybe he was chewing from the reg bathing? I just got a plush puppy shampoo (a conditioning one) to use instead of the fidos for reg washing. Hopefully it works.

And yeah hes a boy! likes to jump off the grooming table outside for a run. We walk when its when and muddy but home for a clean up.

Do you guys bathe them the night before or morning of a show?

Edited to add.....I am never gonna get him to stand like that!!

Definately the day before - otherwise I'd have to start at 2am!!LOL

A lot depends on your breed, size, condition etc. Lappie coats are really easy to maintain and because they are a natural dog (no trimming) with a double coat (so you don't use a conditioner etc) they don't take much in terms of prep - except for drying out and boofing up - my boy in particular does take some time to dry out - even with the new whizz bang super duper dryer I've just bought!