Still Shedding Heaps After Visit To Groomer :(

Well Daisy went to the groomer today and has come home losing as much hair as when she went :laugh:

They said they used a furminator(???) on her but didn't get much hair out. I could see straight away she was still losing heaps of hair because as soon as I picked her up to give her a cuddle I was wearing a fair few white hairs. When I got her home I gave her half a dozen swipes of her rubber brush and there was hair falling out everywhere.

I did ask what brush I should use and they sold me a wire brush that seems to hurt her and didn't actually remove any hair lol.

So it's back to the drawing board *sigh*

I am a groomer. You never remove all of the loose hair. It is normal that you will touch her and get hair on you.

Being bathed, blown out and raked will loosen dead hair and it will fall out more over the next couple of days.

The brush you bought (don't know what type, maybe a slicker?) does NOT hurt, the dog just doesn't want you to do it or isn't used to it.

A slicker used every day will help remove the excess loose hair.

A good groomer should explain all this to you or give you written info like i do.

Edited by redarachnid

What breed? Will make a huge difference.

Slickers CAN hurt, try it on yourself. You have to know how to use them properly. I've seen dogs made to bleed with a slicker.

I come into contact with a slicker regularly on a daily basis for decades, in the course of my profession, so I know how they feel.

You would have to try pretty hard to cause bleeding with slicker. It's not impossible, but uncommon.

My dog doesn't like the slicker but I doubt it hurts him (or I wouldn't be using it on him.)

You do have to be fairly gentle with it though. It's better to take your time using it and gently work through the coat.

That's in my experience anyway, but I'm not a groomer :laugh:

The groomer didn't explain anything at all, just seemed apologetic that they didn't get out much hair from her.

I had to ask what to brush her with in the future and even then she didn't really seem too sure because they don't use normal brushes to 'dehair', they use the furminator one (if that makes sense).

redarachnid - its not just that when we touch her we get a bit of hair on us, it's that we (and everything else) get covered in hair! I can't believe so much hair can come from one little dog that isn't really that hairy to begin with :)

Hopefully the shedding will settle down in a day or two because it is now starting to send me up the wall too.

:eat:

The groomer didn't explain anything at all, just seemed apologetic that they didn't get out much hair from her.

I had to ask what to brush her with in the future and even then she didn't really seem too sure because they don't use normal brushes to 'dehair', they use the furminator one (if that makes sense).

redarachnid - its not just that when we touch her we get a bit of hair on us, it's that we (and everything else) get covered in hair! I can't believe so much hair can come from one little dog that isn't really that hairy to begin with :)

Hopefully the shedding will settle down in a day or two because it is now starting to send me up the wall too.

:eat:

Sounds like it wasn't too good a job!!

BUT... I do have a Pug I groom that has exactly the same amount (mountains) of hair falling off him when he comes in AND when he goes out. Some dogs are just like that. I could groom him til he was bald and he would still drop hair.

Edited by redarachnid

Looking at other post by the Op its a mixture of cav/malt/pom.

As a groomer you will never stop the shedding fully but you can minimize it.

We normally tell our clients that the dog may shed more in the next month & to make a effort to brush daily .

The reason being we have removed buckets load of hair & stimulated the rest of the coat to start shedding.

Even if the groomer has removed alot there is only so much you can do in one hit without irritating the dogs skin.

BUT... I do have a Pug I groom that has exactly the same amount (mountains) of hair falling off him when he comes in AND when he goes out. Some dogs are just like that. I could groom him til he was bald and he would still drop hair.

redarachnid I am starting to think she may be like this lol.

Yes settrlvr she is the cav x maltese/pom. She has a medium-ish length coat (although as crazy as it sounds I swear it is shorter than before the groomers) with long hair on her tail and short hair on her head and tummy. It is 'normal' straight hair too and isn't very thick either.

Sounds terribly ugly I know but it works for her :)

I have to say I am not upset by the job the groomer did, I had just hoped to see an improvement. Hopefully it has loosened the hair so that I can brush a lot of it out over the next few days and it might ease off a bit then. Fingers crossed anyway :eat:

whenever we bath Asher and Nooki the hair that sheds is 10 times worse after the bath and for the next 2 days.

we use a furminator (awesome brush) a slicker (good) and a comb.

we still have hair all over the place.

come round and visit me....... you'll never worry about your dogs hair again!!! :)

mpslv,

Try over the next week or so, bathing her in warm water. You don't need soap. But the warm water will help bring the coat out as well.

After I bath my dogs, I get hair all over the place. particularly when they are doing their normal malting of coat. I can bring buckets and buckets out for a couple of weeks.

I have a pin brush that I mainly use. I do have one of the rip off versions of a MARS coat king. I tend though to only use that when I really need to. I have a slicker brush at home, but don't find it all that effective. I have found a good pin brush works much better

I have my cavs groomed fairly regularly and they still massively, even when they get home straight after. It's the breed. I also use a furminator and that takes out heaps of hair but if there is any cav in your dog, you have to accept that it will malt. The only way to cut down on the malting is to have the dog shaved / clipped really really short, which I don't do.

cav,

I know with borders and other dogs, shaving only gets the coat to grow back thicker, coarser and more wiry. I will never recommend shaving unless for a medical reason or if I REALLY have to due to paralysis tick season and an extremely thick coat. I have not done it yet and hope never to have to.

The same with cavs?

I have a Cavalier with a very heavy coat. She went to the groomers the other day( and she looked beautiful when I picked her up) and she said she'd used a Furminator but not much fur had come out.

A couple of days laetr I used a Mars Coat King and got out 1/2 a shopping bag full of fur and there is still more to come :)

they sure are PF my mums you just pluck out this little tufts of undercoat *sigh*

I dont know why a slicker was given unless the dog has very thin hair those things dont remove a lot of dead coat at all. As for shedding more after a groom i havnt seen that in my dogs I must admit when I groomed i blasted the dead coat out with the dryer, raked out what the dryer could not pick up and the shedding was minimal after even with the Malinois.

Edited by Nekhbet

they sure are PF my mums you just pluck out this little tufts of undercoat *sigh*

I can safely say that I'll never own a double coated breed. I find Whippet hair enough to deal with after poodles. :)

mplsv, how old is your girl? Has she been recently desexed?

Edited by poodlefan