Feeding Rabbit

Ok Boof really enjoys his bones, and normally gets some sort of RMB most days.

In the freezer at the moment I have Kangaroo back bones and wing dings, beef brisket bones, chicken frames, and turkey necks, I like to mix things up for him so he doesnt have the same things each day.

The other day DP and I were talking about finding places to go shooting (he used to go shooting quite often when he was younger, of course on private property with owners permission, and only targeting pest animals, usually rabbits and foxes) and getting some rabbits, and how his parents always liked the rabbits he would bring home compared to the rabbits his Grandfather would catch in traps (years ago before it was illegal) mostly probably due to the fact that the shot rabbits were killed instantly and the meat was not as stressed as those trapped, and also due to them being skinned and gutted almost straight away.

Anyway the conversation went on and we were talking about Boof, and when he gets bigger about going out and shooting a roo for him, a) because it is likely to be fressher than what we buy and b) to cut down food costs, I had also thought about giving him rabbit, but DP was a bit iffy about that, he is worried because they apparently have really sharp bones.

Who feeds whole rabbits to their dogs, particularly large dogs, and do you have any problems with them?

Vanessa

We ferret so we get whole rabbits and the doggies eat them :thumbsup: skin, head and all especially the older males we dont eat ourselves.

I do gut them and check the organs first to make sure there are no lesions or worms. I also never feed rabbits that have swellings or infected sites (or I chop the bunny in half if its a buckshot wound)

the dogs adore them! We do bleed our rabbits out straight away though so they wont stink

I feed whole furry rabbits, gutted, checked for good health and shot pellets, and frozen for 3 or 4 weeks. The dogs and ferrets love them! The bones are cushioned by the flesh and fur, so aren't a problem at all.

Darcy gets rabbit occasionally and she loves them!! She would like them a lot more but at $5.50 each from the pet food shop she doesn't get as many as she would like. :rofl: These are gutted and skun.

Edited by Jess.

Thank god Bailey hasn't tried rabbit. If he had he'd probably be eating my pet bunnies Edward and Jasper right at this minute :) However he does love eating rabbit food... strange dog...

but sorry I have no idea if feeding full rabbit is good or not.

I had to have a little giggle at this as I breed and show rabbits. :)

So mine have never tried rabbit - no help here.

Me too, rexiam. I came into this thread thinking it was someone asking for advice on how to feed their pet rabbit. :p I was wondering why it wasn't in off topic. :)

My dog doesn't eat rabbit either as the 4 adult rabbits and six kittens we have at home wouldn't appreciate it. :eek:

"What's a wok?"

:)

A wok is something you throw at a wabbit, when your wifle doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but Elfin started it :)

Seriously though, our dogs LOVE rabbit & cause we live on abit of land, OH does shoot bunny for the dogs. In fact,when OH comes out of the spare room with the rifle over his arm, the dogs get VERY excited, cause bunny will be on the menu soon.

Like Nekhbet, we also gut the bunny in case of lesions or other nasties (blah)

Can't afford rabbit here...I was quoted "about $40" for a whole rabbit, skinned and dressed. Obvioulsy for human consumption, but so were the ones I bought in Melbourne for about $4 or $5 each. Darwin's just ridiculous for buying the less usual types of meat...don't even ask about goat prices! :laugh:

I know several people who feed whole gutted raw rabbit and would love to be able to get them at an affordable price.

One other important point about feeding rabbit is that there is nothing like cooked, boned rabbit for dogs that are sick and off their food. If a dog refuses cooked rabbit it is usually at death's door. Even the fussiest of dogs who are really bad eaters will happily eat cooked rabbit. It also makes the ultimate bait when training a dog to do something difficult.