Wish Us Luck!

i think you hit a bad run there, LucyCharzie! We competed in our first CCD trial last weekend, and everyone was very supportive. I was the only one competing with a smaller dog, and several people said how nice it was to see a different breed competing. I hope you stick with it - they really surprise you sometimes!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'll tell you my 'nasty' story to make you feel better. This was my first comp. Stays had finished and my dog had completed them. A woman came up and said 'Congrats, I was hoping that your dog would move in the stays'. Charming! I had won the ring, beating her and didn't even know as I hadn't looked at my heel score.

If you feel that your dog is 110% ready for the October comp then do it. I have some issues with my girl which is why I am still proofing her. She would have reacted to a golden rolling over next to her though. Which is why I am not trialling her at the moment. It would give me a heart attack if that happened in my first trial!

Well Trialling is definately a no no for us for a while :rofl:

Charlotte has severely strained both Cruciates and is on VERY strict rest this means No Jumping, running or walking for 4 weeks and is on Rimadyl for 10 days. The vet has said it will be VERY easy for either if not both to tear so hopefully we can prevent that by not doing anything which may cause further injury. crossing fingers it gets better soon.

Of all times to happen it happens now right when i am excited about working towards the next trial.

We sucked and failed both trials!

I did get good tips and suggestions from both judges and another competitor who helped out too with tips. I was a nervous wreck when I went in the ring was more confident the second time, so I know what i need to do next time. There was someone who was a real nasty piece of work i can see why some are turned off trialling but i told her if she has nothing nice to say to me about my dog dont speak at all. Didnt turn me off :thumbsup:

On the upside i met a lady who has her litter sister and nice to know it is such a small world!

That's such a shame that you met someone who was rude at your first trial. I know most people at trials are very supportive and helpful and can't understand why people have to be mean. Although sometimes people can be discouraging without meaning to, I know someone who started trialling this year and was told by many people at her club that she should expect to fail her first trial and that she shouldn't worry too much about trying to quallies for her first couple of trials. These people were trying to be nice to her and didn't really think about how it might make her feel when she clearly had a good working dog. Take everything you get told in obedience with a grain of salt - listen, take it on board and then decide for yourself what you want to believe and what you don't need to worry about!

You will find alot of people in trialling though that will blame everything and anything for why their dog blew this or that. I hear it at virtually every trial and it always amuses me, because 95% of the time the reason a dog stuffs up is because of our lack or training/proofing or our poor handling, very rarely is it the fault of another dog or some external reason!

Good on you for giving it a go and stick with it! I hope she heals soon for you!

I know why my dogs fail at the trials, yep the DH on the end of the lead but I'm working on it. At the moment I'm trying to proof Pebbles in the stand for exam, especially with male judges, we live out of town & walking up & asking a strange man "can you pat my dog :grouphug:", could get me into trouble, like I said I'm working on it.

The nasty person told me that I should have slapped her around before going in the ring so she'd listen to me

Slap her round to make her listen?????

No one slaps beautiful gentle Charlotte around :grouphug:

Maybe LucyCharize should have said well hold still for a minute whilst I practice on you! - Some people defy logic!

Yep my dog is really going to work after I have beaten it around - not - poor Rommi would just die!

The nasty person told me that I should have slapped her around before going in the ring so she'd listen to me

Slap her round to make her listen?????

No one slaps beautiful gentle Charlotte around :laugh:

I know! I mean you've met the beautiful gentle Charlotte and is she a naughty dog? nope. I rarely even have to say the word no to her. She just wants nothing more than to be a good girl and well loved she just wants to please.

I have never lay a finger on my dogs, it achieves nothing but to make the dog afraid of you. What dog would be happy in that situation!

Rommimum: Maybe i should have said that to the woman! I dont believe in any physical punishment like that.

Please don't be put off trialling by this horrible person, LucyCharzie :)

People sometimes forget that we all started out as a begginer at some stage. I have only been in the trialling ring for 2 years now and I have meet some horrible people in that time. But for every horrible person there are 20 more great people offering you advise and support.

I am still a nervous wreck everytime I enter the ring but I just remind myself to smile, what is the very worse that can happen?? We can only fail, the world wont end because of it!!!

Just keep up the training and it will all come together for you. :(

People that scare their dogs into working for them are not trainers at all. You and your dog should work at as a team and I always find kindness is a better way to get that result.

Hope to see your entry for Werribee!!!

:(

Edited by RachelleBuck

Hi LucyCharzie

I live close, and can help you polish up your dog for trialling when she gets better if you like.

I still havn't got around to debuting my youngster yet, but plan to soon. I really have been busy this year, and are looking forward to getting back to the trialling scene again.