Protective But Not Aggressive Breeds

Shakti

Can a dog be declared dangerous if it was protecting you from an attacker who was attempting to cause great harm to you?

The laws vary in each state. Provocation when the dog reacts to it's owner being attacked is generally acceptable.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks everyone. no I am not rehoming my boy - he is very loved and a great dog. I am not sure about purchasing another dog or not - really just wanted some informed opinions as to what might be good.

My dog is from working lines but was assessed by the Police Force three years ago and although he flew through the early assessment process was returned with the comment *Too nice of a dog* which I think is a very polite way of saying *What a wuss!*

Perhaps if I can work with a trainer who can teach him the *happy bark* as Cosmolo suggested - that would be useful - I am sure that if he had stood his ground or looked excited even coupled with a bark that this guy would have backed off.

It was a really upsetting experience and thank you all for your advice.

ETA Steve - I had originally thought about a Maremma but wasn't sure if one would be happy as an inside dog? I am at home full-time so leaving it alone wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Brooke

Thanks everyone. no I am not rehoming my boy - he is very loved and a great dog. I am not sure about purchasing another dog or not - really just wanted some informed opinions as to what might be good.

My dog is from working lines but was assessed by the Police Force three years ago and although he flew through the early assessment process was returned with the comment *Too nice of a dog* which I think is a very polite way of saying *What a wuss!*

Perhaps if I can work with a trainer who can teach him the *happy bark* as Cosmolo suggested - that would be useful - I am sure that if he had stood his ground or looked excited even coupled with a bark that this guy would have backed off.

ETA Steve - I had originally thought about a Maremma but wasn't sure if one would be happy as an inside dog? I am at home full-time so leaving it alone wouldn't be an issue.

The beauty of a GSD is that a would be offender can never be totally confident that the dog hasn't been protection trained given their reputation and success in that line of work. If the dog was trained to bark on command with some leash agitation to razz him up a bit, a threat will back away especially if you theaten to release the dog if they fail to move on will generally prevent the situation you experienced.

Blueys are very protective and are quite likely to be intimidating.

True, at least in my experience of owning Jessie this has been the case...she is cautious of strangers, very protective of her favourite family member and is very vocal.

But then I don't think we know enough about your situation to say if you'd be up to the challenge of owning a cattle dog.

Edited by fainty_girl

In My Opinion no one breed is going to save you.

My old dog trainer use to help out the Vic Police with Dog Training.

Out of about 50 dogs ( sheps and rotts ) only 4 or 5 would cut the mustard.

The rest would attack the owners when in trouble.( Fear )

They had no idea but were on our streets protecting us. lol

So don't rely on a breed to protect you.

If you feel the need to be protected by a dog, choose the a dog and have it trained correctly by the correct trainer.

Just my opinion.

Ash..

Guest rhapsodical78

There are never any guarantees, but there are breeds you can choose to maximise the likelihood of protection.

Mastiffs (neo, bullmastiff, Boerboeletc, etc), LGDs, GSDs, Rotties, Dobermans, Shar Pei, Chow Chows, American Bulldogs, Malinois, Akitas and Australian Cattle Dogs are all breeds reputed to have protective instincts.

However, it's important both to find the right breeder and for the right breeder to supply the right dog. You're better off going with working-line Shepherds than show-line and it's important to understand the different requirements of a dog who with a strong guarding instinct. Working-line Shepherds also tend to have a lot of drive and therefore take a higher level of commitment.

If you want something unique why not look into the Spanish Mastiff? I understand they have been recently imported into Australia.

Keep us updated if you decide to get a second dog!

I had a Rotty as my first dog he was never trained in anything other than obedience yet he was extremely protective he would stand between me and anybody who would approach. I never forget when a man approached me in a park my boy stood quietly infront until the man got too close he let out an almighty growl and stared at the man until he backed off. The man meant no harm thankfully he just got too close. I have mini bullys now and they would think anyone was in for a game, could never rely on them for protection :worship:

My GSD would have taken the guy's arm off before he raised it,

Brilliant. Then been possibly put down for being a dangerous dog. Nice going Rex.... Ever stopped to think that if your big tough attack dog actually did bite someone then its good bye dog? Before you add your comments about how he is "trained" and "if its on your property, its not the dogs fault if it attacks" Take a long hard look at some of the recent dog stories in the news. If some small child wanders near your dog or sticks its hands through a fence to reach your dog and it "defends its territory" I doubt people will say "oh leave the dog be, tis defending its territory" Odds on your dog would be destroyed.

especially if you threaten to release the dog if they fail to move on
thank you Mr Burns. "Smithers, release the hounds!"

Guest rhapsodical78
My GSD would have taken the guy's arm off before he raised it,

Brilliant. Then been possibly put down for being a dangerous dog. Nice going Rex.... Ever stopped to think that if your big tough attack dog actually did bite someone then its good bye dog? Before you add your comments about how he is "trained" and "if its on your property, its not the dogs fault if it attacks" Take a long hard look at some of the recent dog stories in the news. If some small child wanders near your dog or sticks its hands through a fence to reach your dog and it "defends its territory" I doubt people will say "oh leave the dog be, tis defending its territory" Odds on your dog would be destroyed.

especially if you threaten to release the dog if they fail to move on
thank you Mr Burns. "Smithers, release the hounds!"

This has been discussed a thousand times. Protection of owner is generally an acceptable defence.

Half the dog population wouldn't take kindly to some random sticking their hand through the fence.

What sort of dogs do you have?

I think 3 out of 4 of my shar pei would naturally defend if I or they were threatened. Of course it all comes down to each dog's individual temperament. My male definately would so I have him very well trained and always keep a wary eye on his body language. They do tend to give warning barks/growls first in my experience. My boy is not aggressive, but is wary of stangers until he knows he is not under threat.

Most cattle dogs I've met would also defend if they felt the need. Both these breeds are medium sized, loyal and can be well trained.

Edited by badboyz

I can understand what you want but do you want to own 2 large dogs.will you leave current dog home when you walk ?presuming the next dog does more??

Or will you walk both & then control one that doesnt react & one that will.

I think showdog raises a really good point here.

Your other dog will still need to be walked - will you do this with another dog (which will be more protective and how will you control both if there is an incident), walk your current dog on its own (still have the same problem you have now if you get worried something may happen) or not walk your other dog.

Brooke,I have to agree with Rex"s post on the first page. People especially nowdays can fall into the trap of assuming that because their dog is a certain breed, it will automatically defend or project.

There are many weak nerved dogs around nowdays. I very much doubt this dog has the goods to be trained to protect. I have to second the thought of seeking out working lines. Tony

Most bull terriers i have known wouldnt do a thing.
The amstaffs i know would do nothing.

I didn;t suggest them because of their "image" I have owned both of these breeds before (male and a female) and while still being very friendly happy go lucky dogs towards people they were both VERY protective of me, especially if I was to be walking alone at night time. If I was to be approached by a dodgy looking stranger it's like something would switch on and their protective instinct would kick in.

Most of the Bullys and Amsaffs I have known have been exactly the same with their owners :worship:

Brooke,I have to agree with Rex"s post on the first page. People especially nowdays can fall into the trap of assuming that because their dog is a certain breed, it will automatically defend or project.

There are many weak nerved dogs around nowdays. I very much doubt this dog has the goods to be trained to protect. I have to second the thought of seeking out working lines. Tony

:worship:

this is ridiculous.

1) you relied on an untrained dog to 'protect' you. Why should the dog put itself at risk at all? It goes against most natural instincts

2) if you want a guarenteed dog that will protect you have to buy a trained personal protection dog.

3) I wouldnt be owning a dog that took it upon itself to decide when to behave in a menacing/dangerous manner

I dont know why people make 'suggestions' there is no guarentee unless the dog is trained.

Most breeds these days can't even fathom having enough natural instinct to do what they were originally trained to do so dont bother listening to 'oh get this breed/that breed etc'.

I have a mature german shepherd, who minds his own business. He allows people to approach him and pat him provided they don't make sudden "violent" movements. Once a man came up to me and talked and my dog was ok, then suddenly he rushed towards me wanting to shake my hand (not gently but very energetically). My dog suddenly stiffened up and growled, as he perceived his behaviour as agressive.

Whenever I walk my dog (he is only 40kg, not much for a GSD) people look at him with respect

but some are visibly scarred. I would not be afraid to walk with him even at night if there were "normal" people around, as GSD have a reputation of bein protective + their size and deep bark.

However I would be scarred around drunks and people with mental problems, as they simply don't reason the same way as sober people; often their inhibitions are down. I think letting your dog run perhaps was not a good idea; I have heard that when you stop with your dog, the dog automatically makes the space his territory(with you in it) an defends it .

:rofl: Yes exactly the only way you can be 100% sure your dog will stand tall in this situation is to go and get yourself a personal protection dog. They come to you as an adult already trained but you have to continue the training (or pay some one to help you) and you need to have a good understanding of dog behaviour or as people said you could be liable for damages.

However you have a intelligent breed who most likely has just never been in that situation before and the "flight" took over from "fight". Normal - for amy breed. When you get your next dog make sure you socailise it with as much as possible like loud noises, people yelling ect. Its not a garantee but it will cut down the chance the dog will just outright freak and do a runner :) In the mean time I think teaching your dog to ignore yelling and throwing of arms and bark on command is a good one :worship: