A Little Brag For Daisy

huski

It's probably only exciting to me, but I can't help but share this as I'm so proud of my little beag.

Daisy managed to get out the front door this morning and ran straight down the driveway and out onto the open street. She instantly got onto a scent and was madly scenting up and down the front lawn, dangerously close to the road. I was so scared she was going to run onto the road and get hit by a car.

Only two weeks ago I introduced a new command word for the recall for when we are doing drive training. Daisy has always been reliable with recalls when we do them for training, but being a beagle, as soon as she's on a scent her hearing is all but turned off.

So today when she got out into the street and picked up a scent I was so worried about catching her, I ran out after her and called out 'here!' (which is the recall command I use for TID). Daisy stopped scenting, span around and ran at full pelt back towards me, sitting nicely in front of me :thumbsup: I was so proud of her and relieved that I almost cried :rolleyes: I don't think she's ever recalled off a scent so quickly before, ever.

I know it's not a big brag and that we are far from a 100% reliable recall but I just had to share, God knows what could have happened if I couldn't have recalled her so quickly.

That is great, well done to you and Daisy!!

I think Millie must be part Beagle :o She's hard of hearing when her nose hits the ground! :o

Well normally when Daisy starts scenting her hearing is all but switched off - thank Goodness yesterday she decided it was more exciting to come when I called her than it was to keep scenting on the road - and that I was able to get through that hearing 'block'.

Edited by huski

Well done!!! It's a great feeling when you use your drive work outside of training and it works! I remember the first time I did this same thing with Ella. She was in the front yard and the postie came down the street and she took off after him. I yelled out "komm" (her drive command) and she hit the brakes and came bolting back to me! I was soo thrilled, so I know exactly how you feel! :o

Thanks everyone :( I was just so proud of her :o ;)

Well done!!! It's a great feeling when you use your drive work outside of training and it works! I remember the first time I did this same thing with Ella. She was in the front yard and the postie came down the street and she took off after him. I yelled out "komm" (her drive command) and she hit the brakes and came bolting back to me! I was soo thrilled, so I know exactly how you feel! :o

That's exactly it! I don't care if we aren't 100% reliable yet, she did it when she needed to the most. And we only introduced the recall into our drive work a couple of weeks ago :)

Edited by huski

I DISAGREE about this being a small brag. I've lived with a Beagle :cheer:

PMSL! Sometimes the small achievements are so rewarding when you live with the Evil Beagle :eek:

Like tonight - Daisy is normally very naughty when we pack the dishwasher, she just wants to stick her head in and lick everything clean :eek: But tonight I put her in a sit/stay while I packed it and she stayed completely still and was a very good girl :) I was so chuffed :cry:

Congratulations Huski - that's awesome :eek:

Thanks TSD :cheer::laugh:

K9: Good work Huski, I dont doubt, your vids of Daisy training have improved so much, your really going well!!!

Good work.

Woooo woooo wooooo lol.

Look forward to hearing that wooo wooo wooo all day at the Friday workshop :laugh::mad