The Best Thing I Heard At The Royal Was...

Elfin

We really confused the general public... we had a Lakeland right next to us, and had her out on a lead or sitting on my lap while I sat next to my Irish Terrier... Everyone was SURE she was a baby one of "those".

The Aussie Shepherds were Coolies all day. :) Everyone knows what a Coolie is, but no one seemed to know what an Aussie was? Really confused them when we told them the breed actually originated in the US!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gee, sounds like I'm in for funny times!

This year will be the 1st time a White Swiss Shepherd Dog has been exhibited at Sydney Royal, wonder what comments we'll get :)

From my vivid imagination........and knowing how full of knowledge some joe public are.... :thumbsup:

* oh look...Samoyeds now come in SHORT COAT !!

* Yes...they are the albino shepherds !

* Yep, shepherds turn white when they live in the alps !

And no matter HOW BIG your breed banner is........you will still have people insisting it's their version !!!

fifi

Or claiming they used to own/breed them so know more about them than you

hehehe, I find every 2nd Irishman used to own or know a wolfhound - and it was TWICE as big as those being exhibited !!!

They usually tell you the dogs back came up to their chest & exclaim......."he was at least 'dis hoi" !!!

fifi

You all have fun with the ignorance of the general public, but some breeders are not approachable at all - thus leading to the public's ignorance.

When I had ordered by stafford and took the kids to a dog show there was staffords in the ring and I said to the kids - that is what Tedde is going to look like when he grows up. The breeder said 'Unless you are buying one of his dogs, they will not look like him at all'. All I was trying to do was show the kids what our dog would grow into.

I plan to go and have a look at the Staffords in Canberra this year, but it will be the first time back after 5 years (to watch) and I used to go to watch dog shows all the time.

Perhaps (and it appears so) I just ran into the wrong breeder, but all I wanted was some information and to have a look at how great my breed can be.

:thumbsup: Was told by a Joe Public that our Aussies looked just like the Lapphunds they had just looked at!!!!! Mmmm, I don't think so, about the only thing I could see in common was that Mirrawee's dogs had eyebrow markings like our black tri Aussies did, beyond that and the fact they are both dogs who knows. :) Also with the Aussies you would get "What cross are they besides Border?" No convincing some people that they are a totally different breed. Oh and then there are the ones that think that they are related to German Shepherds because they have the name Shepherd.

Also when I showed a Shiba Inu I lost count of the number of people who asked if they were foxes or fox crosses or Dingo or Dingo crosses. On explaining that the shows are for purebred dogs anad explaining abit about the breed you still got, "Yes, but what are they crossed with". :laugh:

Perhaps (and it appears so) I just ran into the wrong breeder, but all I wanted was some information and to have a look at how great my breed can be.

It happens - I approached two breeders at shows when I was looking for my next dog, I picked my time so they weren't getting ready for the ring, I was very polite - and they were both incredibly rude. I had a friend with me the second time and she was so horrified she told me I should avoid that breed if the breeders were all like that! :) I didn't, I went interstate instead. I have since beaten both in the ring and smile to myself each time....

Someone thought my Shiba Inu was a Subaru Emu !!!

Reminds me of the story a friend told me about a little boy who came over to play with their Weimarana and then went home and told his parents he had been looking after their Marriwhanna*(excuse the spelling) Must have raised a few eyebrows.

My nan's Min Pin "Can I pat your Rottweiler" - yes he was very serious.. lol

Our pointers always get "gee you dalmatian doesnt have many spots?"

But my favourite this year was for my mothers chinese crested... "oohh i dont think i can touch that... it probably feels like a shavved nut sack..."

gotta love the royals LOL :):thumbsup:

Geez, I just spat my drink out all over the computer, THAT has to be the best comment yet. I'll like to know if they have actually experienced the feel of a shaved nut sack. :) Don't think I would have been able to keep a straight face if someone said that in my earshot.

Now I better clean up my computer, thanks for the best laugh. :laugh: :D

you should try and have a rare breed like a Black Russian

she went to her first Sydney Royal last year, and and after a couple of hours trying to

explain that she wasnt a BLACK LABRADOODLE :) and the amount of people trying to tell me they had

a labradoodle just like her at home !! :laugh:

and they reckon that they will be showing it soon too !!

i ended up throwing a cover over her and lying back in a chair, pretending to be alseep, quietly grinding my teeth listening to the expert opinions and comments

the worst comment I have ever had was from two different show people and one is a long time breeder of toy poodles,

one asked me why did a bring a designer dog to a pedigree dog show (she was sitting with my BC's in my cabana) I thought she was joking but she was deadly serious :thumbsup:

and the other tried to tell me that black Russians were 50% standard poodle, when I tried to explain to both these people the breed history, they both got very annoyed and that I hadnt been around long enough to know anything

they were right and I was wrong...... :D :)

Slushie, we are just relating some funny experiences, not the public in general.

Many exhibitors have spent the long hours at Royals, politley fielding questions from literally hundreds of wonderful, curious, interested and lovely passers by, but like anything in life - you have to relate the funny one's that stay with you !!

(and I personally love the off kilter one's, have to laugh or you'd go a bit bonkers !)

fifi

efs

Edited by fifi

You all have fun with the ignorance of the general public, but some breeders are not approachable at all - thus leading to the public's ignorance.

When I had ordered by stafford and took the kids to a dog show there was staffords in the ring and I said to the kids - that is what Tedde is going to look like when he grows up. The breeder said 'Unless you are buying one of his dogs, they will not look like him at all'. All I was trying to do was show the kids what our dog would grow into.

I plan to go and have a look at the Staffords in Canberra this year, but it will be the first time back after 5 years (to watch) and I used to go to watch dog shows all the time.

This is a pity :) Honestly, most exhibitors aren't like this.

As Fifi said- we are just having a bit of fun. Us exhibitors are usually there from 7am and not allowed to leave the pavillion until 5pm. Yep, we choose to enter, knowing full well what kind of comments we will get but we gotta blow off steam somehow and isn't it better to bitch on a forum than get shirty with people? I know I usually nod and smile at the ignorant people- never get nasty or snappy. The MAJORITY of the public are great in my experience and interested in the breeds etc.

Ozjen- at least your dogs resemble Border Collies!! I get people telling me my dog (Border Terrier) has NO Border Collie in it anywhere and I've been ripped off :) or they say "Yeah, I can see the terrier but no Border Collie??" or "I thought they only came in black and white and were fluffy?" :D

At the Royal in 2008 I had Ziva entered in the Puppy of the Year. While we were waiting for our class, a lady was chatting away and asked if she was a Bichon Frise :) it was a pure brain fart and as soon as she asked she realised how wrong she was so wwe all had a big laugh about it but it was funny. Later on the lady came past us at the benches and said goodbye to the Bichon :grouphug: made my day :)

Oh gee, sounds like I'm in for funny times!

This year will be the 1st time a White Swiss Shepherd Dog has been exhibited at Sydney Royal, wonder what comments we'll get :(

From my vivid imagination........and knowing how full of knowledge some joe public are.... :cry:

* oh look...Samoyeds now come in SHORT COAT !!

* Yes...they are the albino shepherds !

* Yep, shepherds turn white when they live in the alps !

And no matter HOW BIG your breed banner is........you will still have people insisting it's their version !!!

fifi

:laugh: Gee, looking forward to the Royal now hahahah.. I'm also expecting 'oh look it's a white husky'

A kid asked his mum in Hillsborough the other week, why the 'Baby Maremma' was in a different class. Was funny seeing the Maremma though, he was looking as my pup excitedly like he was one of their own! :cry: Must have been happy to see another big white dog down at the Working ring :laugh:

Oh good now we have three sizes.

Toy,Mini and now Standard short coat :cry:

:wave:

Hahahaha, too funny!!!

2 good ones from Adelaide Royal ...

Dad pushing pram with 2 little ones walking, one little one says "dad what are those dogs" and dad replies "they are Daykeynes son". The benching sign with the prefix on it told him so :cry:

Second one was a little boy asking what breed to which we replied Leonbergers. The mumma came walking along and as she got near the little fellow yells at the top of his voice "mum mum come over here and see the Chicken Burgers".... :(

Priceless

At our Launceston Royal the public were soooooooooooo funny.

The Curly Coat was a Labradoodle and they were all blown away by the fact you can now actually show them :cry:

The best one at the Royal in 2009 was this little gem:

Gundogs in the ring. Peoples day and its packed. I am there standing watching when Mr J Public stops and looks with a huge group of mates and girlfriends. Weimaraners in the ring. Mr Public proceeeds to open his mouth with several swear words and tells his mates his parents used to breed these and they are GREYHOUNDS CROSSED WITH GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTERS.

With all his knowledge he then went on to explain that they use the GREYhounds to get that lovely GREY colour and the use the pointers so they hunt better and they dock the tails so they do not look like greyhounds. I was gobsmacked and I turned around to Mr So-much-knowledge and asked if he was for real and he then proceeds to tell me that yes he was right as his parent and bred and SHOWN them for 20 years.

At our Launceston Royal the public were soooooooooooo funny.

The Curly Coat was a Labradoodle and they were all blown away by the fact you can now actually show them :rofl:

The best one at the Royal in 2009 was this little gem:

Gundogs in the ring. Peoples day and its packed. I am there standing watching when Mr J Public stops and looks with a huge group of mates and girlfriends. Weimaraners in the ring. Mr Public proceeeds to open his mouth with several swear words and tells his mates his parents used to breed these and they are GREYHOUNDS CROSSED WITH GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTERS.

With all his knowledge he then went on to explain that they use the GREYhounds to get that lovely GREY colour and the use the pointers so they hunt better and they dock the tails so they do not look like greyhounds. I was gobsmacked and I turned around to Mr So-much-knowledge and asked if he was for real and he then proceeds to tell me that yes he was right as his parent and bred and SHOWN them for 20 years.

:rofl:

I think this must have been the kid that asked me this a billion times, all grown up but still lacking knowledge!!

I try not to get annoyed but it is hard sometimes when you have several people tell you that it's cruel when they see the OES... yes, because a fully brushed, happy CLEAN dog is unhappy with his lot in life...

Oh it's just terrible too, those poor dogs born without tails (natural bob tail Aussies)! :rofl: Oh and how terrible, you can't tell when they are happy! Anyone who has ever met an Aussie knows you know exactly when an Aussie is happy, the whole body tells you!

I dont show but we took our grandaughter to the Sydney Royal a couple of years ago and she saw her first Bedlington. Oh nanny look at the sheep, owner says no dear its a Bedlington Terrier. You can see her head ticking away and then she smiles and falls in love with this dog. Joe Public and family walk past and dad says looks like a sheep, grandaughter says 'For your information its not a sheep its a Bedridden Terror'

SSSooo many times we get.....

Oh look, an Irish wolfhound..........

The best was at a Royal...

4 teenagers walk past...

One says.... Hey, what are they?

His mate answers ( with complete conviction.... ) They are German Wolfhounds...

Also got asked at last years Royal....

Do you sedate them so they stay that calm ?

Boy and Brae were asleep in the same bench because they were bored......

Dave