Texas

Clicking Mad

I hang around here more often :)

my poor boy has been through a bit the past fortnight. He is 12.5 years old.

I had to take him to the vet for a re-script of his arthritis pain medication, as it had been 6mths since our last visit, and I knew the vets would want to do a check-up before re-filling the script ... so I gave him a bath/shower:

11th001.jpg

11th005.jpg

the vet noticed a lump in his abdomen and took some blood for testing that day

notice the white fur-line towards his back legs is quite straight rather than the usual tuck? almost down to his knees:

13th018.jpg

it was either liver or spleen

the blood revealed normal liver function so we ordered an x-ray

the morning of x-rays, keeping happy:

21st005.jpg

Monday just past, and the x-ray and ultrasound showed a large mass on his spleen, but no spread to his chest

the operation went ahead on Friday to remove the mass and his spleen

it was approximately 9cm wide and weighed in at 2.5kg! :rofl:

the evening before the operation:

24th014.jpg

and his shaved belly:

24th019.jpg

he stayed in over night on fluids

and I picked him up Saturday afternoon

pathology on what kind of mass was removed will be determined before the end of the next week

and stitches out in 10 days :)

the vets and vet nurses have been fantastic and I can't thank them enough for the effort they put in :(

Texas has been great through the whole process, didn't need sedation for the x-ray/ultrasounds and everyone at the clinic wanted to take him home, even with the barking the hour before I went to pick him up :( I hardly ever hear him bark

since he's been home he's been quite sore though, and the bucket on his head to stop him licking/biting at his stitches has me cringing everytime he walks into a doorway :)

as far as him showing signs before I took him to the vet, I've only really thought about them in retrospect

1. he was refusing to go for walks - which I put down to his arthritis

2. I noticed an enlarged belly - which I put down to not getting his walks - I just thought he was getting fat :D

3. his weight loss - I didn't really think anything of when the vet asked because I'd dropped his food because of the enlarged belly

but mostly he has been his usual happy self, no noticable change in water consumption or eliminations, bouncy when I got him excited, and especially around dinner time. I feel a little "OMG how did I miss a 2.5kg mass?" but with him behaving so normally, I'm not sure I would have done anything differently. I've seen him before really down and hot, refusing food and taken him to emergency and that turned out to be a nasty grass seed in his face - he hasn't behaved like that at all through this - it's so hard to see.

I did a lot of research into liver cancers, and then spleen cancers in dogs (with this link being very useful dol ) and it didn't make for very happy reading, but I just kept looking at Texas and he just hasn't showed any other signs that would indicate malignancy, so I'm expecting a positive result with the pathology.

My poor old boy is looking very scrawny at the moment though, and all I want to do is feed him up, but I have to do it slowly so he's getting a few small meals a day, he had a tummy tuck and lost 2.5kg in a day :laugh:

I'm hoping with that huge mass out of him that he'll be a lot more comfortable and keen to get out on walks again after he recovers fully, 'cause he's always enjoyed his walks!

I don't want to disturb him too much so haven't taken pics of his stitched belly, but here's his sad "bucket-head" face from last night:

26th104.jpg

26th101.jpg

:)

Poor Texas!!! He is a lovely handsome and very young looking dog...such bright clear eyes for a lad his age!!!

Gotta say though, those last few photos of his sad face made me tear up. Hope he starts feeling better soon!

Poor boy, it's good you got it out and that he hasn't shown alot of symptoms, meaning hopefully he hasn't been too uncomfortable with it. It's times like this I think too, aren't you glad you have a camera. So many of my animals have passed with almost no photos of them.

Heres hoping for a favorable report. I have an oldie at home (14yrs) who was intensive care 2 weeks after a pyometra last year. The vet said I was lucky to pick it up as the signs werent so obvious (I was vet nursing bf kids) I even had to convince the vet to surgery as the tox/bloods came up neg. Once in surgery it was 'one of the worst he'd seen for a while". In retrospect she had been slowing down for a few weeks pre diagnosis. Her daily activities were more labored- I put it down to age/cold weather, as she has several fused vertebrae. Now back from surgery she is living life to the max....she is the loudest barker in the house- after no bark in 14yrs we thought she was mute. Its so nice to say will someone tell Mimi to SHUT UP! Her mum made 18 so we hope she will stay strong. All the best for the results. Get well Texas!

thank you all for your well wishes, he's certainly getting a lion's share of hugs :)

redangel - glad you caught Mimi's problem and she's living life full again - it's so nice to read that :cry:

michael - thanks :D

Well, the vet rang this afternoon

the results are that it was a hematoma ... blood clot ... not a tumour at all! the best news possible!

the vet was very pleased, as am I obviously, but you know, I had a feeling it was going to be positive :laugh:

The first night after surgery was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, he cried every time he moved :eek: - and he's been following me around everywhere!

But, he was good last night and today he's let me go out of his sight for more than a minute or 2. And his stitches are looking better :rofl:

not sure what caused it, it's one of those things, it was coming off the spleen so it could have just started out as a small bleed that just kept going. Yup, removing it is curative so it's fantastic news :D

He's still looking a little sad in his bucket head, and walking into doorways doesn't seem as much painful as just annoying for him, he's so much better, happier and bouncy at dinner time again, he has a very funny bouncy dance at dinner time - I tried to keep him settled but it's good to see he's feeling better :rofl:

these were taken yesterday afternoon

hmm, if looks could kill

28th001.jpg

28th002.jpg

he looks more border collie with his ears all squashed

28th004.jpg

he's definitely feeling better :(

28th005.jpg

thanks everyone ;)

Hi I hope Texas is feeling a lot better now, I only just catching up on new about the place after being away, So glad it was not a tumour, you must have been so relieved. I bet the poor fella feels better with that big lump of blood gone!!

oh thanks again guys. He's back to his old self again for sure, no more walking into walls, me, or the other dogs, eating the bucket instead of his food 'cause he never quite figured out the bucket can go over his bowl rather than in it, and no more stitches!!

I took him to the park with Jamie straight from the vet

'scuse his old ground-down teeth but check out his smile :laugh:

3989030153_4d9ec14f80.jpg

and not really wanting to hang around for photos "want to go sniff NOW"

3989786566_e50e0be4c0.jpg

:clap: