Reaction Of Chinese People To My Dog

GSDowner

Yep - broad sweeping generalisation I think :dancingelephant:

I'm Chinese, we grew up in Malaysia, and my parents had a GSD X and other medium sized dogs...and we knew plenty of others who were dog savvy too.

Depends entirely on the individual and their upbringing and experience, whether it be Asia, Africa or here in Australia!

I've had plenty of caucasian Aussies shy away from my two hounds (who I wouldn't consider to be overly large dogs)....some people just haven't grown up with dogs around them, or are used to small breeds I guess. :champagne:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the opposite problem. A Chinese lady in the area bush walks a lot and comes back through the park, often bumping into me and the dogs.

She loves dogs and is not scared of them at all and often will find tennis balls (lost into the bush from the tennis courts nearby) and leave a pile at the park for the dog owners.

Whilst my Kelpie, Tim, likes her, my Staffy, Danni, doesn't and has rather an extreme reaction, barking loudly at her, which is unusual as she is always friendly with women in particular. :champagne:

This lady seems rather unaffected by the reaction too...and will come over to talk to me. Unfortunately she doesn't speak English and will chat away in Mandarin/Cantonese or whatever dialect she speaks, as if I understand her...but I don't understand a word of it. :champagne::champagne: It's not all that much fun, tightly holding the lead of a barking dog and nodding away politely as if I know what she is saying. I now try to avoid her, which is a shame because she loves patting Tim.

I find lots of people, black, white or asian scowl at my Staffy...or I get the opposite with young feral looking men quite interested. The classic reaction was a young mum asking me how on earth I could have a hard mouthed dog like a Staffy anywhere near my children. :dancingelephant:

I must say I have noticed this also...

It does upset me sometimes.. Ive had an asian lady walking past my house when I had the dog on lead inside the gates and she very obviously walked wide onto to tarmac past my place then back on to the footpath and my dog wasnt even near her????

I get terribly offended when things like that happen...

I know what you mean.

It upsets me because women are scared of spiders. Like when they see one they scream or walk wide onto a tarmac, then back onto the footpath.

It must be offensive to spider fanciers.

:dancingelephant: to darkabsalom for sharing her experiences.

My family is also from a similar migrant background. My mum was always apprehensive of dogs because she was bitten badly by one (note: an individual experience rather than a cultural one). But my dog-crazy sister and I persisted and we started off with a samoyed, Jasper, followed by labrador Brodie and Reuben (mastiff x ridgeback ex-pound hound). Thanks to Jasper my mum now loves the large active boofa types- I don't think she could ever live without one now.

We have two young families, Lebanese Muslim and African, renting next door and the attitudes of each individual are different. Our two are very effective guard dogs (a little too effective with their voices and Reuben has a very deep bark). Both the wives and the children are absolutely terrified of them and convinced that they are fierce and uncontrollable. We are very aware of this and always have our dogs on a leash if they are out in the front yard. The husbands don't seem to have a problem with them and are friendly with us but see the dogs less often than their family.

I understand the various reasons as to why the fearful ones have that attitude, however I really wish they could agree to meet our dogs (with the gate between them and the furkids firmly on leashes and behaving on their very best) even just once so that our dogs learn not to bark at them when they go to and fro from their houses. I'm not seeking anything else as our two are still young, boisterous and live in a kid-less house- and those kids are convinced the dogs are killers.

It is a problem which needs to be discussed and dealt with as they will be living next door for quite awhile and I don't know how to address it. I am worried that is why the kids never play in their front and backyards (compared to the African-Aussie toddlers who lived there before them, were always outside and adored Jasper).

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences in the art of persuasion and effective cross-cultural communication for this scenario? Should I write a letter/invitation and leave it with some cupcakes and muffins? Hire a sammie temporarily to join the crew as canine diplomat (there's no chance of my folks saying yes to a third musketeer/scallywag living at our house)? Boarding up the front gate will block their view but not stop their acute hearing. I am about to become a lawyer and I don't even know where to start!

Apologies for hijacking but my mum was quite distressed that one of the neighbours pointedly scowled and ignored her in the supermarket and I really want to improve the situation.

Here are my two 'killers' (sigh):

Why not invite them over for lunch?? Provided your dogs know how to behave, it can be a good experience.

Why not invite them over for lunch?? Provided your dogs know how to behave, it can be a good experience.

That's a great idea, though we're not fantastic cooks and our house is a constant lived-in mess. I will try that, thanks! I might also show them puppy photos of Brodie when she was ten times smaller and less 'intimidating'.

Edited by Ms Genki

Darkabsalom, what a good informative post. Thank you .

No problems, glad to help!

In terms answering you about people (not fluent in english) to move away I guess there's no black and white answer. IMO if the opposite side feels insecure and they move away thats fine. But if they signal you to move away...hmm no answer there, I guess you can let your dog move to the left side and somehow sign language to them that hes okay.

Perhaps an education program/leaflets in different languages would be worthwhile.

This is worthwhile for people migrating or staying here long term, just educating people from other culture that dogs in australia are actual friends/companions...not food..not necessarily guard dogs :champagne:

darkabsalom for sharing her experiences.

hahaha I'm humbled that you think i'm female but sorry to disappoint you I'm a HE! :champagne: I guess ms genki in your situation, to me the 2 most important things are good communication and reassurance. What more better way to establish communication than what you suggested? good ol muffins hahaha Personally i think food will enhance the relationship between you n your neighbours (but make sure the food is halal etc etc) Also writing a letter or even personally explaining to your neighbours that you understand their situation and their culture with dogs (even if you don't 100%) and explaining that in australia dogs are viewed as friends/companions etc etc then offer muffins + offer gettogether or just mini sessions for the families to get familiar with one of your dogs at a time. (keep reassuring that they are safe and your dogs are obe

I'm Chinese, we grew up in Malaysia, and my parents had a GSD X and other medium sized dogs...and we knew plenty of others who were dog savvy too.

yeah it all depends on whether the family grew up with pets in general. I was terrified but hey i saw some beautiful dogs and made the effort to get used to them and here i am! :dancingelephant:

Don't worry about people's reactions to your dogs.

I get people who are scared of my apricot standard poodle (25kg)- looks like a big teddy bear- and behaves like one.

He currently has a huge Elizabethan collar on (ripped out about 20 staples post-surgery) and someone asked me yesterday if he had it on "because he was vicious?" :rofl::

Face of the vicious beast :love: : trip1pb.jpg

I get people who are scared of my apricot standard poodle (25kg)- looks like a big teddy bear- and behaves like one.

He currently has a huge Elizabethan collar on (ripped out about 20 staples post-surgery) and someone asked me yesterday if he had it on "because he was vicious?" :scold::

Awwwww look at those sad puppy eyes! He must be so upset to be "coned up". The mind boggles. But I must admit I go weak on my knees when I spot a spider --- freaks me out. Teddies are fine even if they go to 250kg. :rofl:

I used to volunteer in the zoo back home and I was perfectly fine with working alongside huge animals (pumas, tigers, rhinos, giraffes)..but when a spider attaches itself to my clothes I go crazy. That's phobia. :laugh:

He currently has a huge Elizabethan collar on (ripped out about 20 staples post-surgery) and someone asked me yesterday if he had it on "because he was vicious?" :thumbsup::

Awwwww look at those sad puppy eyes! He must be so upset to be "coned up". The mind boggles. But I must admit I go weak on my knees when I spot a spider --- freaks me out. Teddies are fine even if they go to 250kg. :rofl:

I used to volunteer in the zoo back home and I was perfectly fine with working alongside huge animals (pumas, tigers, rhinos, giraffes)..but when a spider attaches itself to my clothes I go crazy. That's phobia. :(

Same :laugh: but then its the small things that will get you in the end isnt it! Out of all the big scarey animals my top ones to be scared of - otters when you clean out the pool, the swan, the Kangaroo and the koalas at feeding time :scold:

I have lots of people get scared of Lakota but from all back grounds. It really doesnt matter where they came from they still cross the road because GSDs have that stigma that they are viscious. However I never have to ove out the way - people literally go as far from me as they can, right across the road and in the opposite direction. It only annoys me say when you go to an offleash area and they go there and complain cause dogs approach them.

I did have a friend come over from korea and she really wanted to meet my dog seeing as she had never met one up close before but when she ran away from my cat I decided Lakota might just be a bit over whelming. She was shocked when I showed her with my hand just how big Lakota was :o. I did take her to the city to look at some animals and she was just amazed at the wildlife that was right there in the city. Although she was terrified of things she did really want to get to kow and understand them better, it was just dealing with that gut instinc to run as far and as fast as possible!

Yep - broad sweeping generalisation I think :rofl:

Depends entirely on the individual and their upbringing and experience, whether it be Asia, Africa or here in Australia!

I've had plenty of caucasian Aussies shy away from my two hounds (who I wouldn't consider to be overly large dogs)....some people just haven't grown up with dogs around them, or are used to small breeds I guess. :laugh:

Great post :love:

Sensible comment that it comes down to any individual's upbringing & experience.

Back where I grew up in Malaysia, The GSD was use mainly for 1 purpose only by the chinese, as guard dogs. The were kept around the property and would bark at anyone that passes by. As kids we used to hear all sorts of stories about being chased by them etc. :love:

Back where I grew up in Malaysia, The GSD was use mainly for 1 purpose only by the chinese, as guard dogs. The were kept around the property and would bark at anyone that passes by. As kids we used to hear all sorts of stories about being chased by them etc. :laugh:

Just saw that darkabsalom said something similar. Practically said what I wanted to, except much better! :love::rofl:

I own 4 German Shepherd Dogs, I have had people do wide berths of my dogs before, yank there kids out of the way, I dont blame them really, I blame the irresponsible owners who have in some way given them a bad name :rofl:

All I can do is show that my dogs are well behaved and friendly and most of all under control, I dont think everyone needs to come and give my dog a pat or cuddle :laugh:

Some people are also not dog people, or dont like that particular breed of dog, everyone has their own opinion, but I dont let them influence mine, I love my dogs and I love the breed and thats the most important thing :scold: if people want to have a pat or stop and chat, I am more than happy too, but if people want to do a wide berth cross the street and stay away, then I respect that too :o As long as it doesnt accompany snide comments or foul looks of course :love:

Some cultures just don't understand dog ownership.

I live in an area that has alot of asians and many are unsure about my border collies, they move off the path and try to generally stay away from them. There are a few that have no issues with dogs but many still do.

I also used to live in an area that had a large population of african refugees and I am involved with a youth group of predominately african kids and they have similar reactions to the dogs, they avoid them and don't want to be approached by them. Whenever the kids come to my place they are afraid of my dogs who are harmless but exuberant.

It doesn't bother me as I realise that they come from a completely different culture to me and I respect that they are afraid or cautious around dogs.

On this topic, as a kid we had a ridgeback and often took him with us to places like the esplanade in Cairns, which is anyone has ever been there is a major tourist strip. We used have to people (mostly Asians) stop and ask if they could take photos with this placid giant of a dog! He wouldn't even bother to get up to say hi and many of the tourists always thought he was pretty cool!!

I get the same thing, with people of various nationalities... It makes me angry as I make a concious effort to ensure Sasha is well behaved and does not invade people's space. We keep to ourselves and I keep her away from people unless they ask for a pat or show interest in her.

The other day, Sasha was trotting at my left side, right at my leg. A man ran around a bend past her and was on my right side about a metre away when he yelled out 'WILL HE BITE ME?'. Apart from the fact he had run in front of her, around her, around me and she hadn't even looked in his direction, wasn't pulling on the lead, not even lifted her ears in interest, hadn't even turned her head... and he was past me by the time he'd finished yelling... I just wanted to stop him and ask him 'ARE YOU SERIOUS?' - she's not even LOOKING AT YOU let alone showing any signs of wanting to BITE YOU.

I find these people infuriating. I respect that people don't all like dogs and ensure we keep respectable distance and mind our own business... but EXPECT people who don't like dogs to give me the same respect and leave me and my dog alone when we are not concerned with other people. Yelling like that not only scares a dog, but it makes people believe she has done something to arouse such a reaction.

I have people actually move their legs up onto the seat and cringe into their partners when we are walking past - again, Sasha hasn't paid them the slightest bit of attention... and I give them dirty looks for reacting so silly. I'd understand if Sasha was approaching them or paying them attention in any way, but otherwise it's just ridiculous and makes it uncomfortable for responsible dog owners.

I understand not everyone likes dogs, and that some people are afraid. But when someone is abiding by the laws and has good control of their dog, and the dog is not showing any interest in the people going by - then they should respect my right as a dog lover to have a dog and walk it in peace.

One day, with the ridiculous reactions I will have my say. I'm tired of it for no reason...

Some cultures just don't understand dog ownership.

It doesn't bother me as I realise that they come from a completely different culture to me and I respect that they are afraid or cautious around dogs.

Like the little kid we saw casually riding a water buffalo in the waters of Viet Nam. That animal terrified me, yet a scrawny little 7 year old was perfectly fine around it! Some cultures just don't see certain animals the way we do and vice versa, like the sacred cows of India etc etc

Many people in this country are scared of large dogs too. :love: Not only Chinese people. :o

Those of us who own GSD's and Rotties know only to well what it's like to take your gentle, loving dog anywhere and have some people nearly wet themselves with fear. :laugh::scold: All because of what's in some bloody newspaper. :rofl:

I am wary of Rotties but it's got nothing to do with newspapers, it's from my own experience with them, and not just a one off, 3 so far.

I get the same thing, with people of various nationalities... It makes me angry as I make a concious effort to ensure Sasha is well behaved and does not invade people's space. We keep to ourselves and I keep her away from people unless they ask for a pat or show interest in her.

The other day, Sasha was trotting at my left side, right at my leg. A man ran around a bend past her and was on my right side about a metre away when he yelled out 'WILL HE BITE ME?'. Apart from the fact he had run in front of her, around her, around me and she hadn't even looked in his direction, wasn't pulling on the lead, not even lifted her ears in interest, hadn't even turned her head... and he was past me by the time he'd finished yelling... I just wanted to stop him and ask him 'ARE YOU SERIOUS?' - she's not even LOOKING AT YOU let alone showing any signs of wanting to BITE YOU.

I find these people infuriating. I respect that people don't all like dogs and ensure we keep respectable distance and mind our own business... but EXPECT people who don't like dogs to give me the same respect and leave me and my dog alone when we are not concerned with other people. Yelling like that not only scares a dog, but it makes people believe she has done something to arouse such a reaction.

I have people actually move their legs up onto the seat and cringe into their partners when we are walking past - again, Sasha hasn't paid them the slightest bit of attention... and I give them dirty looks for reacting so silly. I'd understand if Sasha was approaching them or paying them attention in any way, but otherwise it's just ridiculous and makes it uncomfortable for responsible dog owners.

I understand not everyone likes dogs, and that some people are afraid. But when someone is abiding by the laws and has good control of their dog, and the dog is not showing any interest in the people going by - then they should respect my right as a dog lover to have a dog and walk it in peace.

One day, with the ridiculous reactions I will have my say. I'm tired of it for no reason...

THat's some pretty extreme reactions given Sasha looks like a bit of a softy from your banner pics?

My Mum is s-l-o-w-l-y getting used to bigger dogs (only because she loves coming to the dog park with Timmy) and it's taken 18 months. For some reason she's always had a fear of any big dogs (we're talking anything around the size of even a kelpie +). At first some owners were offended by her stand-offishness but others have been great and have really helped to a) educate her and b) help her overcome her fear.

I was gobsmacked a month or two back when she approached a rottie owner to ask for a pat at a dog day out. "Oh look at his big smoochy smile" she was fawning. This was miraculous for her.

I love dogs, but I'm wary of dogs when I'm out and about unless they are obviously well-behaved and under the control of their owners. I usually have my dog with me though, and being wary of other dogs is more for his sake than mine. He doesn't like rude dogs getting up in his face. I hope people don't think I'm scared of dogs cos I'm Asian.

And if I'm staring at your big Rottie or Shep or something I'm just admiring him/her :laugh: